Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2020 5:08:06 PM EDT
Bought my first spaghetti blaster this week, a nice used 92A1.

I’m curious if y’all have similar scratches into the frame from the take down lever. I have seen a lot of pictures of used 92’s and there isn’t an obvious scratch. Thanks!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 6:38:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I see no scratches
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 6:54:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure what scratches you are referring too, but I can tell you the finish on the Beretta 92's the last few years is really sub par.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 7:05:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Someone didn't fully depress the takedown button before actuating the lever.  Still works fine.  Don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Send it back. You ruined it, imagine how you will mess it up shooting and cleaning it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 9:16:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Some of y’all are so helpful
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 9:17:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Someone didn't fully depress the takedown button before actuating the lever.  Still works fine.  Don't worry about it.
View Quote

Ok cool that’s why I was trying to figure out, bc it wasn’t binding or scratching during normal take down lever operation. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Send it back. You ruined it, imagine how you will mess it up shooting and cleaning it.
View Quote

Thanks for the snarky ass comment. You must be hilarious all the time. How dare someone ask about their pistol when you’re logged in, I’ll bet you’re always setting them straight.

It’s like every section is GD now, fucks sake.

ETA: pay for a membership you leech
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 9:25:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Probably a sharp edge on the backside of that takedown lever.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 9:29:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I took out the lever and had a look, all
Smooth, i wonder if something didn’t get between it and the frame. Bc I can feel it with my finger nail. Oh well, prolly
Just put some aluminum black on it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 9:32:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's what caused the visible ring of unfinished aluminum that the red arrow is pointing at. To avoid it, the underside of the takedown latch would've needed to have been inspected and de-burred. Probably a manufacturing QC oversight.

I have an M9 and M9A1 and neither have a ring like that.

The other finish wear on the face of the latch itself is common and, as said above, caused by not holding the catch button and instead allowing the takedown latch to rotate against the button's own spring pressure.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 9:34:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I took out the lever and had a look, all
Smooth, i wonder if something didn't get between it and the frame.
View Quote
That's also a possibility. All it would've taken is a piece of grit or something harder than the aluminum, and the steel takedown lever will turn it into a cutting instrument as it rotates against it.

If the Aluminum Black doesn't do it for you (and it tends to not blacken very well unless the raw aluminum is freshly exposed) then you could also dip the tip of a toothpick in a little Testors flat black model paint and go around the cut with it. If you don't use too much it kinda distributes itself and dries to match really well. Degrease the frame with acetone first and let it dry a full 48 hours before reassembly.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 9:55:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That's also a possibility. All it would've taken is a piece of grit or something harder than the aluminum, and the steel takedown lever will turn it into a cutting instrument as it rotates against it.

If the Aluminum Black doesn't do it for you (and it tends to not blacken very well unless the raw aluminum is freshly exposed) then you could also dip the tip of a toothpick in a little Testors flat black model paint and go around the cut with it. If you don't use too much it kinda distributes itself and dries to match really well. Degrease the frame with acetone first and let it dry a full 48 hours before reassembly.
View Quote

Thanks so much for advice. I’ll keep y’all posted.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 10:10:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Weird, I've owned several Beretta's over the years, even carried one on-duty for some time, and I've never seen shiny like that under the takedown lever.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 11:10:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Weird, I've owned several Beretta's over the years, even carried one on-duty for some time, and I've never seen shiny like that under the takedown lever.
View Quote

This is what I get for buying used shit on gun broker lol
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 10:42:06 PM EDT
[#15]
i have a used beater Beretta 96 i bought a few years ago off gunbroker. its all scratched up and got some of the anodizing coming off on the edges and even has the wear marks under the takedown lever similiar to yours. Its mostly a cosmetic issue and since it is a beater pistol i dont worry about it, still runs 100%.

you could always pop out the takedown lever and make sure you got no burs or anything on the under side. Really is easy to take them out, just take off the slide and rotate that lever past the assembled position, just watch your takedown pin and spring cause the will fall right out too. easy to put back in too.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 6:32:20 PM EDT
[#16]
My police trade in 92S has a similar scrape.

The lever is steel and the frame is aluminum. Kind of goes with the territory.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:21:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I know this thread is a few months old but I was just googling this because my 92A1 has the exact same thing.  I bought it new fall 2020.

The button on the other side is very easy to depress and I never felt it scraping the frame when I rotated the lever. So I don’t think it is from not pushing the button hard enough when rotating the takedown lever.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 11:10:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I know this thread is a few months old but I was just googling this because my 92A1 has the exact same thing.  I bought it new fall 2020.
View Quote

Was it a TN-made gun?
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 11:20:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This is what I get for buying used shit on gun broker lol
View Quote

Are you just being dramatic or does that statement actually your honest belief?
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 9:34:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Are you just being dramatic or does that statement actually your honest belief?
View Quote

Why does it matter?  
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 9:56:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 12:22:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Was it a TN-made gun?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was it a TN-made gun?

Nope, made in Italy.  One of the ones with the oddball barrel threading 14X1.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 9:42:16 AM EDT
[#23]
I have the same mark on my Italian made 92fs.  Bought the pistol new, Just figured it was a steel on aluminum issue.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 12:48:53 PM EDT
[#24]
My 92A1 has a similar mark but honestly you can't see it very well without magnification.  I had never really noticed it until I saw this post and looked really close.  For me it's a non-issue.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 9:06:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Nope, made in Italy.  One of the ones with the oddball barrel threading 14X1.
View Quote

Yeah, it's metric.  

I have that on my H&K's as well. Tits on a bull, IMO.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:50:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Either that, or get over it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 9:00:25 AM EDT
[#27]
sharpie saves the day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top