Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2021 12:30:29 AM EDT
Seen some in stock but know zero about them...

Where are they made? How good are the actions?
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:44:38 AM EDT
[#1]
They're inexpensive, but reasonable. Decent trigger, but not up to golden-era S&W standards. I think they all get a factory Hogue grip, or at least all the ones I've ever handled came that way out of the box.

American made in CT, as far as I know.

I've still got a couple 22lr pathfinders, but I was never happy with them in bigger calibers.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:56:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I had one where the little screw that held the cylinder release fell out. It was annoying and a pain to fix, but otherwise it worked well. It was also kinda old. I lost a lot of tiny springs until I farmed it out. Uncomfortable to shoot though, but I'm not a fan of revolvers so there's that...
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 1:13:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Brother has one of their 5 shot 38 cal. snubby. Its a good little gun. Comparing it to a smith or Taurus I remember the edges and checkering on the hammer spur were sharp and you could really feel the edges on everything.
It shot fine. I dont remember the trigger. Ive thought of getting one for the hell of it. I like cheap snub nosed revolvers for some reason.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 1:40:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Get their steel frame - the aluminums are so light they're a pain to shoot.  Got the boy the Southpaw, and it's uncomfortable w/ Cowboy Action loads.  My EDC is a 23.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 1:46:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a Undercover Lite 38, it was light and a pain to shoot. I sold it when I graduated to 357

I have a 44 Bulldog that is light and a pain to shoot, but it puts big holes in things.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 7:06:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Made in Connecticut, with a lifetime warranty.

I have 2 Pathfinders in 22LR, 4" and 2" barrel models.

I bought the 4" about 10yrs ago and has been trouble free. The 2" I bought last year and got to experience their customer service. Not because of mfg defect but because of customers in the gun shop fingerbanging it the chambers were all damaged from the firing pin. Explained the issue to CS and they sent me not just a shipping label but also a box to return it in. Turnaround was fast and they fixed it right up with no hassles and returned it with a new pistol case.

The only real issue I have read about with Charter are the screws may loosen up on occasion.

They are less refined than a s&w. Cosmetics are sometimes lacking but the price reflects that.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 7:56:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Charter Arms has gone thru some good and bad times.  There early guns were very good.  I'm still shooting my 67' vintage 3" blue Bulldog.  And had access at one time to a 4" Tracker in .357 (Bulldog frame) that did good service with .38s and light .357 Mags.
Heavy mags hurt.  They restructured in the early 90s as CharCo and then Charter2000.  One of those two produced some lousey guns and customer service was lacking.  They reorganized to present day and producing a good product again.  I also had a AR-7 rifle from them early 80s while in High School.  Ex DIL has a Pink Lady 12oz 5 shot .38 SPL that I have never missed with.  This was produced after 08'.

CD
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 10:09:03 AM EDT
[#8]
A known issue with at least some models, is the cylinder release pin screwing itself in a slight bit and the result is great difficulty opening the cylinder.

The only Charter Arms I own did that and research into how to get it open shows that many people have had the problem.

No longer a gun I'd trust for more than the duration of what ammo is in the cylinder.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 10:50:44 AM EDT
[#9]
As others have mentioned Charter has a somewhat convoluted history.  The early Bridgeport and Stratford guns are quite nice.  In some respects I like them better than Smith J frames.  The Charco and Charter 2000 era guns can be suspect.  By all accounts their current offerings are decent.    As with any snub, they can be handful to shoot depending on which load to use.  

I have three, all early Bridgeport or Stratford guns.  A three inch 38 Undercover, a 44 Special Bulldog, and a 22 Pathfinder.  Had two inch UC that I sold to a friend.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:10:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a Charter Arms .44 Special many years ago and it was actually a decent gun. Like others have said, not S&W or Ruger quality but I wouldn't mind having one now even. It was pretty accurate the trigger pull, from what I remember, was not that bad.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 4:35:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I own two Charter 2000 revolvers that I bought new in 2000: an Undercover .38spl & Bulldog .44spl. Both stainless. By no means a Smith or Ruger in the smooth action or quality comparison department. But they both go bang every time I pull the trigger. Made to be shot little and carried a lot IMHO. The Undercover is always in the desk drawer where I'm now sitting, and the Bulldog is out in the TV room. Take them both out to the range once a year to keep them sweet.

I had to send the Bulldog back to the factory when new due to the rubber grips were hanging up the mainspring (and that was with a loose grip screw). New grips solved the problem. No issues with Undercover other than the crane screw has been known to loosen up. I hear positive feedback on the current Charter Arms revolvers, but I have no experience with them....
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 6:14:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got a bulldog I bought probably 8 years ago. I don't use it much. I really like it and I think compared to a smith with a lock, I'd take the charter all day. And I've got several smiths.

