Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/18/2021 10:55:01 AM EDT
First 92 ever. Got it back to work and noticed the barrel looks like shit. Is this normal?

Or should I contact beretta warranty department?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I’m sure function will be fine. But for $575 I’ve seen Hi points with better barrels lol.

Thoughts?

Also best deal on a threaded barrel?
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 3:36:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Typical superlative Beretta craftsmanship.  It's a service pistol; if it works, all good.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 4:18:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I would ask their service dept. I’ve seen worse I’ve seen better.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 4:55:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Typical superlative Beretta craftsmanship.  It's a service pistol; if it works, all good.
View Quote

Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks seems pretty rough but its not a show piece. So whatever I guess.

I did take it home and shoot it on my lunch break and it was a jam-o-matic with my light 147gr reloads, these same reloads function 100% in about 5 different Glocks, M11, AR9 and CZ75. It did function fine with generic 115gr WW or GECO.

Are the berettas known for this?

What type of reduced power spring should I run?
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 5:07:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I did take it home and shoot it on my lunch break and it was a jam-o-matic with my light 147gr reloads, these same reloads function 100% in about 5 different Glocks, M11, AR9 and CZ75. It did function fine with generic 115gr WW or GECO.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Spring rates for 92 Compact & Centurion 9mm & .40 S&W:

Reduced Power...: 12 & 13 Lb.
Factory Standard.: 14 Lb.
Extra Power.........: 16 & 18 Lb.

Spring rates for 92 & 96 full size pistols 9mm & .40 S&W:

Reduced Power...:  9, 10, 11 & 12 Lb.
Factory Standard.:  13 Lb.
Extra Power.........: 14, 15, 16, 18 & 20 Lb.

I also just picked up a Centurion 92x and the barrel is on the outside looks kinda crappy, not that bad though. I can feel a raise edge halfway down the barrel. Haven't shot it yet.

I would definitely contact them, that looks awful.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 5:11:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Spring rates for 92 Compact & Centurion 9mm & .40 S&W:

Reduced Power...: 12 & 13 Lb.
Factory Standard.: 14 Lb.
Extra Power.........: 16 & 18 Lb.

Spring rates for 92 & 96 full size pistols 9mm & .40 S&W:

Reduced Power...:  9, 10, 11 & 12 Lb.
Factory Standard.:  13 Lb.
Extra Power.........: 14, 15, 16, 18 & 20 Lb.

I also just picked up a Centurion 92x and the barrel is on the outside looks kinda crappy, not that bad though. I can feel a raise edge halfway down the barrel. Haven't shot it yet.

I would definitely contact them, that looks awful.
View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Man my barrel on my M9A3 was great. Until i took it out and saw the bottom that is not visible. But it's accurate and it works. But I do feel at the price of these guns they should be more flawless.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#7]
This topic was discussed recently here:

https://berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=150748
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 5:47:00 PM EDT
[#8]
If it wasn’t exposed I wouldn’t care. But that barrel is, and I wouldn’t be happy with it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 6:01:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I need to inspect the slide. I did see a small scratch on the slide but didn't think anything about it. Probably mag hitting it in the box no big deal.

Think I will send them a email when I get home. Not sure what they can to make it right other than replace the barrel.

Hate to be a pain in the arse but for $575 it should look better than this.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 6:05:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If it wasn’t exposed I wouldn’t care. But that barrel is, and I wouldn’t be happy with it.
View Quote

My CZ 75 has a few marks inside the slide (totally fine by me) but all of the exterior and matting surfaces are a mirror finish.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 7:30:34 PM EDT
[#11]
This is typical of Gallatin, TN made Beretta's. Aesthetically they don't look the best but I'm sure it won't affect function.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 7:49:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is typical of Gallatin, TN made Beretta's. Aesthetically they don't look the best but I'm sure it won't affect function.
View Quote

If you follow some of the links above, there are Italian and pre Tennessee guns the same way. It appears year has more to do with it than location.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 8:51:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If you follow some of the links above, there are Italian and pre Tennessee guns the same way. It appears year has more to do with it than location.
View Quote

Wow, that Italian 92FS was pretty rough. Makes sense that companies are cutting corners in production to get product out on the shelves.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 6:15:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Hope the OP doesnt mind me joining in here... just got my 92x RDO Centurion home and the barrel already has rust or something on the the end.

