Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2020 12:39:21 PM EDT
I have a box of Missouri Bullet Company coated bullets I am thinking of reloading for the 44 DE.

Any reason no to use?  

From what I am reading they should be GTG, but looking for opinions.

Doc
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 2:25:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 9:34:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I have not tested these coatings in a firearms environment, but it is my opinion you would be better off with the properties of metals (e.g. copper) when heat/pressure is involved pushing it through a gas port.  Because polymers flex, and their cohesion is higher than their adhesion usually, it is going to be harder to break off accumulations inside of an "anything".  Heat and time will age the polymer more than metallic accumulations, but that metal will be more likely to flake off and move through than a polymer.
On the flip side, you MIGHT be able to use a solvent on a polymer in ways you can not on lead and copper inside the Desert Eagle gas port.

This is not something I want to experiment with however... and as Garret said, there are many kinds of polymer coating and they could change formula over time.  What works today might not work tomorrow, where copper jackets and plating are pretty consistent.

I would like to know how it goes over time if you really run a lot through it though. :)

MrBlackCat
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 9:41:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't care for coated bullets.

I have had the coating wear off and expose lead in the barrel.

I also have seen many fired pistol bullets with the coating worn off in the grooves.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top