People are talking about smith and ruger, the thing is they all make different stuff. Neither of them make a snub nose .44 or at least as small as the bulldog. Ruger doesn't make anything light weight, everything is a tank.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 7:01:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got a bulldog I bought probably 8 years ago. I don't use it much. I really like it and I think compared to a smith with a lock, I'd take the charter all day. And I've got several smiths.

People are talking about smith and ruger, the thing is they all make different stuff. Neither of them make a snub nose .44 or at least as small as the bulldog. Ruger doesn't make anything light weight, everything is a tank.
View Quote

Ruger does have the LCR/LCRx lightweight small revolvers 15-17 ozs.  Available in .38 SPL/.357 Mag but nothing in .44 SPL however.    Ruger and Charter Arms do chamber for the 9x19.  CA also has chamberings for .40 S&W, .45 ACP, .41 Mag and .45 Colt on the Bulldog frame.

CD
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 7:29:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I have one of their recent production .32H&R Mag “Professional” models.
Wonderful idea. Poor reality.
Gun was WAY off point of aim. Required a trip back the factory for Point of Aim vs Point of Impact re-regulation.
Its better now but still not dead on.
Trigger has a weird lock up thing going on. It will work fine for 87 rounds then just lock up and refuse to cock or release. Open the cylinder clears it.
No rhyme or reason to it.  Very intermittent. D/A pull sucks  S/A is nice.
Cylinder opening is sticky. Closing is very gritty and difficult. It takes two hands to do smoothly.
Factory grip sucks.
No speed loaders are made for it.

Do not FO.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 9:40:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I have the bulldog 45 colt. That things a hand cannon.  It has a really good single action trigger imo.

Although,  it has cycling problems.  If you pull the trigger fast,  some times it doesn't advance. I've got to send it back ti then to fix it just haven't had time.  

The costumer service is actually great.  After sending an email about it,  i had a reply the next morning,  and replacement parts in the mail the next day.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:57:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have one of their recent production .32H&R Mag "Professional" models.
Gun was WAY off point of aim. Required a trip back the factory for Point of Aim vs Point of Impact re-regulation.
Trigger has a weird lock up thing going on. It will work fine for 87 rounds then just lock up and refuse to cock or release. Open the cylinder clears it.
Cylinder opening is sticky. Closing is very gritty and difficult. It takes two hands to do smoothly.
Factory grip sucks.

Do not FO.
View Quote

I've got a .22 coming my way; keeping my fingers crossed I don't experience these issues, but am now prepared to keep an eye out for them.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 5:14:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have one of their recent production .32H&R Mag “Professional” models.
Factory grip sucks.

Do not FO.
View Quote

That's a shame. Is it this model? A 3" 7 shot .32 H&R is an attractive concept.
https://charterfirearms.com/collections/nitride/products/model-63270
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:01:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Bought a Charter Pathfinder Target (4" SS six shot 22LR) a few months back. It is my first .22LR revolver. It has seriously knocked a hole in my .22 supply. Love shooting it. Only real issue is ejecting spent cases gets stiff after it gets dirty, but i just clean it. I notice Charter's new productiin are 8 shot, so I'm not sure how old mine is.

Saw another Charter show up at a LGS last week. This was a used Target Bulldog (4" SS.38/357) five shot. Looks almost identical to the other save for the barrel and cylinder. Got to thinking that light a frame that it would be a bear running full house .357 mag Underwood hards, but it will likely only see .38s and .38+p. I reload, so as soon as the dies arrive i will experiment. I did scrounge up a batch of WWB .38SPL FMJ to try it. Stood off at 25 yards and put all five on one of my 8" plates doing single action, offhand. I'm satified.

The only real improvement I'd make would be to "melt" the hardish edges on both. "Fit" looks good, but external "finish" is a tad rough.

The pair. .357 on top.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:48:17 AM EDT
[#19]
I currently own 2. A 44 Bulldog manf in 2016, and a 9mm Pitbull, manf in 2018.

Both, as everyone is saying, are a bit rough around the edges. Neither are really all that comfortable to shoot, especially the Pitbull, which is miserable.

The Bulldog works 99% of the time, I've only had a very rare few light primer strikes in the time I've owned it. The cylinder release gives me fits sometimes, not wanting to release. I've tried messing around with it, but with little success. It is a "TCB" around the house gun that I have no problem scratching up hiding it in various places. I view it like a hammer, it's a tool, not a toy.

