Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2024 1:24:09 PM EDT
A few months back I was approached by a retired NYPD friend with a "broken" S&W 640 that was her off-duty/backup gun. I was unable to open the cylinder, and it was full of spent shells. I had to bring it to my local gunsmith, who got an RMA# and sent it back to Smith. Received the gun back a few weeks later and paperwork saying that it was "obsolete" and that they would no longer work on it.

Where do we go from here?
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 1:31:06 PM EDT
[#1]
That seems odd.  Pretty sure they still make the same model without the lock and with the lock.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 1:32:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nvcdl:

That seems odd.  Pretty sure they still make the same model without the lock and with the lock.
View Quote

I, too, am puzzled.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 1:43:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Just create a watchlist on ebay for the parts. They will show up. Same happened to me on a Rohm cowboy gun and Numrich had nothing, eventually, my saved ebay search came up and I got the parts. That or make them.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 1:47:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Very puzzling!!  I can’t imagine S&W not having parts, but even if it’s true that they don’t, I would think there are parts out there somewhere.

If you run into nothing but dead ends, and you have no use for it, I would be interested in purchasing it from you, if the price is right. I own the identical gun.  I could use it for parts down the road?!?

My 640 is my EDC for the 5% of the time I don’t carry a 1911.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 1:53:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Hell, I carry one of those right now.  Obsolete?

Not that I've ever needed parts, but plenty of places to get them.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 2:02:11 PM EDT
[#6]
From Smith:

"Thank you for contacting Smith & Wesson. From our notes, no repairs were made to the firearm. You might be able to take it to a local gunsmith and have them work on it. You may also try and find the replacement parts from websites like Numrich, Classic Firearm Parts, or Jack First.

Regards,
Jonathan"

Link Posted: 1/16/2024 2:03:33 PM EDT
[#7]
What part is broken.  The internals should be common across several models, ie the 442, 642, etc.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 2:12:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Jack_Rackham:
What part is broken.  The internals should be common across several models, ie the 442, 642, etc.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/16/2024 5:42:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks like they stopped making the all steel 640 in 38sp (I only see 357 now) I'd think that the parts for a 642 would be compatible.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 7:11:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4BlackRifle] [#10]
Search gunbuster parts kit on the auction sites and see everygunpart.com

I have bought from both.   Just make sure what you see is what you need, not all the kits are complete.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 7:18:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I’d call Finks Gunsmithing and see if they could fix it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 7:38:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a similar problem with Smith and Wesson when they refused to repair a 642 because they only warranty aluminum frame revolvers for a year.

I sent the gun to this guy and he replaced the aluminum hammer pin (that had broken) with a steel one.
Attachment Attached File

Fixed it and his price was very reasonable.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:07:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By oldsgm:
I had a similar problem with Smith and Wesson when they refused to repair a 642 because they only warranty aluminum frame revolvers for a year.

I sent the gun to this guy and he replaced the aluminum hammer pin (that had broken) with a steel one.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/347286/Ben_Pratt_jpg-3097063.JPG

Fixed it and his price was very reasonable.
View Quote

Cylinder & Slide upgraded a 642 for me back in 2020. I reached out to them to see if they'll take the job. I'll reach out to your man as well.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 8:13:42 PM EDT
[#14]
It looks like someone attempted some kitchen table gunsmithing.  The ejector rod looks like it's had pliers on it.  I'm guessing you haven't had the sideplate off.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 8:26:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Jack_Rackham:
It looks like someone attempted some kitchen table gunsmithing.  The ejector rod looks like it's had pliers on it.  I'm guessing you haven't had the sideplate off.
View Quote

I haven’t messed with it at all.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:12:14 PM EDT
[#16]
If you don't get anyone to help you on it, I will be happy to lend a hand.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:16:52 AM EDT
[#17]
That's that. I'm just going to scrounge the parts and go from there.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:04:06 PM EDT
[#18]
So the lifetime service policy is junk.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 10:13:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By 9mmstephen:
So the lifetime service policy is junk.
View Quote

They simply only service the guns they still make

I have had a bodyguard 38 repaired more than a year out. This one I even had a replacement part sent to me over a year ago through warranty. I just received this one back a few weeks ago. No questions asked and it cost me nothing.

They are currently fixing my 586 L comp

Both current production guns
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 6:43:14 AM EDT
[#20]
My last experience (a few months ago) with S&W warranty / customer service on a J frame was certainly less than impressive.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 9:33:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I see from your shipping label that you are from Charleston.

Have you talked to the Gun Doctor in Moncks Corner? They might be able to give you some local advice and options.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:36:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By MarkBinSC:
I see from your shipping label that you are from Charleston.

Have you talked to the Gun Doctor in Moncks Corner? They might be able to give you some local advice and options.
View Quote

Just saw this.

Thank you!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top