I used some Hoppes and CLP to try and clean it off, but no change. What are yinz guys thoughts?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 9:37:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hope the OP doesnt mind me joining in here... just got my 92x RDO Centurion home and the barrel already has rust or something on the the end.

I used some Hoppes and CLP to try and clean it off, but no change. What are yinz guys thoughts?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/450791/PXL_20211124_215552242_jpg-2179808.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/450791/PXL_20211124_215607910_jpg-2179811.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/450791/PXL_20211124_215628532_jpg-2179812.JPG
View Quote

Looks almost like copper residue.

Also I called beretta after they didn’t respond to my online warranty request. They provided me with a link to send the gun back in via UPS. Was mailed on Monday and arrived this morning. Website said 6 wk turn around so unsure how long it will take since it’s a barrel swap. It did go back to Maryland and not TN.

The lady I spoke to was very nice. I tried to get them to look at some hi Rez photos via email to see if it was what they claim to be “in spec” or not but she said to just send it in.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 9:50:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Looks almost like copper residue.

Also I called beretta after they didn’t respond to my online warranty request. They provided me with a link to send the gun back in via UPS. Was mailed on Monday and arrived this morning. Website said 6 wk turn around so unsure how long it will take since it’s a barrel swap. It did go back to Maryland and not TN.

The lady I spoke to was very nice. I tried to get them to look at some hi Rez photos via email to see if it was what they claim to be “in spec” or not but she said to just send it in.
View Quote

Oof 6 weeks. I'll try and get something that works on copper to see if that helps.

Otherwise, this gun feels amazing. Taking it to the range tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 11:53:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Oof 6 weeks. I'll try and get something that works on copper to see if that helps.

Otherwise, this gun feels amazing. Taking it to the range tomorrow.
View Quote

Yep the x series does feel very nice.

Borrowed a members 92Fs years ago and shot it over a weekend. It left me with a very meh impression. The 92 is very iconic and even with the meh impression I told myself I’d get one. Fast forward to now, I had read the X series was designed for shooters with smaller hands. Figured I’d give it a shot. Glad I did because they feel great.

Just wish they made more models with the 1911 style thumb safety. They should make that a standard offering.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 10:40:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Serious question...

I see these types of questions on every gun forum, doesn't anyone look over a gun before purchase?   I realize firearms of all types are  in a supply flux, but you can still be a picky consumer.  I'd rather wait for a pistol that meets my standards than take whatever and then try and warranty it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Serious question...

I see these types of questions on every gun forum, doesn't anyone look over a gun before purchase?   I realize firearms of all types are  in a supply flux, but you can still be a picky consumer.  I'd rather wait for a pistol that meets my standards than take whatever and then try and warranty it.
View Quote

I bought mine online for a screaming deal that went OOS after I bought it.

I gave it a quick look at my kitchen table FFL, but I dont like to waste his time so it looked good and I left.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 9:18:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I bought mine online for a screaming deal that went OOS after I bought it.

I gave it a quick look at my kitchen table FFL, but I dont like to waste his time so it looked good and I left.
View Quote

Mine was the same scenario.

It was a Europtics deal and was their last G model. And I actually had to get the gay 10rd mag model. Local small shop FFl received it looked it over inside the office and looked ok first glance. Got it back to the office and noticed it then.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:02:54 AM EDT
[#21]
I usually don’t complain too much about minor cosmetic things…but……that barrel is not acceptable.  Might be ok if it were a Govt contract barrel but not on a 92X.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:31:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

The fact that the discolored areas align with the rifling is a clue. I think some kind of residue.... molten atomized copper resulting from friction as the bullet goes down the barrel.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 3:11:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The fact that the discolored areas align with the rifling is a clue. I think some kind of residue.... molten atomized copper resulting from friction as the bullet goes down the barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A good scrubbing with a GI toothbrush should clean that crown up real well.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 3:15:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  I'd get a different copper remover, let it soak, then try again with a brush.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 11:22:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Called beretta yesterday and asked for a update. They have had the gun now for a few weeks.