The Pitbull is one of the most miserable little things I've ever owned. It is absolutely horrid to shoot, it will grind my trigger finger raw and 9mm is a FILTHY round in a revolver. Even worse, one of the detents that hold the round in place simply fell out one day. I need to send it back in for repair...so I can sell the stupid thing. I hate it that much.

One other thing, the front sight posts on both are sky-freaking-high. If you try a proper hold, they will shoot insanely low at even a short distance. I've tried all kinds of ammo/loads...it doesn't matter. Some told me to grind down the front post (something I refuse to do), one guy gave me a advice of "painting" the target with the entire sight post...that actually works.

In short, they're tools, they not fun, they're not refined...but they're cheap and do their job.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 10:35:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Bought a Charter Pathfinder Target (4" SS six shot 22LR) a few months back. It is my first .22LR revolver. It has seriously knocked a hole in my .22 supply. Love shooting it. Only real issue is ejecting spent cases gets stiff after it gets dirty, but i just clean it. I notice Charter's new productiin are 8 shot, so I'm not sure how old mine is.

Saw another Charter show up at a LGS last week. This was a used Target Bulldog (4" SS.38/357) five shot. Looks almost identical to the other save for the barrel and cylinder. Got to thinking that light a frame that it would be a bear running full house .357 mag Underwood hards, but it will likely only see .38s and .38+p. I reload, so as soon as the dies arrive i will experiment. I did scrounge up a batch of WWB .38SPL FMJ to try it. Stood off at 25 yards and put all five on one of my 8" plates doing single action, offhand. I'm satified.

The only real improvement I'd make would be to "melt" the hardish edges on both. "Fit" looks good, but external "finish" is a tad rough.

The pair. .357 on top.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/413035/20210517_105412_jpg-1945677.JPG
View Quote
I ordered a pathfinder from an online vendor with a return policy.  I was impressed with the quality for the price.  It shot great, but extraction was janky due to previous owner peening the chamber; I basically had to hammer the extractor rod to get the rounds out.  The cylinder popped backwards because there isn't a frame mounted cylinder stop.

I sent it back for a refund, but not before ordering a full size wooden grip for it .  Part of the reason is because that same vendor had an alternative option that I had considered come into stock, and I used the money from the Charter refund on the other item.  Otherwise I would've gladly sent it in and had Charter work it over, it was a nice lightweight and accurate little thing.

I really wanted that one to work out for my purposes, but the confluence of events (cylinder popping off, it needing to go somewhere anyway, and the vendor getting something else I wanted in stock) meant that I only owned it for 2 days.  I might buy another pathfinder on down the road.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:  The Pitbull is one of the most miserable little things I've ever owned. It is absolutely horrid to shoot, it will grind my trigger finger raw and 9mm is a FILTHY round in a revolver. Even worse, one of the detents that hold the round in place simply fell out one day. I need to send it back in for repair...so I can sell the stupid thing. I hate it that much.
View Quote

Sorry to hear that.  I hated 9x19mm in the SP 101 til I put a Hogue Monogrip on it, but the boy's Southpaw has a nice set of grips.  Sadly, the damn thing is nearly completely aluminum & anything stronger than wadcutters is like setting off a hand cannon.  The Pitbull is their steel frame, no?
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:44:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Sorry to hear that.  I hated 9x19mm in the SP 101 til I put a Hogue Monogrip on it, but the boy's Southpaw has a nice set of grips.  Sadly, the damn thing is nearly completely aluminum & anything stronger than wadcutters is like setting off a hand cannon.  The Pitbull is their steel frame, no?
View Quote

Yes, it is stainless steel.

I'll admit that I'm not really a fan of most small revolvers, I have tried and failed to have many of them over the years. The Bulldog is a handful. At 19oz, with some hotter 44 spcl, it can really get snappy. I can tolerate the thing.

The Pitbull, at least my Pitbull, weighs in at 20oz. 9mm is a high pressure round and for some reason, it is just a snappy little sucker. I'll say it to this day, the most miserable firearm that I've ever shot was a Kep Tec PF9...it is amazingly unpleasant. For some reason, the Pitbull will smack my trigger finger around, to the point of making it raw. Empty extraction is also a massive pain as the brass will stick in the cylinder. Every time I take it to the range (which isn't very often, anymore), I have to make sure I have something to smack against the extractor rod because it requires so much force that whacking it my had really sucks.

Either way, I may be wrong, but I think this is less Charter and more an ill-fit for a round.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:18:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'll admit that I'm not really a fan of most small revolvers, I have tried and failed to have many of them over the years. The Bulldog is a handful. At 19oz, with some hotter 44 spcl, it can really get snappy. I can tolerate the thing.

