Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2020 8:51:57 PM EDT
Thinking to get a Chiappa Rhino as my next gun. Only revolver I have is a GP100 6" .357 that used to belong to my father. Used revolvers for 10 years in with the department of corrections in Georgia before going to Glocks though so I shoot them well. But technically I have never bought my own revolver and have an ich for one as a range and home gun. Gun is sold out everywhere and it's ok as it will take me a few months to save up or a stimulus check if they ever figure that mess out to get one.

I am looking at the black 40DS or 50Ds in 357 magnum. Want a magnum to share ammo with my dad's old gun. I don't like the GP100 as it too big and heavy to me so how does the 40DS or 50Ds compare if anyone has one. Torn on which length to get and its very unlikely any place within 200 miles of me will ever have one I can hold to make a decision with.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 9:54:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I would lean towards the 4”, but that is just me.  I have heard mixed reviews about them, but still want one.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 9:58:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would lean towards the 4", but that is just me.  I have heard mixed reviews about them, but still want one.
View Quote
Yeah I was leaning that way too but the 5 looks to have better proportions hence why I am torn, plus I saw once that its shorter than other revolveres the same length due to the grip? Cant find that info anymore.
Saw the mixed reviews but from what little I can find the main issue was the gen 1 guns which are all gone now from what I heard, plus saw they will upgrade a Gen 1 to a 2 for free if you get one.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 1:02:05 PM EDT
[#3]
The 6" GP is listed at 45 oz and the 5" Rhino at 31.6 oz so that's significantly lighter.  

I find the Rhino interesting but IMO it's insanely overpriced.  If it were more reasonably priced I might consider them but I don't see that happening.  

My sister has wanted a 4" white Rhino for years but even before 2020 it was difficult to find one.  She still wants one but the price finally put her off buying one.  

If you get one post up what you think of it, I'm curious to hear a first hand review.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 3:08:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I am interested in one, but have zero interest in the aluminum frame versions.  I've seen some reviews where the cylinder crane's case aluminum broke, which isn't a comforting thought, especially with what happens to them during a catastrophic failure.

They just introduced an actual stainless one in 3"; if that comes out in a 4" or 5", I'll buy one, especially if it has the top and bottom mounted rails.  I imagine the strength of the SS will be notably better than any aluminum.

When I worked a counter, we eventually had some of the 2" guns roll through.  The shorter barrels are a waste of the design, IMO.  But the DA was relatively short and crisp, and I liked the overall mechanics of it.  I just want it in actual SS, rather than the nickel plate.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 3:39:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I was interested in it til we had a gunsmith thread where someone had brought one in cocked (and loaded) into his shop b/c the external cocking lever had come off the actual hammer.  He had to disassemble a cocked, loaded gun.  Then in that thread or elsewhere someone pointed out what was going to happen if a cylinder let go.  I've seen pics where top straps are peeled back - in this case, the gas would go straight into your trigger finger.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 8:34:01 PM EDT
[#6]
There was one available for rental at a local range. The gunsmith told me it gave him nothing but problems.

In my experience, Chiappa guns look better than they shoot.

Link Posted: 12/25/2020 9:30:44 PM EDT
[#7]
The firm in Italy is back making the Mateba revolver again

The Rhino versions were being sold in the UK for a while in 9mm, but as carbine type(-ish) versions
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:24:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Should be able to afford it by mid or end of january.
Anyone know a place that carries it in the 50 DS or 40DS in black (would prefer the 50 DS)? I found varying prices from 809 to 1197 with the average being 850 roughly but no one has one in stock around here or online that I can find other than a shop in Germany and that's a no go.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 10:59:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thinking to get a Chiappa Rhino as my next gun. Only revolver I have is a GP100 6" .357 that used to belong to my father. Used revolvers for 10 years in with the department of corrections in Georgia before going to Glocks though so I shoot them well. But technically I have never bought my own revolver and have an ich for one as a range and home gun. Gun is sold out everywhere and it's ok as it will take me a few months to save up or a stimulus check if they ever figure that mess out to get one.

I am looking at the black 40DS or 50Ds in 357 magnum. Want a magnum to share ammo with my dad's old gun. I don't like the GP100 as it too big and heavy to me so how does the 40DS or 50Ds compare if anyone has one. Torn on which length to get and its very unlikely any place within 200 miles of me will ever have one I can hold to make a decision with.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

I had a 30DS and I sold it. I still regret it and want a 30DS Hunter for carry, and would like a 50DS as well. It was very accurate and you could shoot a cylinder very fast and accurate. Just need to be mindful on your thumb if you shoot thumbs forward.

It surprised me how accurate it was, more accurate than my S&W 686 4" and that one was my most accurate revolver (had a 3" model 60 and a 2.625" 627). There is almost no muzzle flip even with full loads using h110.

I've been looking too and they are sold out everywhere. I have a bunch of in stock alerts set, o my place I've seen is gunbroker but I'm not paying those prices. I'm holding out for the 850-900 range.

The 30DS concealed well IWB with a TTgunleather holster. I'd like another 30DS for carry and a 50DS for range and hunting.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 11:38:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah I was trying to hold out too but the Chiappas are drying up. Found a 50DS in stock and it sold out before I could finish inputting my info, it was at $890. Now I am bidding on one on gunbroker and will pay more than its worth but I wanna get it while I can since I dont see 2021 being any better for the 2nd amendment.
On an aside note I was hoping to get it and go shoot with my Uncle when I visit him coming up but unfortunately I was just informed he died from Covid this morning while I was on duty so they didn't tell me till I got home. They also didn't tell me he had just been told he had it this week too, i never knew he was sick. When he started policing he carried a revolver, .357 and a backup 38, former FBI Agent, Atlanta PD, State Investigator and member of the Airforce, looked up to him as much as my dad. He had to use his on duty back in the day unfortunately and I would have loved to see what he thought of the Chiappa. Also just told my Aunt has it but is ok (positive but not showing signs) and I wont be able to attend the funeral and he will be cremated due to restrictions and I wont make it there in time.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:03:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Sorry to hear, OP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top