The lady told me they have it but it’s still in line to be looked at by a gunsmith. Said it could take up to 12 weeks.

So we will see.

Once had a Smith & Wesson 442 that had a cylinder / barrel gap that was wonky one time and they replaced the barrel and had it back to me within the same week. Shipped Monday had it back by Saturday.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Been about 6 weeks and no gun. May have to call them back tomorrow. I hope they throw in some mags or something for the long of a wait.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 5:07:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Been about 6 weeks and no gun. May have to call them back tomorrow. I hope they throw in some mags or something for the long of a wait.
View Quote

Not likely
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 8:58:07 AM EDT
[#28]
I agree, it should look a lot better.  My 92 was purchased in the 1990's and the finish is great, and has functioned flawlessly for 1000's of rounds fired - all sorts of reloads, stuff I found on the ground and factory ammo.  Fun and smooth shooter too.  I love Beretta, but they need to do better than your barrel, especially if the gun is also ammo sensitive. It should work with anything that other pistols can run with.  Something ain't right!
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 8:59:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Hope they do.  Don't rush them as long as they make it right!
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 4:56:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Well its been 41 59 days since the 92x was sent back for warranty work. I have not heard a word from beretta.

Called today to inquire about the status of the warranty work and was on hold for 16min and then got a answering machine.

Id have to say after this I say screw berettas CS. I should have just bought a new barrel and been done with it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 10:22:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well its been 41 days since the 92x was sent back for warranty work. I have not heard a word from beretta.

Called today to inquire about the status of the warranty work and was on hold for 16min and then got a answering machine.

Id have to say after this I say screw berettas CS. I should have just bought a new barrel and been done with it.
View Quote

I sold a like new 92X barrel along with a NOS Beretta steel guide rod plus spring for $150 last week on the Beretta forum.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:40:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Well its been 41 days since the 92x was sent back for warranty work. I have not heard a word from beretta.

View Quote

Two weeks ago you said about six weeks, and now it's 41 days, which is less than 6 weeks.

All for a cosmetic issue on a service pistol that you got an absolute steal of a deal on.  

Stop calling and bothering them.  You'll get it back eventually.  Hopefully you'll actually shoot the thing and put some real wear marks on it and enjoy it, that's why they built it in the first place.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 9:28:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Two weeks ago you said about six weeks, and now it's 41 days, which is less than 6 weeks.

All for a cosmetic issue on a service pistol that you got an absolute steal of a deal on.  

Stop calling and bothering them.  You'll get it back eventually.  Hopefully you'll actually shoot the thing and put some real wear marks on it and enjoy it, that's why they built it in the first place.
View Quote

This is a tech thread not GD go be a troll somewhere else. Also you do realize the CS person that is supposed to be answering phone is not the one working on the guns right?

I also looked at my scratch pad wrong. The date I initially used that gave the 41 days was from a different package.

I found the receipt from the next day air package and it was late Nov.  59 days,  a little over 8 weeks from today.

I also did get a reply from Beretta late last night.
We do apologize for the experience. It looks like the firearm is needing a replacement barrel that we do not have in stock at this time, however it is on backorder once the barrel comes in the firearm will be repaired and sent back.

Respectfully,
Your Beretta Tech Support Team
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 11:08:49 AM EDT
[#34]
They have threaded barrels in stock. I’d see if they’d split the difference in cost, or throw in one of those free of charge.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 11:58:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
They have threaded barrels in stock. I’d see if they’d split the difference in cost, or throw in one of those free of charge.
View Quote

The letter that I enclosed with the gun actually said that. Maybe they will but I doubt it.

