Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2020 11:35:44 PM EDT
I have been carrying a p30sk and an lcp2 as a back up. I’m giving the lcp to my daughter. It’s the only 380 I own so I would like to stick with a common caliber. That way I can share ammo if one of them went down.  
 I wear cargo pants most of the time so I can go slightly larger than the lcp but I want to keep it small.
  I prefer either a thumb safety or double action. I’m leaning towards a 365 with thumb safety. I have handled a 938. I like the size and it has a safety but it’s lacking in capacity. Also consider lcr in 9.  
 Are there other good options I’m not thinking of.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:10:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Kahr PM9 or the same gun with a few cost cutting manufacturing tweaks, the CM9.  Small and pocketable with a very smooth, double-action trigger.  It's not a capacity king, however.  But it is a great gun.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 3:08:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kahr PM9 or the same gun with a few cost cutting manufacturing tweaks, the CM9.  Small and pocketable with a very smooth, double-action trigger.  It's not a capacity king, however.  But it is a great gun.
View Quote

I have loaded Speer plastic bullets in empty cases.  They look like wadcutters.  In my used purchase (CM9) alternating with real rounds it feeds them every time.  The trigger pull is a little long but smooth and requires conscious thought for newbies to pull through the whole cycle.
A band of bike inner tube around the grip makes for a nice feel.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:18:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Diamondback DB9 is my pocket carry of choice.  Absolutely tiny package, similar to other .380s.

I put 200 rounds through it before I was willing to carry it.  It's a nasty little bugger to shoot, simply because of its size/thickness compared to the power of the cartridge.  200 rounds, zero malfunctions.  Lockwork is just like Glock, except it's rotary, not linear.  Even sounds like a Glock when you dryfire it.  6-round mags.

In the winter, I carry it in my CCW "jacket," pistol in a pocket holster in the right breast pocket, spare mags in 2 zip pockets in the sleeve.  Summer time it sits just fine in a pocket in my shorts.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:35:20 AM EDT
[#4]
if you are open to a Glock... I carry a G43 with a Pearce +1 in a Recluse two sided cargo holster in nylon fishing shorts most of the year.... the Recluse has a slit down the spine to allow a grip on the gun, while offering a full non printing flap... the "foot" on the holster keeps it from turning in the pocket

https://recluseholster.com/glock-g43-recluse-ts-cargo
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm a big fan of DAO for pocket guns. It's fast and safe. My favorite pocket 9 is the Rohrbaugh R9 hands down.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:22:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have been carrying a p30sk and an lcp2 as a back up. I’m giving the lcp to my daughter. It’s the only 380 I own so I would like to stick with a common caliber. That way I can share ammo if one of them went down.  
 I wear cargo pants most of the time so I can go slightly larger than the lcp but I want to keep it small.
  I prefer either a thumb safety or double action. I’m leaning towards a 365 with thumb safety. I have handled a 938. I like the size and it has a safety but it’s lacking in capacity. Also consider lcr in 9.  
 Are there other good options I’m not thinking of.
View Quote

365 is the only one that is going to give you 10+rounds of capacity.  I recently purchased a Springfield 911 which is a sig 938 clone.  I really like it. One thing I have found is the single action triggers make a big difference on very small guns.  Springfield is 7+1,same as the 938, kimbers micro 9 is 8+1 with extended mag.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By pajasonc:

365 is the only one that is going to give you 10+rounds of capacity.  I recently purchased a Springfield 911 which is a sig 938 clone.  I really like it. One thing I have found is the single action triggers make a big difference on very small guns.  Springfield is 7+1,same as the 938, kimbers micro 9 is 8+1 with extended mag.
View Quote

Sounds like we are on the same path. I have also been looking at 911 and 938. I am somewhere between 911 and 365.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:52:15 PM EDT
[#8]
938 is best
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:27:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By flying_finn:
938 is best
View Quote

The 938 is a decent amount more money than the 911. What do you feel makes it better.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:42:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a hellcat, its noticably snappier than the 365 but its well built and reliable. Accuracy is quite good and the trigger while not amazing is acceptable. 11 rds in your pocket with 13 rd reloads isnt bad.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 11:03:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 11:42:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By cb69:

The 938 is a decent amount more money than the 911. What do you feel makes it better.
View Quote

I tried both and actually liked the Springfield a little better and it's significantly cheaper is you look around.  They are almost carbon copies of each other.
I have shot the 365 as well, never shot the Springfield.  I kind of agree that a dao is the way to go for a pocket pistol.  But I just don't shoot double action well especially in a small gun.  I can do ok with my cz 75 compact but every small mistake becomes magnified on these really small guns.  Now you could make the argument that they can be shot good enough for their intended purpose.  As to the 365 I just do not trust that gun without a manual safety.  Their isn't that much takeup and there is a pretty light trigger.  If you are going to have to have a safety I would rather have the single action trigger and lose the capacity.  These aren't meant to be duty weapons but guns to be used in a pinch.  I wouldn't use them as a home defense gun and if I needed more capacity I would probably reconsider my neighborhood/job or carry a larger gun.  Now the 365 is a better choice in my opinion for a one gun individual
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 12:39:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:

