Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/22/2018 5:14:33 PM EDT
Camping in bear country.
I’m going camping in Yellowstone in a few weeks.
We will have bear spray with us but if the bear likes the taste of peppers I want something as a backup.
The largest caliber hand gun I have is a Glock 21 in .45 ACP.
No I can’t buy a 44 mag at this time so this is what we need to take. Yes I know bear attacks are rare.
Hard cast seems to be what is recommended and there are a few brands that make them.

Question is.
What brand, power and weight do you use and why?
What is the best place to buy them?

I have two Glock 21s one compensated and one not. Will it make any difference?
Will hard cast bullets be ok in Glocks octagonal barrel?

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 5:38:50 PM EDT
[#1]
If it functions, hardcast would be your best bet. Another alternative it the Lehigh “Extreme Penetrates” form someone like Underwood but a hardcast will penetrate deeper. Your Glock 21 should have no problems with hardcast and the polygonal rifling.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Ball, hardcast, or JHP will be fine in .45.

Don't bring the compensated barrel, the muzzle flash will be blinding at night.

Keep a clean campsite and maintain situational awareness.

When I first got to Alaska I was paranoid about bear safety. After hunting bears over bait for three years now and encountering 50+ brown and black bears up close, I am far less concerned. We put 55 gallon drums full of meat and grease in prime bear territory and it often takes weeks for them to hit it for the first time.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 6:27:19 PM EDT
[#3]
So FMG will be fine?
I was told to stay away from HP as they have trouble with the hide. That true?
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 6:58:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So FMG will be fine?
I was told to stay away from HP as they have trouble with the hide. That true?
View Quote
More than likely yes but I don't think it's the best choice. I carried a hot handloaded 230gr FMJ in my 1911 for years. I was getting about 1000fps with it. Here is some .45ACP testing I did that you may find useful.

http://www.general-cartridge.com/blog/https-generalcartridge-files-wordpress-com-2017-08-zt3pah3-jpg-w-1374.

http://www.general-cartridge.com/blog/double-tap-10mm-and-45-acp-woods-loads

http://www.general-cartridge.com/blog/cutting-edge-10mm-and-45-hg-solid-bullets
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 7:21:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Hardcast or FMJ will be ok.

I found this link interesting re: handguns vs bears

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/defense-against-bears-with-pistols-97-success-rate-37-incidents-by-caliber/

To summarize, we have found 37 verified cases where pistols were used to defend against bear attacks. Included, for complete data reporting, are two cases where bears were shot at with both rifles and pistols, making it difficult to determine the efficacy of pistols alone.

Of the 35 strictly pistol defense cases, one was a clear failure. That is the use of the .357 against an Alaskan grizzly by a geologist on 20 June, 2010. It is likely the bear was not hit in that incident.

There are four successful defenses with 9 mm pistols. The three grizzly bears were killed, the black bear was wounded and ran off.

Two of the three uses of the .357 were successful. One was against a grizzly that was stopped with one shot, but then escaped. The other grizzly was killed with six shots fired.

There were three uses of .40 caliber pistols, all against black bears, all successful, all of the bears were killed.

There was one use of a 10 mm pistol against a grizzly. 4 or 5 shots were fired.  It was successful and the bear was killed.

There were two uses of .41 magnum revolvers. Both were against grizzly bears, both were successful and the bears were killed.

There were twelve uses of .44 magnum revolvers. All were successful. One was against a black bear, it was mortally wounded but finished off with shotgun slugs. Eleven were against grizzly bears.  Two were driven of with “warning shots”. One was driven off, without evidence of being wounded.  One was wounded and not recovered.  One was wounded and finished off at the scene with a shotgun slug. Six were killed without further assistance.

There were four uses of .45 caliber pistols against bears. All were successful. One was against a black bear, which was killed with additional shots, probably from another handgun. The other three were grizzly bears killed with multiple hits from the .45 caliber pistols.

There was one use of a .45 Super pistol. It was successful. The grizzly bear was killed with one shot.

