Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2023 2:17:51 PM EDT
I've got an old pre model 28 4" Patrolman in 357 magnum. It's beat to crap and has been refinished to chrome before it came to me. The finish is flaking off in many places. I was wondering, what would it be difficult to change the chambering to say 45 acp, 44 Special/44 Mag, or 45 colt?  I'm assuming I'd have to replace the cylinder and the barrel. I'm guessing there will be a difference in the thread pitch for the barrel. Any guesses how much or if this is even possible? Probably cheaper to just buy a 625 in 45 ACP........hmmm.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 2:53:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Just guessing, but I would say you are probably right about just buying a 625 would be cheaper.

There were several wheel-gun smiths back in the day that did what you want to do.  Probably still a few, but I bet they are very busy.  It would take a lot of time/$$$ to get what you want.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 6:24:11 PM EDT
[#2]
With enough patience and money, you can do damn near anything with old guns.

Refinishing it in its current form would be money reasonably spent.

Buy a different gun because you want THAT GUN.

Don't throw big money at this gun just because you don't like it in its current form. You probably still won't be happy with it.

The current gun has its greatest value in the hands of someone who can do all the work himself. Sell it to that guy for what its worth.

Link Posted: 7/21/2023 9:54:48 PM EDT
[#3]
In the old days when labor was cheaper than materials, a lot of very artistic well executed caliber conversions were done on N frames.

These days, the labor cost for a well executed conversion to say 45 colt will easily exceed the cost of buying a different gun
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top