The Pitbull, at least my Pitbull, weighs in at 20oz. 9mm is a high pressure round and for some reason, it is just a snappy little sucker. I'll say it to this day, the most miserable firearm that I've ever shot was a Kep Tec PF9...it is amazingly unpleasant. For some reason, the Pitbull will smack my trigger finger around, to the point of making it raw. Empty extraction is also a massive pain as the brass will stick in the cylinder. Every time I take it to the range (which isn't very often, anymore), I have to make sure I have something to smack against the extractor rod because it requires so much force that whacking it my had really sucks.

Either way, I may be wrong, but I think this is less Charter and more an ill-fit for a round.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Sorry to hear that.  I hated 9x19mm in the SP 101 til I put a Hogue Monogrip on it, but the boy's Southpaw has a nice set of grips.  Sadly, the damn thing is nearly completely aluminum & anything stronger than wadcutters is like setting off a hand cannon.  The Pitbull is their steel frame, no?

9x19mm is way too much in a light revolver.  The Ruger 9x19mm is 25 oz, and wasn't tolerable to shoot until I got the Hogue Monogrip on it.  Originally had one chamber that stuck, but have shot it enough that now only steel sticks & I press em out by pushing the rod against the shooting bench.  If you find anyone fitting 3" bbls to a Charter, let me know - the boy's Southpaw could use another inch on the bbl for weight, and so could the Ruger.

We're used to 9x19mm in a semi-auto, where the recoiling slide soaks up some of the recoil & spreads it out over time.  A revolver delivers that recoil to you all at once.

ETA:  Just found this:

Rock Island's New AL9.0 9mm Revolver
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

9x19mm is way too much in a light revolver.  The Ruger 9x19mm is 25 oz, and wasn't tolerable to shoot until I got the Hogue Monogrip on it.  Originally had one chamber that stuck, but have shot it enough that now only steel sticks & I press em out by pushing the rod against the shooting bench.  If you find anyone fitting 3" bbls to a Charter, let me know - the boy's Southpaw could use another inch on the bbl for weight, and so could the Ruger.

We're used to 9x19mm in a semi-auto, where the recoiling slide soaks up some of the recoil & spreads it out over time.  A revolver delivers that recoil to you all at once.
View Quote

Try calling charter to have a 3" barrel put on. My understanding is that they will do 1 off configurations.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 2:16:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Try calling charter to have a 3" barrel put on. My understanding is that they will do 1 off configurations.
View Quote

I did - they won't do a left-handed 3".
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 8:14:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I did - they won't do a left-handed 3".
View Quote

WTH is the difference? Does south paw models have left hand threads on the barrel?
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 8:20:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
WTH is the difference? Does south paw models have left hand threads on the barrel?
View Quote

Cylinder rod cut on the barrel would have to go on the opposite side. Not as simple as just pull one barrel off and toss on another… they would need to tool up to make that barrel profile.

Probably not worth it for a one off.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 8:29:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I have my Dad's 38 Undercover. From the early 70's. I also have the original box.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 8:56:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:  Cylinder rod cut on the barrel would have to go on the opposite side. Not as simple as just pull one barrel off and toss on another… they would need to tool up to make that barrel profile.

View Quote

I'd settle for an exposed ejector rod - they still wouldn't do it.  If y'all find any smiths installing longer bbls on Charters or Rugers, lemme know.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 6:12:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Cylinder rod cut on the barrel would have to go on the opposite side. Not as simple as just pull one barrel off and toss on another… they would need to tool up to make that barrel profile.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahhhhhh, forgot about that part

When the limitations of automation shine through. 30 yrs ago they could have gone in the back and asked him to just cut a fresh one on the other side. Today, well we are going to have to write a program for the machine and...
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 6:55:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
When the limitations of automation shine through. 30 yrs ago they could have gone in the back and asked him to just cut a fresh one on the other side. Today, well we are going to have to write a program for the machine and...
View Quote

Well, yeah. But the machinist who could do that without a program being written retired 20 yrs ago, and they hired an infant out of college to write the program to replace that machinist.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 8:03:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Well, yeah. But the machinist who could do that without a program being written retired 20 yrs ago, and they hired an infant out of college to write the program to replace that machinist.
View Quote

Yes, unfortunately that too in some places.
We have a machine shop at work, some equipment is well over 60 yrs old in there. With 40 year age gaps in the shop personnel. A lot of skill and capability in there.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:37:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:  Yes, it is stainless steel.

View Quote

This you?  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top