There was one use of a .454 Casull revolver. 4 or 5 shots were fired and the grizzly bear was finished off at the scene with a rifle brought by the defender's wife.

There were three cases of pistol defenses against bears where the pistol caliber was not identified.  One was a grizzly, which ran off. It was not determined if the bear was wounded or not. The other two were black bears that were killed with the pistol fire.

There was one case where both .357 magnum and .44 magnum revolvers were used. The grizzly bear was killed.

In total, there were 8 defenses against black bears and 27 defenses against grizzly bears.

One pistol failure out of 35 cases translates to a 97% success rate for the use of handguns against bears.

Successful bear defenses with a pistol are probably under-reported, much like successful firearm defenses against criminals. If a predatory black bear is shot and runs off, there are strong incentives for the shooter not to report the incident.  Incidents, where no human is injured, are seldom considered news. This creates a strong selection bias against successful pistol defenses against bears.

Predatory black bear attacks are the most common fatal black bear attacks in North America.  Only 8 of the pistol defenses listed above are defenses against black bears or 23%. It is reasonable to believe there should be about twice that number.  Black bear predatory attacks often give potential victims good opportunities to use a pistol effectively.

I have two reported instances of successful bear defenses with a .38 special revolver. One against a black bear, and one against a grizzly. I have not been able to verify either. I have found two more reported cases of the successful use of the 10 mm pistol, and one more for the .357 magnum, but have not been able to verify them.

Even in the age of the Internet, reports can become difficult to find after a few years. I recall an incident where an Alaskan State Trooper killed a grizzly bear with his duty pistol, while an associate with a 12 gauge shotgun did not fire. I have not been able to find that report. It may have been the 2013 incident where unarmed Thomas Puerta was killed and eaten. I am not certain.

If anyone has sources for that incident, or of others not recorded here, either successes or failures, please let us know.

Pistol defense failures against bears should be widely reported. When humans are injured by bears, it is news.

In this compilation of incidents, one was a failure. The .357 magnum was fired three times. The shooter was mauled after the first shot and after the second and third shots. It seems likely the shooter missed all three shots. It is the only bear defense with a pistol, that failed, that we have found.

One failure out of 35 incidents is better than a 97% success rate for pistol defenses against bears.  Using a pistol to defend against bear attacks seems to be a viable option.

The often cited Efficacy of firearms for bear deterrence in Alaska by Tom S. Smith, Stephen Herrero, and others, included 37 instances of a handgun being present when a bear attacked a human.  The instances collected were from 1883 to 2009.  They recorded 6 failures to stop the attack out of the 37 instances. That is an 84% success rate. Pistol and ammunition technology have greatly improved since 1883.

The authors of the Efficacy of firearms have not released their data.  There could be as many as six instances of overlap between the Efficacy of firearms data set and our collection, so a combination of the data is not useful unless the Effficacy of firearms data set is released. We cannot know how many of the six “failures” of the efficacy study might be because the handgun was never attempted to be used, was unable to be accessed because it was buried in a pack, or for other reasons.

All of the instances cited in this article can be verified independently.

©2018 by Dean Weingarten: Permission to share is granted when this notice is included.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks to all for your help.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 3:45:18 AM EDT
[#7]
255 grain hardcast from Buffalo Bore or Underwood is what you seek.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 6:16:24 PM EDT
[#8]
If I am camping, then there is no reason not to have a 12-gauge.

For hiking, then I would pick a 230 grain hard cast bullet.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 1:10:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
This.

Even 230 grain ball would be fine.

Hard cast in .45 ACP is not all that useful.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 3:38:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This.

View Quote
Really, I guess I must be doing something wrong cuz mine work just fine on anything I've shot so far.  Granted no bears, but as long as you have enough penetration (and true hard cast gives that in spades) it comes down to placement.  Then again even the wonderfulist wonder bullet doesn't work well if you miss or hit the wrong spot.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Camping in bear country.
I’m going camping in Yellowstone in a few weeks.
We will have bear spray with us but if the bear likes the taste of peppers I want something as a backup.
The largest caliber hand gun I have is a Glock 21 in .45 ACP.
No I can’t buy a 44 mag at this time so this is what we need to take. Yes I know bear attacks are rare.
Hard cast seems to be what is recommended and there are a few brands that make them.

