Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2021 12:22:52 PM EDT
Was at my local shop this morning and they had a Briley that seemed really nice. I don’t know much about them but it had a really nice trigger on it and it’s in 40 S&W.

I have a bunch of 1911s but don’t have one in 40 and have been kind of looking for one just because. The supposed story on this one was that it was a prize gun for Doug Koenig in the ‘99 Bianchi Cup. I know, but the gun not the story but he is local so it is possible I guess but need to call Briley and see what info they can give me on it.

Anyway, here it is. I put some money down to hold it and would run me $1700 out the door for it. Anybody know more about this gun or Briley’s in general?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/13/2021 1:48:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Is that an officer length grip?  Looks short.  Maybe not.

I know nothing of Briley but I think they are supposed to be GTG.

More edit...copy from a 1911 board, and a few years old.

Briley is a custom shop run by a master gunsmith named Claudio Salassa, who also worked with Paul Liebenberg, who was the master smith who started and ran the S&W Performance Center custom shop. They are both legends in the custom 1911 world.

They developed some spherical bushing that gun may have.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 8:40:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They developed some spherical bushing that gun may have.  
View Quote

Yeah, I had to look it up to see which one it was. I thought it was the collet bushing but it's not.

Bushing
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 11:24:33 AM EDT
[#3]
That grip safety looks very poorly fitted and uncomfortable.  I'm guessing it's not original to the gun.  Hard to say what else may have been changed.  1700 seems like a lot for that IMO.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 6:58:23 PM EDT
[#4]
A Commander-length Versatility is a bit unusual.  That grip safety does not look original.  The double-struck roll mark is a bit off-putting.  $1700 is a bit high; $1400 is more reasonable.  That being said, a .40 1911 is not the most common thing to find in a shop in normal times, let alone in these times.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 7:36:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A Commander-length Versatility is a bit unusual.  That grip safety does not look original.  The double-struck roll mark is a bit off-putting.  $1700 is a bit high; $1400 is more reasonable.  That being said, a .40 1911 is not the most common thing to find in a shop in normal times, let alone in these times.
View Quote

Honestly I'd have a tough time paying over $1000 for it, but maybe that's just me.  

I think you'd be ahead of the game to find a 10mm and then fit a .40 barrel to it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:13:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, I had noticed the double stamp and that kind of bothered me but in my haste didn’t notice how bad that grip safety looked.

I put down a $100 on it so I could research it some more and make a decision but I agree, I think I’m going to pass and keep looking for another 40
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 2:25:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I would use the cosmetic issues to negotiate a better price if the .40 S&W 1911 is a want.  That may be difficult with the current supply and demand issues, but it may be worth the effort.  The Briley slide and frame were, IIRC, Chip McCormick forged parts.  I do not remember if the fire control parts were all CMC, but the hammer sure looks like a CMC part.  The Briley sear, on the other hand, is not the best part.  It seems to have been only surface-hardened and the hardened layer was sometimes penetrated when the sear was fit.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 3:24:20 PM EDT
[#8]
That was already the “good customer” price on it. They had it marked like $1700

I took it off hold today and used the $100 for a box of 10mm, 38 Super and 9x23 to feed my other 1911s I already have.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 12:33:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Seems pretty high anyway.   You can do better in .40 I bet.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:07:10 AM EDT
[#10]
topton
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:40:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That was already the “good customer” price on it. They had it marked like $1700

I took it off hold today and used the $100 for a box of 10mm, 38 Super and 9x23 to feed my other 1911s I already have.
View Quote

I think that's a great decision.  The grip safety fitment (or lack thereof) gives me pause...somebody added that later and didn't know what they were doing.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:59:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd pass. Doesn't look like $1700 to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top