Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2020 12:54:18 PM EDT
This is a Smith and Wesson break top in 38 Smith and Wesson. About 25 years ago the gun came my way while at the same time an elderly friend of the family living in a Dodge City area requested a pistol. I was not sure what to give her, but when this gun which is more powerful than a 22 but doesn't kick bad showed up I knew it was the hand of God. Also it can't be cocked leaving her trying to lower the hammer which is another big plus of this pistol. She had it from then until this year when she moved to independent living and decided she didn't need it any more. It is in better shape than I remember. She never shot it.

It sat around here with a box of ammo from the 1970s until I couldn't take it any more so I shot it. The first pic is my first attempt. I was worried about a squib ruining the gun but shot the ammo anyway. It turned out to be sure fire. It was clean and the box was in good shape so I thought the sign was right it would be OK. It took me a few shots to get the hang of it. The second target was my second go around with it and I figured out the right hold and started stroking the trigger on through. It will hold the X ring at 7 yards no problem.

It is hard to find one of these old guns in working order any longer so I cleaned it and put it away for now. Judging by the serial number it was made about 1940 so it is one of the last ones made before WW II. Not going to shoot it to death. It was fun to shoot it though and made me smile. I can also say that someone carried it a lot because it has really pronounced ghosts on the recoil shield. Apparently they took care of it.

I guess I'm going to buy a box of ammo for it so I will have fresh ammo. Even with the corona craziness there is no run on 38 Smith and Wesson lol. I wish I could find a nickel version of this gun with the short barrel but they are not around.

Link Posted: 5/5/2020 1:01:11 PM EDT
[#1]
That's pretty cool, OP.  That would be a fun one to run a cylinder or three through every so often, just to enjoy the fact that it still functions.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 1:16:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I remember a woman who had a HD revolver she had never fired.
I don't recall if she was in a duty to retreat state, but when the bad guy broke in she retreated into the attic with her kids. She dumped on him as he was coming up the stairs at her, and got either 5 or 6 hits. One of the later hits proved fatal. Good thing there wasn't two of him, but she proved that you don't need any special training to protect your family with a firearm.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 9:12:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Thats a awesome pic!

Reminds me of my old neighbor. The Dragon Lady.
Nearly blind. But I went to check on her one day and I snuck up on her in the garden.  She warned me to always hollar out if I went her house. Cause she'll shoot first and ask questions later! I hollar'd like a banshee from that day on when ever I walked towards her place.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:36:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Very neat little gun and props to the lady that had it.

I kinda wish I would have bought something similar when they were cheaper and I had more discretionary funds.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 2:01:44 AM EDT
[#5]
She looks like the kind of old lady who would shoot a bad guy in his tracks and then scold him for being a criminal while waiting for the police lol.  Great pic!
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 4:21:04 PM EDT
[#6]
S&W Safety Hammerless, also known as the "Lemon Squeezer" due to the grip safety
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:55:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice looking gun. Ammo is fine. Box looks to be pretty New Late 60’s early 70’s. Properly stored ammo lasts forever. I have shoot good condition ammo made before World War One without problems. Ammo is not milk there is no expiration date!
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:15:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Slick little revolver, I'm glad she never needed to use it.
I like blued guns but yes, a shiney version would be pretty stylin'.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:41:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

She actually did use it one time to run off a guy who was trying to steal her window unit air conditioner. She saw the air conditioner wiggling in the window and got the Squeezer. She pulled back the curtain and tapped on the window with the muzzle of the gun. Dude took off lol
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 3:52:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 2:50:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

She actually did use it one time to run off a guy who was trying to steal her window unit air conditioner. She saw the air conditioner wiggling in the window and got the Squeezer. She pulled back the curtain and tapped on the window with the muzzle of the gun. Dude took off lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well.... there ya go
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top