THIS ^^^^

My carry gun is an FN FiveseveN 5.7X28mm, my BUG is a Rohrbaugh R9S Stealth 9mm. The R9S was machined from billet, NO MIM, NO CASTINGS, NO PLASTIC, just simply put together like a Rolex Daytona.

https://i.imgur.com/dV5Bc88.jpg

The Family Album showing the wife’s R9S, my son’s R9S, and mine.

https://i.imgur.com/CYtKEER.jpg

My R9S in my front pocket holster...

https://i.imgur.com/0LfDo9I.jpg
View Quote

Pursuit from one show me state resident to another. You sir are a man of fine tastes.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 12:40:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Khar MK9 is the baller status "pocket 9mm".

All stainless so it's very tame to shoot. Much more pleasant than a G43 or P365. Same silhouette/profile as the CM9/PM9... (ie: P365-sized).  Uses replaceable grips and dovetail fiber sights so you can upgrade easily.  Made in USA.  One-piece billet machined slide.  Lothar Walther polygonal barrel.  Small parts are machined bar stock (the cheaper Kahr C-series pistols are MIM).

People talk a lot of shit about Kahrs, but their premium P and K series guns are nice basic carry guns and of good quality. Aside from the long DA triggers, the polymer kahrs are about the most glock-like non-glock gun you can get. The only real shortcoming is their long DA-style trigger pull - it's nice and smooth smooth, but long. Similar to a quality revolver DA pull. They were fantastic pistols in their heyday and their exploration into micro pistols was ahead of it's time. Although I think the K and P series are a bit overpriced nowadays compared to the features/capacity of modern pocket pistols. Still, if you can find a cheap PM9/P9/MK9/K9 they are fantastic small slim reliable carry pistols.  The C/CM series can be spotty until proven and are less refined.

My little MK9 in it's tiny AIWB holster.

G19, MK9, Baer 1911:

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 12:51:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:

THIS ^^^^

My carry gun is an FN FiveseveN 5.7X28mm, my BUG is a Rohrbaugh R9S Stealth 9mm. The R9S was machined from billet, NO MIM, NO CASTINGS, NO PLASTIC, just simply put together like a Rolex Daytona.

https://i.imgur.com/dV5Bc88.jpg

The Family Album showing the wife’s R9S, my son’s R9S, and mine.

https://i.imgur.com/CYtKEER.jpg

My R9S in my front pocket holster...

https://i.imgur.com/0LfDo9I.jpg
View Quote

R9's are pretty sweet guns. Very high quality and good looking .380-sized guns that still shoots 9mm. But they have a few pretty big downsides;
only rated for non+P 9mm
No slide stop
heel mag release
Out of production and expensive ($800+)
maintenance intensive (spring changes every 200)

They're amazing little guns, but not without their quirks.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 12:01:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 1:18:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I use the Beretta Nano for pocket carry.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I switched to the S&W M&P Shield 9mm.

But I'm 6'0" 300lbs - it just disappears on my person.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By GrandmasterB:
Kahr PM9 or the same gun with a few cost cutting manufacturing tweaks, the CM9.  Small and pocketable with a very smooth, double-action trigger.  It's not a capacity king, however.  But it is a great gun.
View Quote

This.  Really like my PM9.  It's been uber-reliable and is exceedingly accurate for its small size.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 5:26:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I never thought about upgrading my Colt Mustang until I found the Kimber micro 9. It's what a 9 mm pocket pistol should be as far as I'm concerned. And it has a built-in laser grip if you like.

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 1:43:00 AM EDT
[#21]
CM9 or PM9 for pocket. I carry a Rohrbaugh and love it. As mentioned, it’s got its quirks though.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 1:18:46 PM EDT
[#22]
I find the Rohrbaugh R9/R9S is without equal. It's slim, there's virtually nothing to snag, and it works well. It IS one of those firearms that you have to test thoroughly and find the right ammo for, though. Recoil springs need to be changed often, and +P ammo is a no-go. Although larger and thus a little bit more of a pocket-filler, it's significantly easier to control than a Seecamp in 380.

I also have a P938, a Kimber Micro 9, and a Colt Pocket Nine. I used to have a Kahr PM9 and an M&P Shield. I found all of them too big to realistically pocket carry. The Rohrbaugh is just right.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 2:05:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 2:12:53 PM EDT
[#24]
I shopped around for a while for a micro compact 9mm, and I went with the PM9. It's not the smallest 9mm on the market but it'd damned close. It's not a true DAO design since you can't do double strikes on a light primer, but that's kind of nitpicky. After a few hundred rounds I haven't had a single malfunction yet, not including the MagGuts extension which gave me one headache after another.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 2:40:48 PM EDT
[#25]
KT P-11 is smaller than a Sig P365. They don't get much love around here but mine has been hammering away (no pun intended) for 20 years.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 3:03:15 PM EDT
[#26]
I carry a P30sk LEM and when I need something small/pocket carry, I reach for the Kahr MK9 because they have similar trigger systems.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 1:45:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By sigman68:
I carry a P30sk LEM and when I need something small/pocket carry, I reach for the Kahr MK9 because they have similar trigger systems.
View Quote

