Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2023 3:59:36 PM EDT
Hey guys, I'm going to Fairbanks in June, I have a nice comped G45 w red dot that I was thinking of taking, loaded with Federal 147 +p solid rounds. I would of course use HST when I'm in town around people for CCW. Is that sufficient or should I get a new Gen5 G20 and 200 grain solids? Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 4:21:31 PM EDT
[#1]
yes

have both!

an in town gun and a wilderness gun

ETA: right now i cant find any hard cast 10mm, best I can find is full power  180 gr sig

but if you do anything out doors,  even in the very lower 48 a G20 is good to have
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 6:19:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Glock 20 and heavy hard cast is the way, I wouldn’t consider 9mm at all. Grab some coated hard cast from underwood ammo

Ammo
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Not in Alaska, but we have the same unfriendly crtiiers. I’ll occasionally (rarely) carry a 9mm in town but during Bear time it’s almost exclusively my G20 or G40 or a 10mm 1911. Given that my 180gr solids (FMJ) are traveling at 1280fps from the G20, I’m satisfied they work when necessary. I’ll swap mags if I’m in town.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 3:55:09 AM EDT
[#4]
In town a 9mm will be more than plenty.

Posted in another thread.

Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:57:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In town a 9mm will be more than plenty.

Posted in another thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClexOj6S_OE
View Quote

Forgive my inexperience tracking large wounded bears, but why was this professional guide tracking a wounded large bear not carrying a serious caliber long gun?
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:12:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Forgive my inexperience tracking large wounded bears, but why was this professional guide tracking a wounded large bear not carrying a serious caliber long gun?
View Quote

Black Bear are usually pretty easy to kill, well unless they have 12" of fat.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:10:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Keep the solids in the whole time. No need to switch
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top