Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2022 3:18:28 PM EDT
I'm looking for an inexpensive revolver, as Smiths and Colts are more than I want to pay for a car gun, I'm considering Charter Arms.

I owned a .44 Bulldog about 35 years ago, it was a decent little gun, didn't shoot it much, maybe 50 rounds a year.  I'd like another .44 but ammunition is stupid expensive and I'm considering  a .38.

How is CA quality today?  Thoughts on their current .44s and .38s?

I'd appreciate all advice and thoughts.

Link Posted: 5/2/2022 3:49:35 PM EDT
[#1]
The last one I had was 1994 in 38 special and I had to send it back because I fired 3 rounds and it broke. I couldn’t even get the cylinder open to get the live rounds out. I had an early 70’s one that was good to go but would rather have a Taurus over a CA.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 4:11:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Armscor makes a 38 snubbie. James Reeves at TFBTV likes it.

This is The Best Budget Revolver ($259 MSRP)
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 4:14:09 PM EDT
[#3]
You can buy a used S&w revolver for similar money to a new charter arms
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 4:35:10 PM EDT
[#4]
The older Charters, the Bridgeport and Stratford guns, are really quite nice and can still be found on the used market.  I have three.  The later ones can be spotty.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 6:36:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Guns.com still has m64s for under $400.

Link Posted: 5/2/2022 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I had an Undercover .38spl in the early 80s. It was okay though I didn't shoot it much. Much more recently I had a dual cylinder 22LR/22M Pathfinder. It went back to the factory in CT twice. After the second return I sold it just on principle.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 7:01:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I have my Dad's 1975 Undercover. I carry it all the time in an old Buchiemer holster. I have the original box....he bought it at Munden's Discount store.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I have two .44 Bulldogs and had to send both back for repair of timing issues right out of the box.  Mine are range toys more than anything else. If I needed a revolver for defense, I'd spend a little more and get a S&W.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 11:04:51 PM EDT
[#9]
They are a bit rough. My mom has the .357 version. It works, so far. I've only fired it with .38spl and so has she. The recoil isn't bad and everything seems to be functioning properly.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:50:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Charter Arms revolvers (in my opinion) are to be carried a lot, and not shot a lot. I have a Bulldog and Undercover from the previous Charter 2000 company I purchased new in 2000. I did have to return the Bulldog due to light primer hits (the grips were defective and compressing the mainspring). No problems since. I don't carry either revolvers but they are desk guns in my home and they always go bang when I taken them out once a year. If you want a daily CCW revolver I'd look at S&W or Rugers.

Link Posted: 5/3/2022 12:01:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a bought new 2 years ago 'PITBULL' in 40 S&W. I wanted a pocket revolver that matched my Glock 23 ammo. I use it as an easier to get to back up pocket pistol in a winter coat, and was going to use it as a back up filled with snake shot in the warmer weather.

It's accurate at 10 yards with my 165 grain Winchester Ranger bonded. When I tried shooting the CCI snake shot to carry when hiking, after the first shot the case locked up the cylinder so bad that I had to remove the latch and drive the cylinder out with a wooden mallet.

The edges on the hammer, trigger, and trigger guard were so sharp that I had to grind them down because they would dig into my skin. I have extra large hands so maybe smaller hands won't matter because no one else has mentioned the problem.

I replaced the factory grips with smaller, smoother one's to get it out of my pocket easier.

If going for a primary, just get a Smith, or Ruger.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 4:47:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Armscor makes a 38 snubbie. James Reeves at TFBTV likes it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWR43NARZY8
View Quote

This is my suggestion aswell.

I had a little time with a Charter Arms .38 snubbie I dont know the exact model but it was pink. A buddies buddies wifes gun. It was okay. Very light and snappy. Small and easy to handle. I wouldnt consider it a fun gun but a beater tool sure.
ETA
If given the choice my Rock Island/Armscore would be my choice. A bit more bulky and heavy. Easier to control with my medium sized hands. Plus an extra round.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 5:38:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Got my son the Southpaw.  Unless you're a lefty, get one of their steel frames.  Fatalwishes kept his .44 SPL as his bedside gun.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 5:38:35 PM EDT
[#14]
If I was in need of a super cheap revolver I'd probably get the Armscor mentioned above.  Charter has been pretty sketchy the last several years in my opinion.  

