Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2024 6:54:11 PM EDT
I was cleaning my old gen 3 19 when I saw this. At first I thought it was carbon build up but once I put my glasses on I realized it was a crack. I’ve heard of this happening but this is a first for me. Gun probably has close to 10,000 rounds through it. Guess I’m calling Glock tomorrow. Anyone else dealt with Glock about this?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never seen that before.
Let us know what Glock has to say about it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 8:34:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Glock will replace it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 9:30:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you dryfire a lot? Serious question.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:31:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Lawman75:
I was cleaning my old gen 3 19 when I saw this. At first I thought it was carbon build up but once I put my glasses on I realized it was a crack. I’ve heard of this happening but this is a first for me. Gun probably has close to 10,000 rounds through it. Guess I’m calling Glock tomorrow. Anyone else dealt with Glock about this?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/125490/IMG_4003_jpeg-3144250.JPG
View Quote

I had one on a PO G23 years ago when we were issued them.  No kabooms, but it was a OOB.  Had flash powder on my trigger finger from both sides of trigger gap.  Had a ring and hairline crack reaching back to left side of slide.  Showed our armorer, who showed to LE rep, who said send it back.  Glock replaced the slide, and barrel.  G23 had three different serials.  Used factory ammo; Remington GS 165 gr.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:33:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lawman75] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TNRonin:
Do you dryfire a lot? Serious question.
View Quote

I do dry fire but I’ve always used snap caps. I don’t know what you’d consider a lot, probably a lot compared to some. I was law enforcement for 24 years and this was my off duty gun most of that time.  For 21 years of my career I carried a Glock 21 and it probably has well north of 25,000 rounds and has been dry fired a lot. It has some breech face erosion that Glock said was ok but never cracked.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:49:38 PM EDT
[#6]
well, anything man-made can fail...as long as you didnt due any mods to the slide i bet they replace it brand new..
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:05:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Not unheard of at all. General consensus was too much dry firing without snap caps but it could be a bad batch of slides.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:15:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Only seen one other, guy dryfired every day. Six? years maybe, not at all sure of that. but yeah, heard from my Glock guy that happens but rarely. Send it in, they send you a new slide.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:21:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lawman75] [#9]
I believe I bought this 19 around 2009.  No modifications to slide, all factory with the exception of the apex extractor. Like I said I’ve always used some sort of snap caps when dry firing, I grew up shooting revolvers and learned that habit young.  Maybe I can convince Glock to replace it with one of those Gen 3 mos slides .
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:57:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Let us know how Glock handles it.  

10K is not that many rounds especially over about 15 years.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:00:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lawman75] [#11]
Well I just dealt with Glock this morning. The first phone call I was told to send it in and they’ll look at it. He said it was from excessive dry firing and when I asked if I had to pay for the replacement they said they would have to see. They immediately called me back after I completed the call and said they would replace the slide but I still have to ship it them on my dime. I guess no more dry firing my glocks even with the snap caps other than for disassembly.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 6:39:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Or just have one set aside for dedicated dryfire.

Or, buy the cheapest aftermarket slide money can buy, along with the cheapest parts, and make that the dedicated top half for dryfire?

Can't not dryfire.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 7:35:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By JoeDevola:
Or just have one set aside for dedicated dryfire.

Or, buy the cheapest aftermarket slide money can buy, along with the cheapest parts, and make that the dedicated top half for dryfire?

Can't not dryfire.
View Quote

That’s actually not a bad idea. I’ll be honest I’m a little aggravated with glocks customer service and this isn’t the first time. They tried to tell the slide cracking on a gen 2 model 22 was normal. The vials came out of a new set of their night sights the first time I shot it. Every time I’ve had to pay the shipping and kinda get the run around. Colts customer service has always been great and Springfield’s has been awesome. They completely rebuilt and refinished a TRP that I bought used and didn’t charge me a dime knowing I bought it used. I own 11 glocks but probably won’t get any more.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 7:52:43 PM EDT
[#14]
One thing I've discovered about snap caps is they are a wear item. The firing pin tears them up pretty quickly and I've tried ones with polymer and brass "primers". When the sound changes I swap them out. I dry fire just about daily.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 7:56:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lawman75] [#15]
Originally Posted By Bradd_D:
One thing I've discovered about snap caps is they are a wear item. The firing pin tears them up pretty quickly and I've tried ones with polymer and brass "primers". When the sound changes I swap them out. I dry fire just about daily.
View Quote

I totally agree and have gone through lots of them from various manufacturers.  I’m so paranoid about protecting the gun when dry firing that when I dry fire my sig p series pistols not only do they have a snap cap but half of a foam ear plug at the back of the slide for the hammer to hit. I use my guns, I don’t abuse them.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 8:27:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 8:45:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
My dry fire Glock is a SIRT.
View Quote

I’ve looked at these in the past. How do you like it?
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:06:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spydermonkey] [#18]

I've looked at these in the past. How do you like it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
My dry fire Glock is a SIRT.