Question is.
What brand, power and weight do you use and why?
What is the best place to buy them?

I have two Glock 21s one compensated and one not. Will it make any difference?
Will hard cast bullets be ok in Glocks octagonal barrel?
View Quote
You've been wanting (secretly, of course ) to get a Glock 10mm anyway, now here's your perfect reason and opportunity.

For bear country, you want a fast, deep penetrating, and relatively heavy bullet (200gns-220gns). It doesn't have to be the heaviest out there, but it does have to reach vital organs and punch thru bone.  Energy-wise, the 10mm dwarfs any offering in .45acp.

I'd recommend the Gen4 G20 just for the portability and handiness, but the 6.2" longslide G40 really pumps up the velocities of hot 10mm loads from Buffalo Bore, DT, and Underwood.  With either one, you want to be carrying it in a center-chest rig. There are good ones on the market that'll keep it secure while leaving your hands free to do whatever.

Load your Glock up with 15+1 10mm cartridges topped with hardcast or FMJ  slugs  - you want deep penetration that cuts thru the surface hide and tissue, then sinew and muscle, and then breaks bone.

As far as shooting hardcast boolits per se thru Glock factory tubes, you can do it to a limited extent if you clean the barrel afterward so there's no cumulative build-up of residue ...  But if you handload, the poly-coated HC boolits (from, e.g., SNS Casting) don't lead-up the barrel at all and the poly-coating makes for slick-feeding going up the ramp.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

A good flat nose hard cast bullet will penatrate deeper and straiter then a round nose ball.

Fmj has a horrible tendency to swerve in living tissue, especially after hitting light bones like ribs.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 7:48:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You've been wanting (secretly, of course ) to get a Glock 10mm anyway, now here's your perfect reason and opportunity.

For bear country, you want a fast, deep penetrating, and relatively heavy bullet (200gns-220gns). It doesn't have to be the heaviest out there, but it does have to reach vital organs and punch thru bone.  Energy-wise, the 10mm dwarfs any offering in .45acp.

I'd recommend the Gen4 G20 just for the portability and handiness, but the 6.2" longslide G40 really pumps up the velocities of hot 10mm loads from Buffalo Bore, DT, and Underwood.  With either one, you want to be carrying it in a center-chest rig. There are good ones on the market that'll keep it secure while leaving your hands free to do whatever.

Load your Glock up with 15+1 10mm cartridges topped with hardcast or FMJ  slugs  - you want deep penetration that cuts thru the surface hide and tissue, then sinew and muscle, and then breaks bone.

As far as shooting hardcast boolits per se thru Glock factory tubes, you can do it to a limited extent if you clean the barrel afterward so there's no cumulative build-up of residue ...  But if you handload, the poly-coated HC boolits (from, e.g., SNS Casting) don't lead-up the barrel at all and the poly-coating makes for slick-feeding going up the ramp.

Good luck!
View Quote
Why do you want a center mounted chest rig? Carry where you normally carry.

Hard cast bullets sized correctly won't lead a barrel.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 8:21:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck!
The Alaskan bush isn't a 'normal carry' area. It's not like EDC-ing into a WallyMart in Ann Arbor MI on a Sunday afternoon.

You ever actually try a C-C rig?  It gives you immediate & unobstructed access to the weapon, at a time when your hands are likely doing other things, from simple camp chores to fishing off a river bank for salmon or grayling -  any of which can distract your attention just as Mr. Grizz comes sneakin' round the bend  - and you can't get over to your rifle or 12ga in time.

If you do the research, you'll find C-C rigs for handguns are the go-to set-up for AK pilots, guides, and locals who frequent the boonies, river areas, remote fly-in camps, and the hunting & fishing venues generally.