If this is something you plan on carrying/depending on for self defense, I'd look for a used S&W or Ruger.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I purchased one of C/A’s .32H&Rmag Professional models a couple of years ago.
Very neat idea but the gun was garbage.
Fixed sights WAY off. Trip back to factory didn’t resolve the issue.
Then the thing started to intermittently lock up during trigger pull. The little locking piece in the action was catching on the hammer during double action. Another factory trip didn’t fix that either. Honestly I don’t think they even touched the thing. Just cocked it a couple of times said its fine and sent it back.
I got so pissed at the thing I cut it up with a band saw so no one would ever have to suffer with it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 10:27:46 PM EDT
[#16]
While the Armscor M206 is dependable, it makes a Taurus look and feel like a S&W in comparison. Yes I looked heavily at the Armscor M206 before buying my Taurus 856 and there was a night and day difference on how each was finished and how smooth the action was. I also compared a Charter Arms 38 at the same time. While the Charter was smoother than the Armscor, I went with the Taurus. It had the best fit and finish out of the three. I am far from a brand snob and would have bought the Armscor or Charter. The Armscor was definitely cheaper and it felt like it too. The Charter was real close to the Taurus in price but not in quality. Which is saying something since Taurus gets a bad rap at times too.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 8:12:00 AM EDT
[#17]
So the Taurus revolver quality is decent?  Asking because my daughter wants a revolver.  I have S&W myself.  The RIA M200 is cheap but has a parkerized finish.  I dunno about that.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 10:23:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So the Taurus revolver quality is decent?  Asking because my daughter wants a revolver.  I have S&W myself.  The RIA M200 is cheap but has a parkerized finish.  I dunno about that.
View Quote

The finish is fine.  It's all a question of how long will the revolver stay in time w/o maintenance.  If it's a glove box gun, RIA will work fine.  A snake pistol, RIA will work fine unless you live in Sweetwater.  A training gun for competition you put thousands of rounds through a year?  Smith, Kimber, Ruger, maybe Colt.  Taurus and the Caech revolver imported by RIA are somewhere in between.

If she's going to carry it, and train moderately w/ it, the Taurus will likely do fine for her.  If she's your princess and you want her to have the best, Smith or Kimber.  If she just wants something for the glove box, RIA.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 10:30:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The last one I had was 1994 in 38 special and I had to send it back because I fired 3 rounds and it broke. I couldn’t even get the cylinder open to get the live rounds out. I had an early 70’s one that was good to go but would rather have a Taurus over a CA.
View Quote

I had the same experience with Taurus. Bit mine broke during dryfire without even going to the range.

The price difference between Taurus vs Ruger/SW is worth it for the warranty alone.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 10:56:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know that Taurus has gotten a bad rap for quality issues over the years, Just like Charter Arms. But the three I have all work well and zero issues. I have a 22 year old M85 along with a new M856 (2022) and M942 (2020).

By all means get a S&W if you can afford it and/or plan on shooting 1,000's of rounds through it per year. But for those that need a revolver and can't afford a S&W, then I personally recommend the Taurus.

While Armscor has excellent customer service if it is needed, I just couldn't get over how rough all of the M206 samples I tried were as far as function goes. Everything felt really gritty and rough.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 11:15:25 AM EDT
[#21]
If you buy a Taurus, buy it in person and validate timing, etc.  I have had issues with both Charter and Taurus timing with guns I bought from Gunbroker and Gunprime.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 4:43:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You can buy a used S&w revolver for similar money to a new charter arms
View Quote

This is true. Especially if you look around for deals on gunbroker and such, j-frame smiths can be had for roughly (maybe a $30-40 more) the same price as a new charter arms.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:39:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Guns.com still has m64s for under $400.

View Quote

I ordered one on the 8th and it was still $395.99, but now they're up to $439.99.  the one I got is really nice, hardly any wear on it at all.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 4:01:24 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm still shooting my 67' 3" Bulldog and DIL has a 2" Pink Lady .38 SPL that doesn't have any issues that I'm aware of.  Just picked up a RIA M200 4" .38 SPL when home this month for the wife.  Didn't get a chance to fire it yet but it ran $260ish new.

CD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top