I've looked at these in the past. How do you like it?
This is what I did. I got so sick of racking the slide to reset the trigger and nothing available as a drop in to have a realistic trigger reset. I have a full sized, micro, and an AR bolt from SIRT. Well worth it
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 12:06:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 9:49:46 AM EDT
[#20]
@RogerRoger
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 9:54:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 103:
Glock will replace it.
View Quote

yes, they will

same thing happened to a Gen 2 G17 I had.  They replaced the entire gun with a pink label refurb Gen 3 that looked brand new
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 8:13:43 PM EDT
[#22]
It's like less than $10 to ship the slide back.  Ship it in, they'll replace it.

I once bought a dozen used Glock 21 mags off a university cop.  They were all kind of beat up and mixed generations.  Sent it in to Glock (cost me $12 in postage) and Glock didn't even bother replacing parts on the mags, they sent me back a dozen new gen4 Glock 21 mags.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 4:59:33 PM EDT
[#23]
I sent the slide off on 03/01. They received the slide on 03/05. Haven’t heard anything from them.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#24]
The only time I’ve heard of it was from high round count slides that also had a history of lots of dry fire.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:30:31 AM EDT
[#25]
I sent the slide off on 03/01. They received the slide on 03/05. Haven’t heard anything from them.
View Quote

You won't.   Expect a new slide in a week
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 2:31:16 AM EDT
[#26]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/125490/IMG_4003_jpeg-3144250.JPG
View Quote

It has been over 10 years.  My rather new 19 gen 4 had a horizonal crack above the striker pin hole after maybe only 200 rounds.

I posted about it here at the time.   Glock accused me of excessive dry firing the gun and said they'd fix it, but would not warranty the gun again.  

The gun has been perfect ever since I got the replacement slide, many thousands of rounds later.

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 2:42:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Bradd_D:
View Quote

Yep.  The sound change is a good indication.  

I replace it with silicone caulk/sealant. Pretty much any kind will work.  I dig out the chewed up buffer with a tiny flathead screwdriver and then add a tiny dab of silicone and make it flush.  Then I cover it with blue tape that has some vaseline on it and place the snap cap nose down in a shell holder.  A day later I pull the tape and all should be good.

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:17:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lawman75] [#28]
Still waiting. Glock received the slide on March 5. I sent them an email and got a response today that the slide is sitting on a shelf waiting to be serviced.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 7:29:20 PM EDT
[#29]
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a brownells RMR cut slide. With the coupon it was only $85.00. Probably get that before Glock decides to send me a replacement slide.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:56:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Attachment Attached File

My brownells slide came in. I like it so far. Still waiting on my slide from Glock.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:12:42 PM EDT
[#31]
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a brownells RMR cut slide. With the coupon it was only $85.00. Probably get that before Glock decides to send me a replacement slide.
View Quote

Am I reading that right? Eighty-five dollars?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:08:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lawman75] [#32]
Originally Posted By JoeDevola:

Am I reading that right? Eighty-five dollars?
View Quote

Yep
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:25:19 PM EDT
[#33]

Was that with a coupon on other discount (they completely deleted my old account, so I'm even sure if they offer discounts besides coupons now).  

Showing $99.99.  good price if you live completely right angles

https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/handgun-parts/handgun-slides-parts/rmr-cut-slide-for-glock-19-gen-3/?sku=078200004
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:38:13 PM EDT
[#34]
They had some kind of “builders” coupon last week that was automatically added during checkout.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:43:01 PM EDT
[#35]
My replacement Glock slide arrived today. Used a spare set of upper parts to assemble it. I’m glad Glock replaced it but my old slide had the “frying pan” finish and this one already has scratches after putting it into a holster twice. Oh well, I’ll run the Brownells slide for awhile and see how that goes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:29:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Ouch.
Going from FPF to the newest chalky finish is definitely a downgrade.  

Glad they replaced it though.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top