Interesting. Mine is a lem also.  I really like it but I wasn’t sure at first.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 7:48:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By pajasonc:
365 is the only one that is going to give you 10+rounds of capacity.  I recently purchased a Springfield 911 which is a sig 938 clone.  I really like it. One thing I have found is the single action triggers make a big difference on very small guns.  Springfield is 7+1,same as the 938, kimbers micro 9 is 8+1 with extended mag.
View Quote

I recently tried the 911 .380 and was very impressed w/the entire package; fit, finish, trigger, texturing, sights, heft & feel in my hand.
Picked one up and was even more impressed w/how it shoots; very accurate and recoil was minimal making it a pleasure to shoot (not many .380's/9mm's that size can make that claim).
Once it's proven its reliability it'll be my back-pocket 24/7.

Tomac

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 4:59:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By ar15a292f:
I use the Beretta Nano for pocket carry.
View Quote

If I'm carrying a small 9mm that's what I carry.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 5:06:21 AM EDT
[#30]
I have the 938 and p365

I carry the p365 all the time

But the 938 is smaller

Get both?
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#31]
If I was looking to get a good back up gun, I'd get one of these.

https://www.bondarms.com/bond-arms-handguns/bond-arms-bullpup/
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 9:15:21 PM EDT
[#32]
My Kahr P9 is my daily carry in a Errand AIWB made by Spencers Concealment.

I am looking for a small .380 or 9mm now to carry in a fanny pack while jogging/walking the dog.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:50:56 AM EDT
[#33]
P365 for the capacity and size win!!
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Springfield's Hellcat would be the most comparable gun on the market to the p365.... But it's made in Coatia vs the USA (Sig), so there is that if it matters to you.

Flat trigger in the P365 made a big difference for me on this tiny gun. My trigger finger does not have to bend as far towards the rear to make the gun go bang with the flat trigger. Curved trigger p365, I went to first knuckle. Flat trigger p365 allows me to use my finger pad, as I am more accustomed to. I have small hands, and this still made a nice difference for me in terms of trigger finger stress.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 9:49:50 AM EDT
[#35]
I'll never carry anything but my SIG P938.

It's compact, reasonably light, yet very controllable, with a great single-action trigger.  With a proper holster it can safely be pocket carried in Condition 1.

Pocket carry means less capacity - I can live with 8 rounds + a spare mag.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:02:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By intheburbs:
Diamondback DB9 is my pocket carry of choice.  Absolutely tiny package, similar to other .380s.

I put 200 rounds through it before I was willing to carry it.  It's a nasty little bugger to shoot, simply because of its size/thickness compared to the power of the cartridge.  200 rounds, zero malfunctions.  Lockwork is just like Glock, except it's rotary, not linear.  Even sounds like a Glock when you dryfire it.  6-round mags.

In the winter, I carry it in my CCW "jacket," pistol in a pocket holster in the right breast pocket, spare mags in 2 zip pockets in the sleeve.  Summer time it sits just fine in a pocket in my shorts.
View Quote

Same
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:56:37 AM EDT
[#37]
SCCY CPX2 -  small, lightweight, good ergonomics, double action only (with or without manual safety) and holds ten plus one.  

Mine would fail to feed every mag so I did some research and found they had a lot of bad mags get out.  I called SCCY and they sent me two new magazines.  It hasn't malfunctioned since.  I'm looking forward to the new striker fired models just coming out.  I definitely want the one with the factory red dot.  The prices are extremely good too.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:27:12 PM EDT
[#38]
I started with a Kahr PM9 in a desantis superfly.  Easily carried in my front pocket of all my pants and shorts.   Size and weight of the PM9 is great, but I could not get used to the trigger.  When the Glock 43 came out, I swapped over to it.  Slightly larger than the PM9, but fits the desantis superfly holster for the PM9.  The desantis superfly for the Glock 43 is only slightly larger than the one for the PM9.  Again the Glock 43 is easily carried in all my pants and shorts.  Both are good choices, I just preferred the trigger on the glock.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 7:14:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Is the Mossberg MC1SC a pocket 9?  Better trigger than the G43 and uses G43 mags. Threw away the cheap ETS mags that came with it though. Mossberg did a great job right out of the gate with this pistol.  DLC barrel and slide coating, and manufactured in TX.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:19:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Is the Mossberg MC1SC a pocket 9?  Better trigger than the G43 and uses G43 mags. Threw away the cheap ETS mags that came with it though. Mossberg did a great job right out of the gate with this pistol.  DLC barrel and slide coating, and manufactured in TX.
View Quote

I bought the mossberg for my daughter. I like it. If it had a thumb safety I would like it better. I agree they did a good job.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top