Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2021 10:26:07 AM EDT
I recently purchased an IWB/AIWB holster (Shield) that has a claw.

The issue is that with the pistol holstered I cannot get a full purchase on the pistol as there is not enough clearance between the front of the grip just below the trigger guard and the top of the claw. My middle finger cannot fully grasp the grip properly.

Is this a common issue with holsters outfitted with this accessory?

Holster I purchased is a [nerd] "SLICC" holster.

A possible solution might be to remove about 1/3" off the top of the claw and contour the resulting sharp edges.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 10:36:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Not common. Here’s my 43x in an IKC holster (really basic, nothing newfangled about the holster).

Attachment Attached File

Here’s the same model holster with a first gen shield.

Attachment Attached File

I’ve got ginormous hands and have used these in classes (and practice regularly) and, besides bumping my knuckle on the claw sometimes, it doesn’t hinder my grip at all.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 10:52:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the pics.

It looks as if the height of the claw on both IKC holsters is slightly below the top of the inside of the belt clip if that makes any sense. The top of the claw on my SLICC is slightly higher.

I can also see that the claw on the IKC holsters is the same one that Concealment Express uses.

Link Posted: 3/28/2021 11:06:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the pics.

It looks as if the height of the claw on both IKC holsters is slightly below the top of the inside of the belt clip if that makes any sense. The top of the claw on my SLICC is slightly higher.

I can also see that the claw on the IKC holsters is the same one that Concealment Express uses.

View Quote

Yeah it’s a standard, anyone-can-buy-them type claw. Nothing fancy.

The claw should line up with the clip so that it fits in line with your belt. Neither should be higher or lower than the other unless some cant has been designed into the system.  

It’s not hugely critical how it lines up with the belt but, as you’ve experienced, it it’s too high, hand space is limited.

The fit on the holster for the shield leaves less room for my hand, but lines up with the clip in the same place as the holster for the 43x.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 11:50:51 AM EDT
[#4]
With the SLICC the top of the claw is even with the top edge of the belt (holster itself is a straight drop). If the claw was higher I'd have no problem with removing the offending length.

The man issue is the firearm itself. The holster is more of a "deep concealment". With a Shield it pretty much has to be because the slide length and length of the fram forward of the trigger guard is short. If the gun rode any higher the top of it would tend to flop outward.

There is no perfect holster. 23 years of experience behind that statement.

What I should probably do is just wear the holster more and do some dedicated practice drawing and firing (real ammo, not dry-firing). I've got enough ammo but finding a place that allows holster work is problematic.

And if it comes to chopping off some of the claw I have a coping saw, a Dremel, and wet/dry sandpaper.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 6:20:21 PM EDT
[#5]
One reason why I’m a fan of TXC holsters helix. It is a wedge shaped block of aluminum that angles and rotates the grip into the body without the use of a claw and it keeps the clip away from your knuckle on the draw.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 7:08:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Sand it down, I have to do it to all of mine.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 4:32:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Picked up another SLICC at PSA today this time for a G43/43X.

Perfecto.

No hand clearance issues at all, and this is due to the fact that Glocks have both a steeper grip angle as well as a longer trigger guard which puts the attachment point of the claw slightly lower in relation to the belt clip than does the Shield.

I brought my pistol with me as I wanted to test the fit and clearance first but decided to leave the gun secured in the car and ask permission first. When I couldn't snag a sales associate I took the holster over to the gun rental counter and the guys there gladly let me test fit using their stuff. Cool.

I LIKE THIS HOLSTER!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top