Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2020 7:52:04 AM EDT
Brand: Bradford Tactical Holster
Product: IWB Holster Summit Series
Build Specifics:
Walther PPS M2; RH draw; Medium Sweatshield; +modwing; +integrated wedge; +OPTIC CUT; no rush delivery requested

Recently purchased some holsters from Bradford Tactical Holsters.
The experience was interesting and educational for myself. I felt it worth sharing with the community.
Disclosures: None. I paid for these myself.

TLDR: I could not recommend BTH based on the holsters I received.

Pros: Vast options available. Rare holster brand offering double hooks on IWB, integrated wedge cuts, optic cuts, and lights.
Cons: The options you select may be forgotten during production. Holster may also not be functional.
1 of 5 holsters I purchased were made as ordered.
3 holsters were sent back for correction.
After corrections, 2 of 5 are now functional holsters.
The remaining 3 of 5 holsters sent as-is, are non-functional as holsters: either the gun does not go into the holster or it does not come out of the holster.  

IMAGE 004 and 005 are the holsters as first received.
Optic cut was requested but forgotten.
Medium sweatshield requested, full sweatshield produced.

BTH

BTH

A dremel could likely correct. You can always cut out more, but never less.  
I contacted BTH, they replied promptly and sent a return label to me so I could have the holster corrected.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 7:52:34 AM EDT
[#1]
A month after I sent back the holsters, corrections were made, and I received the new holsters back.
Unfortunately, the optic is cut in an odd way. The holster butts against the optic and prevents full insertion. (other BTH holsters also had WML butting against holster)

BTH B01 side view

BTH B02 top view - notice how the inward curve hits the optic preventing insertion

BTH B03 Causing exposed trigger with the holster

BTH B05 Looks to be about 1cm off based on how far back the slide is pushed out of battery

BTH B07 closer view of the Bradford Tactical Holster style of optic cut. I do like that the kydex is cut in a way that slants away from the glass.

In either case, further work will need to be done to make this a functional holster. likely some dremeling may correct it, however there are additional points to consider.
1) optic cut function and form
2) holster function and form

see next posts
sorry, 2000 character limit on posting so I have to break these up
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 7:53:04 AM EDT
[#2]
To compare optic cut styles, I have a Dara holster cut for the same gun, Walther PPS M2 with Shield RMSc Optic Cut (as sent by the walther factory).
I must say the Dara holster is absolutely well thought out. It was my first holster, and I never realized until trying out other holsters how well engineered the Dara Holster was.

(see B09) DARA holster
The optic cut on the Dara is not just cutting away kydex to make room for an optic - the Dara holster actually uses kydex to enhance your optic.
The extra kydex covers the optic, therefore protecting the lens and housing. This covering protects your optic and glass from sweat, dirt, clothing, belly hair, etc.
There's about 1mm of space between the kydex and top optic housing so there's very little wasted space and keeps the package compact.  
Also, because the optic goes into the kydex optic pocket, it prevents any material from getting in between the gun and the holster (ie clothes) which means it won't be accidentally yanked out or caught on things.

(see B10) DARA holster
All angles on the Dara Holster are smooth downward angles. The edges are polished which further prevents snag.

(see B11) DARA holster
Trigger is completely covered - no open angles to stick things into the trigger space and ND.
Full sweatshield is cut exactly to shape, no over or underhang. It also cuts enough space so your thumb can contact enough of the gun on the draw and insertion to allow for that extra nuance of gun control.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 7:53:34 AM EDT
[#3]

The retention rubber buffer and hardware system (belt clip and screws) of the Dara holster is also well thought out. They separate the screw used for retention adjustments from the screws used for the holster clip.
That way, if you need to adjust retention in any way, it will not affect how securely your belt clip is attached to the holster and prevents your holster from wobbling out of any cant/angle you've set with your belt clip.
ie, if you overloosen the screws connecting your belt clip from your holster, the belt clip then becomes loose and that top hole of the belt clip that allows you to set a cant then becomes a wobble point. The dara avoids that: you can set your cant angle, tighten it down, and know that it's secure.

BRADFORD TACTICAL HOLSTER retention and hardware system compared to the Dara Holster.
On the BTH, the retention rubber buffer and the hardware system are all on the same single point (see the yellow box on B13 image)
That means the screw used to loosen retention is also the same screw holding your belt-clip to the holster. Depending on how loose you have to adjust your retention, you can cause the belt clip to wobble and jangle the hardware. At my desired level of retention (about 5-7 pounds of direct upward force to unholster), my belt clip on the BTH ends up loose to where it can be flicked up and down out of place.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 7:54:05 AM EDT
[#4]
That's about it for now.
I hope you all don't mind me posting this here. Been a long time AR15.com lurker, and love all the resources and information available in this community.
I convo across several platforms and it'll be easier for me to link to here than repost the same review on different places.
Also, I don't want to open a blog or website just to do reviews, and this seemed like a great place to post reviews on.
I don't know how to get the images to show up as images all the time though. Like the 1st post showed, but then not on the follow up posts - it just shows the links.
maybe its a paid membership service to get photographs to show? uncertain but I'm sure I'll find out in time.

[PLACE HOLDER FOR ADDITIONAL POTENTIAL HOLSTER REVIEWS: Sig P320 w/ TLR8, S&W M&P 2.0 3.6", S&W Shield 2.0]
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:22:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Good news on the Dara. They are local to me, I should probably buy one
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:36:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good news on the Dara. They are local to me, I should probably buy one
View Quote

always good to support your local businesses, especially in these hard times.
I have several Dara holsters for Sig P365xl with optic and TLR; S&W shield with optic and TLR; and the Walther PPS M2 with optic.
I really enjoy each of my Dara holsters. An incredible amount of engineering, thought, and work put into each one.
They are certainly at a higher price than some holsters, but I think its well worth the investment.
I would really like if they could do a two belt clip version, but the single belt clip and Dara belt clip both hold securely.

Not all Dara Holsters have an optic shroud. I would recommend you contact them before purchase if that's what you're interested in.
My P365XL holster has an open optic cut without the shroud but I think that worked out for the best since I run it with an RMR instead of an RMSc.
The open optic cut does allow more optics to fit in, and I think they did it for the P365XL because you can use different optics for it with adapters, whereas the PPS M2 really only fits the RMSc for now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top