Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2018 7:46:46 AM EDT
Looking at the .44 Pug for CCW. Anyone here with long term experience with this revolver? Yea/Nay?
Tia, Ray
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:02:08 AM EDT
[#1]
No experience, but have wanted one since the movie Manhunter, prequel to Silence of the Lambs.  It would definitely be heavier than an aluminum j-frame.  If you get one load it with Glaser safety slugs.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:15:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the pug with the factory bobbed hammer and pachmeyer grip. Concealable light weight large bore revolver. Never had any problems with it.

I have had it 20+ years
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:06:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the pug with the factory bobbed hammer and pachmeyer grip. Concealable light weight large bore revolver. Never had any problems with it.

I have had it 20+ years
View Quote
Shoot it much? Ammo?
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 10:48:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I had one back in the 80s and wish I still did!

A soft cast 265 gr. Keith style SWC over 5 grains of Unique is what I loaded for it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 6:18:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Shoot it much? Ammo?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have had it 20+ years
Shoot it much? Ammo?
It is definitely not a target pistol. With that big bore and short barrel there's no doubt in anyone's mind that it is loaded, you can see the bullets in the chambers. With that being said I'll probably put 500 rounds through it in the 20 years I've had it. Never had any problems nothing has ever broken.

without going down to the safe to look I think at the present time I have Winchester silver tips in it and the couple of speed loaders I have. Not even sure if it's available anymore?
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 6:46:59 PM EDT
[#6]
They are light weight and pack a punch with the right load. I have never had any problems with the one I own.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 7:03:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I've owned a Charter Arms Bulldog Pug since 2000 (Charter 2000 Mfg) during a restructure time before they went back to Charter Arms. I had to send it back to the factory once since the original rubber grips dug into the mainspring and gave me light primer hits. No problems since. By no means is this a target gun, or one that needs to be shot a lot with hot loads. If you want a wheel gun to shoot with hot loads or weekly buy a Smith or a Ruger.

I really like this revolver though. Lightweight, always goes bang, and makes a big hole. I take it out maybe twice a year to the range to keep it sweet (along with it's little brother Undercover 38spl that I bought at same time). I don't CCW it, but it's a house gun that's kept out in the open in a Mika pocket holster to keep out the dust. It's loaded with Hornady XTP Personal defense loads that shoot quite nicely out to 15yds.

I believe the newer Charter Arms are a little better built from what I've heard. But then again I'll never get rid of this one..... hope this help.

Link Posted: 11/24/2018 8:53:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank y'all for taking the time to post.
Kinda what I figured. Not junk, but not for high round count shooting/hot loads.
Might go with a Pug for a CC option.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 10:34:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the same gun as the above, the Bulldog Pug in stainless.

It's a good gun.  They're not as smooth as a S&W but I got mine for 350 or 400 bucks or so, so you get what you pay for.

Mine's always fired without any issues, and I trust it for defense.

I had mine Map-na-ported, as they have quite a bit of kick to them.  Also got a Crimson Trace laser grip, which helps to make it a good carry piece.

They're a little bit bigger than a J-frame, but you can usually use the same holster for both.

If you get one, paint the front sight red or some color, as they're hard to pick up otherwise.  Also, check after a range visit, tighten if needed the screw that holds the cylinder release together.  Mine has loosened up under recoil.

It's a classic gun, and one that's good to the day.  And Son of Sam approved!
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 2:52:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

A soft cast 265 gr. Keith style SWC over 5 grains of Unique is what I loaded for it.
View Quote
Is that considered a heavy load ??
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, not at all.
Maybe 650 fps or so.
Accurate plinking round and a hell of a self defense load too.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 3:15:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm a bit of a Charter fanboy. I have a Bulldog and a Pitbull in 9mm. Like everyone is saying, they're not target guns...but I'd definitely not have an issue using one for self defense. As a matter of fact, my Bulldog is my bedside pistol. I've shot some 100 or so rounds through it since getting it back in Feb (it was a used model, 2016 build). It's a hand slapper for sure, not what I'd consider to be a comfortable firearm to shoot.

At the moment, I leave it loaded with Hornady Critical Defense, but I plan on getting some Underwood ammo here:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/398641/underwood-ammunition-44-special-200-grain-hard-cast-lead-wadcutter-box-of-20
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:43:24 AM EDT
[#13]
In the mid 80s I picked up a used 67-69' made Charter Arms 3" Bulldog.  Still have it and reload and cast for it.  It wears a set of Pacmayer rubber grips from the 80s.  Its my woods/swamp roaming gun during the off season whenever I'm home.  First two chambers have Speer shotcapsuls using either #6 or #9 shot for the water moccasins/copperheads in my area.  Then followed up with the next 3 of Lee 240 gr LSWC for gators/bears.  Both loads under Unique.  Those times when I need to load it for anti vermin two legged variety it gets loaded with either Winchester 200 gr STHP or Fed 200 gr LSWCHP.

Have painted the front sight a base of white and then orange for a high vis sight.  Ejector rod starts unscrewing every couple cylinders of heavy Specials, so just tighten it back up.  Older ones also have two ways to open the cylinder.  First using the cylinder release latch, Secondly pulling forward on the exposed ejector rod.  Gun only weighs 21oz or so.  Mine stays out in my shop locked up with my hunting gear.

CD
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In the mid 80s I picked up a used 67-69' made Charter Arms 3" Bulldog.  Still have it and reload and cast for it.  It wears a set of Pacmayer rubber grips from the 80s.  Its my woods/swamp roaming gun during the off season whenever I'm home.  First two chambers have Speer shotcapsuls using either #6 or #9 shot for the water moccasins/copperheads in my area.  Then followed up with the next 3 of Lee 240 gr LSWC for gators/bears.  Both loads under Unique.  Those times when I need to load it for anti vermin two legged variety it gets loaded with either Winchester 200 gr STHP or Fed 200 gr LSWCHP.

Have painted the front sight a base of white and then orange for a high vis sight.  Ejector rod starts unscrewing every couple cylinders of heavy Specials, so just tighten it back up.  Older ones also have two ways to open the cylinder.  First using the cylinder release latch, Secondly pulling forward on the exposed ejector rod.  Gun only weighs 21oz or so.  Mine stays out in my shop locked up with my hunting gear.

CD
View Quote
I love the older Bulldogs. I've had two since 1985. My current one is below. I stoke it with Speer 200-gr Short Barrel defense ammo.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 3:02:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a 2 1/2" barreled Bulldog with 200 gr Silvertips on the bed next to a 4 cell mag light for things that go bump in the night

I shot 5 of those at 25 ' and hit the paper plate every time.

I have shot 200 or so 240 gr LSWC over 5.3 grs Unique IIRC.

Loading for Charter 44 Special
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top