Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2020 6:51:43 PM EDT
I have had two failures of 45 brass in my 1911. The cases blew out near the rim, broke my grips and ruined a magazine. Any tips on culling bad brass? Some brass was range pick ups. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I would post this in Armory/Reloading.

I bet you will get better feedback.

Link Posted: 12/18/2020 7:03:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 7:34:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I've loaded and shot many thousands of rounds of 45acp using the same brass over and over again and have never had this happen even once.

Like the other poster stated, check your load data and charge weight.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 10:25:00 AM EDT
[#4]
My first thought was old, over used brass. Any idea of the mileage on the brass? If this was a 40SW I would be about 99% sure it was the case but with low pressure 45...

I've seen brass blow out exactly the same way in 9mm. I've also had an aluminum case (not a reload) burst in a much smaller less dramatic way that ruined the barrel by "welding" aluminum splatter to the chamber.

So bad, (too many reloads) brass combined with a hot load?
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 12:52:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've loaded and shot many thousands of rounds of 45acp using the same brass over and over again and have never had this happen even once.

Like the other poster stated, check your load data and charge weight.
View Quote

Agree here. I have been reloading 45 for about 40 years now and have never had this happen. Definitely confirm your load data.
FWIW some of the brass I continue to use is pre world war 2 head stamped military stuff from the 1930’s
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 7:13:36 PM EDT
[#6]
OP, can you give us the load data ?  What powder did you use and charge weight?  What bullet and it’s weight?

That looks like case failure due to too hot of a load.

Link Posted: 1/7/2021 10:16:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Never counted how many times I've reloaded .45 brass.  Never had any fail like that.  Just an occasional crack/split at the case mouth, but that's pretty rare.  Yeah, got brass loaded up right now that I've had since the late 70's, early 80's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top