I'm not recommending any particular C-C holster, but you might want to check out Diamond-D's website for his version which is leather. He's an AK resident and he makes a ton of them for various handguns, including the big monster wheelguns. Just FYI ...
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 8:24:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#16]
This is what I bought for my USP 45 for when we went backpacking in the Tetons.
Luckily, I never had to use it. I really hated the thought of explaining to the parkies why I shot one of their bears.

Buffalo Bore .45 ACP +P Outdoorsman

Colt Anaconda .44mag in a Diamond D Guides Choice. I bought Buffalo Bore ammo for it as well.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The Alaskan bush isn't a 'normal carry' area. It's not like EDC-ing into a WallyMart in Ann Arbor MI on a Sunday afternoon.

You ever actually try a C-C rig?  It gives you immediate & unobstructed access to the weapon, at a time when your hands are likely doing other things, from simple camp chores to fishing off a river bank for salmon or grayling -  any of which can distract your attention just as Mr. Grizz comes sneakin' round the bend  - and you can't get over to your rifle or 12ga in time.

If you do the research, you'll find C-C rigs for handguns are the go-to set-up for AK pilots, guides, and locals who frequent the boonies, river areas, remote fly-in camps, and the hunting & fishing venues generally.

I'm not recommending any particular C-C holster, but you might want to check out Diamond-D's website for his version which is leather. He's an AK resident and he makes a ton of them for various handguns, including the big monster wheelguns. Just FYI ...
View Quote
I've pushed through enough devil's club and salmon berries to have a pretty good idea of Alaska on multiple hunting trips to Admiralty island and the surrounding SE AK.

The thing with hunting in AK is that you're moving, if I'm moving I'm going to be putting layers on and taking them off. That's probably one of the biggest reasons I don't want a chest holster for field use.

Add in shooting from the prone and carrying binoculars on my chest for reasons why I prefer belt carry.

I do like using a tanker holster in a canoe and can see any chest or shoulder holster style being useful when you're on your butt all day.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 5:07:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Really, I guess I must be doing something wrong cuz mine work just fine on anything I've shot so far.  Granted no bears, but as long as you have enough penetration (and true hard cast gives that in spades) it comes down to placement.  Then again even the wonderfulist wonder bullet doesn't work well if you miss or hit the wrong spot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

And the wide flat meplat is going to suck penetration off that bullet very quickly.

A low pressure round like a .45 ACP does NOT need hard cast for anything.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 6:39:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

And the wide flat meplat is going to suck penetration off that bullet very quickly.

View Quote
Not accurate

Not accurate
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 3:22:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 9:17:02 PM EDT
[#21]
You would be fine with FMJ. Or, if you want to go cheap, the Glock 21 & 20(10mm) are the same frame.  Visit GunBroker, buy an upper G20 & 2 mags.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well, like I said I must be doing something wrong.  Still, I'm pretty partial to my own hard cast bullets so I'll just stick with those.  Let you know If I get ate by a bear.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd use Underwood 255gr +P hardcast in a Glock but make sure it cycles (and I'm not kidding you need to test several mags at minimum). Also you could use any brand that's just what I usually order.

As a second if you had cycling issues or the recoil was strange you could use Underwood 200gr XTreme Penetrator.

Since most .45 ACP hollowpoints are designed to do about 12-14in in ballistics gel (for humans) I would not want to use them for big bears. 230gr ball is an option but I'd not like the round nose and soft squishy center I'd prefer the partially flat hardcast nose. I'd take the XTreme Penetrator over 230gr ball personally.

Well let us know if a bear tried to eat you please :)
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 5:21:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Well, like I said I must be doing something wrong.  Still, I'm pretty partial to my own hard cast bullets so I'll just stick with those.  Let you know If I get ate by a bear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Per @5pins test linked above the 10mm hardcast is a clear winner but the .45 ACP hardcast does over 30in, hardly minimal penetration, also should make a nicer hole than FMJ I'd think.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 8:32:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Camping in bear country.
I’m going camping in Yellowstone in a few weeks...
View Quote
Maybe you should call Yellowstone and ask the Rangers what pistol they carry for bears
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 8:55:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Camping in a campground or a backcountry permit?

