Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2020 4:48:52 PM EDT
MY wife is a small 4 foot 5 an 100lbs. Any one have any suggestions for CCW for her? She currently carries a Glock 43x in her purse. Which I dont like.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 5:05:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
MY wife is a small 4 foot 5 an 100lbs. Any one have any suggestions for CCW for her? She currently carries a Glock 43x in her purse. Which I dont like.
View Quote

what does she want?
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Thinking belly band of the sorts. Close and there when she'll need it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 7:16:54 PM EDT
[#3]
belly band, loose fitting top
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 8:33:24 PM EDT
[#4]
does she wear casual clothing like a long tail shirt that could be used as a cover up?.... I carry a G43x in a Tulster IWB holster ... with a nylon cape back fishing shirt as a cover up, I can get by with the IWB holster actually outside the waist, if something like that would be comfortable enough for her
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 10:44:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Not very many women are going to want to change their clothing style, let alone start carrying on-body with IWB holsters on a good belt, or belly-band type rigs.
^Keeping this in mind^

I would try and push her towards better purse carry options, such as ones with cross-body straps. I see a lot of 'carry purses' that are designed to be slung over one shoulder, rather than cross body. You may need to search a little and find something that will work good and be well made, also will be dependent on what SHE WANTS.

A lot of women purse carry, yes I know this goes against just about every 'tactical guru' on the internet. But the reality is, more women carry today, than 10, 15, or 20 years ago. ALSO: women tend to dress in the LEAST-CONDUCIVE way for on-body concealed carry. Therefore, the vast majority of women will CHOOSE to purse carry, over body-carry.

Just my 2 cents. I've spent lots of money on belly-bands galore, 'flash bang' (bra holster), minimalist belt holsters, pocket holsters (for LCP), etc... Few women are going to change their whole wardrobe to carry a handgun, the vast majority will pick a purse to carry in. Not to mention comfort, most guys will forgo a lil comfort to carry, women will NOT...

I got my other-half to choose a high-quality/durable/cross-body/metal-wire-reinforced-strap style purse...

She carries a full size 9mm, and she shoots it well. Sar CM9 Gen2 (she picked it out and loves it). Which she has tried the smaller things, snub-nosed and LCP but really, really didn't like them. She enjoys taking her handgun to the range and shooting, rather than taking something I 'forced' her into using.

If you push too much, she may give up the whole idea of CC. I believe a women can carry safely/responsibly in a purse and be far better off, than if they didn't carry at all.

--- Also if they are 'lazy' with leaving the purse laying around, they will need to end this behavior once they start carrying. Especially around kids. A shopping cart is not a purse-holder, when you're at a friends house, the floor or couch is not a good place to toss your gun/purse. Some BEHAVIOR will need, NEED to change.

Best of luck to ya
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 8:20:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Smith & Wesson 642 or any of the other hammerless Air Weight offerings from Smith & Wesson, preferably of the 'pre' lock / no lock persuasion. Those J Frames are great for learning a more simple yet legitimate manual of arms. Reliable, no slide or 'limp wristing' issues to worry about and .38 Special defense rounds are all business.

My .02
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 5:30:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Flash bang.  We're pigs and think we're getting a show.  She'll make sure we dont get to tell about what we saw.

Or GOOD cable reinforced purse. w/ holster compartment separate from the "OTHER" needed items...
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Ended up getting her a belly band an that she was carrying a Ruger LCP2 in until she got a Hellcat today. She is really liking the hellcat, So I think that maybe her new carry pistol.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 1:02:55 PM EDT
[#9]
My fiance is 5'5" tall and weighs 110lbs soaking wet. She carries a shield or a kimber micro in an iwb holster at 3 o'clock. (until her P365 gets delivered) Im glad the belly band worked for your lady and a hell cat is a much better option than an lcp.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 7:57:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not very many women are going to want to change their clothing style, let alone start carrying on-body with IWB holsters on a good belt, or belly-band type rigs.
^Keeping this in mind^

I would try and push her towards better purse carry options, such as ones with cross-body straps. I see a lot of 'carry purses' that are designed to be slung over one shoulder, rather than cross body. You may need to search a little and find something that will work good and be well made, also will be dependent on what SHE WANTS.

A lot of women purse carry, yes I know this goes against just about every 'tactical guru' on the internet. But the reality is, more women carry today, than 10, 15, or 20 years ago. ALSO: women tend to dress in the LEAST-CONDUCIVE way for on-body concealed carry. Therefore, the vast majority of women will CHOOSE to purse carry, over body-carry.

Just my 2 cents. I've spent lots of money on belly-bands galore, 'flash bang' (bra holster), minimalist belt holsters, pocket holsters (for LCP), etc... Few women are going to change their whole wardrobe to carry a handgun, the vast majority will pick a purse to carry in. Not to mention comfort, most guys will forgo a lil comfort to carry, women will NOT...

I got my other-half to choose a high-quality/durable/cross-body/metal-wire-reinforced-strap style purse...

She carries a full size 9mm, and she shoots it well. Sar CM9 Gen2 (she picked it out and loves it). Which she has tried the smaller things, snub-nosed and LCP but really, really didn't like them. She enjoys taking her handgun to the range and shooting, rather than taking something I 'forced' her into using.

If you push too much, she may give up the whole idea of CC. I believe a women can carry safely/responsibly in a purse and be far better off, than if they didn't carry at all.

--- Also if they are 'lazy' with leaving the purse laying around, they will need to end this behavior once they start carrying. Especially around kids. A shopping cart is not a purse-holder, when you're at a friends house, the floor or couch is not a good place to toss your gun/purse. Some BEHAVIOR will need, NEED to change.

Best of luck to ya
View Quote

Really interesting post.......much to ponder there.

And I suspect you are correct about many of your observations.

One thing that struck me was that your s.o. carries a full size 9mm.  My take is that there may be good news and bad news regarding purse carry as although it is off body, it does make it much easier for a small person to carry a more easily handled and powerful firearm.
Another thing that hits me.  You are probably correct that women are more resistant to dressing in a way that is less comfortable, yet on the other hand, I have yet to meet a woman who hesitates to load up her purse to the point where its weight becomes something a MAN would object to carrying!  
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 9:04:22 AM EDT
[#11]
@jppaul16438  Maybe ask her to try some of those concealed carry leggings that have belt loops?  That with a super slim belt seems like it would be a decent option.  

At least yours carries, I can't even get my wife to get a permit, let alone to carry.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 9:43:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@jppaul16438  Maybe ask her to try some of those concealed carry leggings that have belt loops?  That with a super slim belt seems like it would be a decent option.  

At least yours carries, I can't even get my wife to get a permit, let alone to carry.
View Quote

Ill have to have her take a look at them. I have no problems when it comes to gun with my wife, She always wants the newest ones for herself first.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I found that many gravitate to the Glock 42 with the smallest AIWB holster possible. Veil Solutions trigger guard holster comes to mind so long as they wear a belt, even a fashionable one handles the weight of the 42 alright with closed loops. I rarely see women going above .22LR/.380 sized mouse pistols unless they themselves are really into guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top