Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2023 9:36:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: aftac]
Feel a little dirty about buying a Taurus was all set to buy the sig p322 and a FN502 but with the compact seemed on point with it.  The reviews look good and I hope it runs well.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 10:54:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VASCAR2] [#1]
Early Taurus TX22’s had poorly machined barrels but recent production seem to be good.   You see complaints about fragile sights and I’ve seen a couple post where the front of the slide cracked where the recoil spring rest under the barrel.   My Brother bought a competition model and is using a Vortex Venom 6 MOA Dot.   He likes his but I haven’t seen one in person.    Early on the only reliable source for magazines was Taurus website and I don’t know if that has changed.

Let us know how your Taurus TX 22 compact functions and how you like it.   I just checked and Gun Mag Warehouse has compact TX 22 mags in stock for $22.99.   The full size mags are out of stock but the full size pistol ships with two mags, not sure about the compact.

Link Posted: 5/14/2023 11:31:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a standard TX-22 and a P322 and will say that IMO, the Taurus does seem to be like a lower quality firearm when I compare it directly to the P322. That said, it runs just fine and haven't had any issues with it. Accuracy is meh but the P322 isn't any match grade gun either. The Taurus feels good in the hand and for less then $300, its a solid value.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 11:40:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By VASCAR2:
Early Taurus TX22’s had poorly machined barrels but recent production seem to be good.
View Quote

I purchased a new TX-22 late last year and the barrel leaded up in less than 150 rounds, my groups gradually opened up and started keyholing at 25 feet. I was told at first that I needed to clean it more frequently and did but it leaded up again and started keyholing almost immediately. Taurus' service was non-responsive and it took two months to get the barrel replaced after sending it in. I would pass.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 5:45:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had a tx-22 for a couple of years.  Shot well over a thousand rounds.  No gun related malfunctions. Zero.  It's accurate enough, feels good in the hand, and keeps right on shooting.

Haven't shot a P322 yet but there was a guy on the range today with one.  Don't know that he ever got thru a full mag without feeding issues.  Kept calling the range officer over to help him clear it.  

Maybe it was just THAT Sig.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 6:19:28 PM EDT
[#5]
No experience with TX22 but Sig P322 has been flawless through ~1200 rounds with CCI Blazer

** BTW the word is “versus” meaning against **
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 7:10:12 PM EDT
[#6]
We have a TX22 as a range rental. Conservative round count is easily north of 25,000 rounds fired. 361 days times 3 years times 50rds per box = 54,150 rounds. Can't be sure that it has rented every one of those days for the last three years, but then again on other days it been rented with 5-10 boxes on a given day.

Lotta friggen rounds either way. Replaced an extractor (worn out), striker bar ( broken), and a trigger spring LOST DURING A CLEANING. Pretty solid IMHO. Gun is accurate and like most 22 firearms does start to hiccup when it gets dirty 4-500 rounds or so. Doesn't seem to be too sensitive to any particular brands of ammo, pretty much eats all of 'em.

Damn decent gun at the price they're asking for them. Better trigger than those guns that are supposed to be "Perfection". Drop a set of fiber optic sights on them and you've got a hell of decent trainer and small game gun.

Have shot 4 P322's customers brought in to shoot. All of them jammed with multiple brands of ammo. 1-5 jams per mag with no discernible pattern. Most common was the new cartridge being loaded into the chamber nose diving into the back of the barrel just below the chamber. Just seemed to do it whenever the hell it wanted to. Don't know if the angle the fresh rounds are being introduced is too shallow, the magazine spring not being strong enough, or what. When it shot it did shoot accurately.

Would like to have one for to go with my P250, but not willing to be a test subject until the bugs are worked out.

Not a definitive sample by any means, just my personal experience with the two guns in question. ymmv

Link Posted: 5/15/2023 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah I am looking at something for the kids to shoot and my Walther P22 the safety does not work well.  Also when I was looking at the FN I shot one at a FN range day and shot 1000 rounds with no issues but I was at another range local and there were two one black and one FDE that were having issues.  The TX22 I rented just ran but the P322 did not.  The range FN502 had issues with a bulk brand I use for my suppressors.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 1:13:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: iGottaDropADuce] [#8]
i was an early adopter of the TX22 when it first came out but shortly after the barrel issues. The stupid thing has well over 10k rounds, ranging from good Center X to thunderbolts. I cant make it NOT work. It eats everything I put in it and shoots exceptionally well. Maybe I got lucky?

Eventually, I ended up buying the competition conversion kit, stuck a swampfox red dot on it, and it just keeps going. Cleaning intervals are about 1k rounds. I also have a P322 and its a little more finicky ammo wise. Again, sample size of one. P322 doesnt seem to shoot as well for me but again, sample size of one.

It feels dirty buying a Taurus but I wouldnt hesitate buying another and I have recommended them to many friends who have all had similar results as me
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By VASCAR2:
SNIP

I just checked and Gun Mag Warehouse has compact TX 22 mags in stock for $22.99.   The full size mags are out of stock but the full size pistol ships with two mags, not sure about the compact.

View Quote

Full size at GrabaGun for $20
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:38:38 PM EDT
[#10]
My 11yr old daughter loves my tx22 comp with cheap sig red dot and the crappy tuf picatinny muzzle device (for funz)
First time really shooting pistol she nailed dead center several clay pigeons

I know not same what you're talking about but it's the only Taurus product I'll own. It's fun and well over 98% reliable. I run suppressed sometimes and never clean so there's that lol
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 11:25:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone run their tx22 suppressed almost exclusively?

I'm still fighting my fn502 even after sending it back once. It is almost like the slide is dragging. Might remove the plastic red dot and see if that helps.

Unsuppressed it mostly runs fine.

That Taurus is getting great reviews.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 6:49:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By rippr334:
View Quote

Yes. I have an early gun, bought mid 2019. I guess 5-6000 rounds, could easily be more (back yard range). I clean the gun and suppressor every brick or so. Also have P322. 2-3000 rounds through it. The Sig feels like a higher quality gun. The Taurus works better,  has a better trigger, and fills the hand better. I'd do without the Sig if the Taurus had come with a slide cut for optic.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 11:26:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Really enjoy my TX22 competition model. This compact model will be my next 22 pistol purchase.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 11:27:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By rippr334:
View Quote

Yes-works great for me!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top