Caus if your in a campground i I would mostly be worried about ice for your gin.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 9:18:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And what larger animals have you shot?

And for bears: Human.  The other other white meat.  It's what's for dinner.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 7:02:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Hard cast 45 supers from buffalo bore.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:00:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck!

I carry my Ruger Alaskan in a Diamond D chesty.  Love that thing!!  I have tried, and carried all kinds in my years fishing and camping in bear country.  Truly love this set up.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:14:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Shoot for the front shoulders if the bear is charging or in front of you.

Friend of mind is a huge Alaska bear hunter. Has been charged several times.. I believe him when he tells me their breath stinks.

Shoulders are where to shoot. Break the shoulder, break the bear.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 10:27:06 PM EDT
[#32]
I would want a shotgun loaded with Remington Copper Solids if given a choice.  Recently watched a video where a couple were in the right place at the right time to film a grizzly that had a cub chase a black bear up a very tall tree.  What was amazing was how fast the grizzly ran through the blown down timber and how fast she climbed up the tree trying to get the black bear, don't even begin to think that you could out run one.  The grizzly tore every limb off of that tree trying to get to the black bear.

Another story I read yesterday where a guide had a run in with a 400 lb. black bear, link to story.    https://www.alloutdoor.com/2018/09/14/glock-20-ends-bear-attack-just-barely/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=2018-09-15&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 10:20:49 AM EDT
[#33]
I'll give you my opinion just because you asked: pick a factory loaded 230 +P load.  Something with a tough HP like the XTP,  an extreme penetrator design, or a high quality hard cast.  Personally, I wouldn't choose FMJ.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 10:45:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Shockwave or Tac-14 with a brace, and slugs.  I wouldn't trust my life to a handgun dealing with bears, other than possibly koalas.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 6:07:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Shockwave or Tac-14 with a brace, and slugs.  I wouldn't trust my life to a handgun dealing with bears, other than possibly koalas.
View Quote
These kick well out of my 590 so OP would have to see how the recoil was in a Shockwave but the Brennekke GreenLightning (or Special Forces Magnum ... same bullet but with different colored paint lol) is a pretty cool round. Hardened 1.25oz slug. So instead of say 250gr .45 at 1000fps or so, 547gr .70 at 1400fps lol!

If aiming for the head within 20 yards I wonder how plated 000 would do. Below is a test in 20% gelatin:

12 Gauge Shotgun Federal Premium 3 inch magnum 000 plated buckshot slow motion ballistic gelatin

For Koalas I think u can scratch their ear and they stop attacking.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 6:30:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#37]
If you're not solo you just need a .22 to wing one of your buddies.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 6:43:08 PM EDT
[#38]
I used to climb a lot of peaks in the Adirondacks.  I never slept in the shelters - used to camp on the mountain tops (which was stupid and twice nearly fatal) and never saw a single bear in all my trips there.  But, I took a break at one of the shelters to eat lunch one day and read the site log to pass some time.  Many entries made mention of a bear named “Padang” that routinely stole campers food.  He was named Padang because that was the sound the cooking gear made when it hit the ground after the bear defeated campers’ efforts to put it out of reach in trees.

There were published warnings that mothers and cubs worked in teams with cubs climbing up trees and knocking food bags down.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 11:46:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Use of Firearms in National Parks

A guy got busted in Yellowstone last week for discharging a firearm.

But OK in adjacent National Forests of course unless in prohibited areas.

Take bear spray in both.

Two hunters got chewed on by griz over near Yellowstone in the last week.

I carry a firearm (rifle and/or handgun (44 or 10mm)) and bear spray in local National Forests since its griz, as well as black bear and cat (mtn lion) country.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 8:46:19 PM EDT
[#40]
1. Hollow points are designed to not over-penetrate humans. They are poor choices for bear that are more than 3 times our size.

2. FMJ'S don't penetrate as much as Flat Pointed Hard Cast bullets. Their round noses deflect when they hit bone and limit penetration.

3. FMJ'S have soft lead underneath their jackets. They'll deform and limit penetration if they hit hard enough bone limiting penetration.

As others have said, Underwood or Buffalo Bore  Hard Cast are the only choice. Using anything else in unwise.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:19:21 PM EDT
[#41]
If you are in camp use a 12 gauge.

Human:  It's what's for dinner when a grizzly feels hungry.

The other other white meat.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 12:15:56 AM EDT
[#42]
It's common for knowledgeable folks going into MT wilderness areas to carry 12ga's with slugs.

The latest guy that got chewed on last week bumped into his griz at 12 ft.  Couldn't get to his pistol fast enough since the sow (with cub) was on him like lightning. His partner got to his bear spray that knocked her back & then she left. The encounter was close enough that both guys got backwash spray on them and had to deal with the unpleasant effects on the way out to the hospital.

Actually when you look at the power ratings Buffalo Bore makes a 30/30 load that has substantially more ft.lbs. than what's commonly thought to be "bear" handgun cartridges.

Heavy 30-30 Winchester Ammo - 190  gr. JFN @ 2100 fps (1860 ft.lbs.)

It beats everything they make in handgun loads until you get to the 460 & 500 S&W's.

But a 30/30 doesn't ride well in a chest holster.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 2:30:46 AM EDT
[#43]
I don't think 12 gauges ride nicely in shoulder and chest holstets either so hence why many guides and sportsman use pistols and revolvers. It's a compromise especially when your hands are full with a fishing rod or performing some other sport activity.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 2:15:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I don't think 12 gauges ride nicely in shoulder and chest holstets either so hence why many guides and sportsman use pistols and revolvers. It's a compromise especially when your hands are full with a fishing rod or performing some other sport activity.
View Quote
Many guides use 45/70 lever actions to back up clients.

Folks carry shotguns in shoulder scabbards.

But when your hands are full it depends on how much time you have to drop the fishing rod/bow to get to the bear spray and/or pistol/revolver/rifle/shotgun.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 9:21:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Even if the hands are empty, sometimes you just don't want to carry all that bulk. Sometimes you just want to enjoy a hike without a long gun.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 9:32:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Hard cast 45 supers from buffalo bore.
View Quote
this, thru a 5" XD in a Kenai holster
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 11:57:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Even if the hands are empty, sometimes you just don't want to carry all that bulk. Sometimes you just want to enjoy a hike without a long gun.
View Quote
Sometimes yes & in some places no.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 4:26:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
And then you may find yourself on the dinner menu.

Have a 'nicer' last hike.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 8:29:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It's common for knowledgeable folks going into MT wilderness areas to carry 12ga's with slugs.

The latest guy that got chewed on last week bumped into his griz at 12 ft.  Couldn't get to his pistol fast enough since the sow (with cub) was on him like lightning. His partner got to his bear spray that knocked her back & then she left. The encounter was close enough that both guys got backwash spray on them and had to deal with the unpleasant effects on the way out to the hospital.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

'Bear spray' has never impressed me. It just offers different risks/problems when you try to deploy it at a moving bear, ... not to mention you don't get to pick 'favorable' wind direction.

But a 30/30 doesn't ride well in a chest holster.
True, and neither does a 12ga, even one of the currently-trendy short models with the 'birds head' grip.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 8:36:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe when their clients are tramping thru the boonies actually hunting something, like moose or Caribou. Just fishing off a river bank for salmon or grayling, or just hiking around taking in the scenery?  Nope.

Folks carry shotguns in shoulder scabbards.
Very few and far between, and statistically minuscule when compared to the number of AK fishing & hunting guides, residents, or clients/visitors who're packing a big-bore revolver or autoloader in a center-chest rig or traditional shoulder holster.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top