Thought it was kinda strange they don’t keep 92 barrels in stock at there MD facility but since 92 is made in TN now guess they have to have one shipped up from that location.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 9:29:35 AM EDT
[#36]
My only Beretta, FS Centurion, is a first-year production with proper machining, a decent finish and no legal verbiage. What I see now is machining with no pride in workmanship,
QC with the end goal being does it shoot a bullet. If so, ship it out. Sure, it will unload a magazine but so will a HI-Point. Imagine If Sig started building the P series with Beretta's QC.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 10:33:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My only Beretta, FS Centurion, is a first-year production with proper machining, a decent finish and no legal verbiage. What I see now is machining with no pride in workmanship,
QC with the end goal being does it shoot a bullet. If so, ship it out. Sure, it will unload a magazine but so will a HI-Point. Imagine If Sig started building the P series with Beretta's QC.
View Quote

What you see is $12.66 hr workmanship from a “no skills required” position.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 12:29:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Mine and another 2021 production gun were both just a little rough on the inside of the slide, but not terrible. Otherwise they both looked perfect.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 5:31:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Called today and spoke with a lady in the CS dept after a 5-8min hold.

She then put me on hold to check with the actual warranty dept. She came back and said they were gone for the weekend (call was at 2:50pm EST ) and it would be monday before they could get back with me.

She did say that since the time frame has taken so long that they may just send me a new gun and told her that was fine too. I did inform her we are at 81 days and still no movement on getting it fixed.

I was nice and courteous so was she. Just politely informed her this was all a bit much for a simple barrel swap.  So we will see.

81 Days
or
2 Months 20 days
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:45:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Not trying to be a dick but why not just shoot the barrel till its worn out or buy a new one?

If your end goal is to have a nice looking barrel there are plenty of new ones or used ones, or you could refinish the one you have yourself.

If your end goal is to have a nice looking barrel on Berettas dime, then you have to accept that you can't control Beretta and might get upset at their customer service.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 12:43:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Not trying to be a dick but why not just shoot the barrel till its worn out or buy a new one?

If your end goal is to have a nice looking barrel there are plenty of new ones or used ones, or you could refinish the one you have yourself.

If your end goal is to have a nice looking barrel on Berettas dime, then you have to accept that you can't control Beretta and might get upset at their customer service.
View Quote

So if you bought a new car and the paint was flaking off and had cracks/ gouges in the sheet metal would you go out and buy a new body for it?
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 3:13:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

So if you bought a new car and the paint was flaking off and had cracks/ gouges in the sheet metal would you go out and buy a new body for it?
View Quote
Beretta may or may not warranty that barrel. If they don't you can hate them and never buy Beretta again, but you'd still have to do something about the barrel. Keep an eye out in EE for barrels, they come up every now and again. Beretta's website also runs regular sales on barrels, but I'd understand if you don't want to buy from Beretta anymore.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 12:09:32 PM EDT
[#43]
“Beretta firearms carry a One-Year Limited Warranty to the original purchaser for defects in materials or workmanship.”

A barrel that fucked up surely falls under workmanship. If I was going to war I wouldn’t care. But as a personally owned product that I spent my money on, I don’t blame OP a bit for wanting that to be fixed.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 4:32:01 PM EDT
[#44]
After I spoke with the lady on Friday she assured me that I would receive a email and or phone call on monday. That never happened.

I called today to follow up with the conversation. Once again got a nice lady had to go over the whole issue again and she informed me that she seen no notes from the call on friday about a return call or email.

I informed her politely that at this point I was pissed off at the situation and request that something more be done. From the conversation on Friday it was indicated that a new gun could be sent to me but the rep I spoke to today said that she had never seen any guidelines to a request like that. ???

She did say that the part (new barrel) was not in stock.

She did say the backlogged warranty parts could possibly be delivered in March.

DAY 85
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 8:52:45 PM EDT
[#45]
I would have just shot it and been happy. I don't care about a little wear I'll wear it more.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 9:10:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I would have just shot it and been happy. I don't care about a little wear I'll wear it more.
View Quote

Absolutely. It's a tool, not a display piece.

I carry an LTT daily and its beat to hell, and I could care less as long as it still funtions.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 9:21:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have to agree but this was beyond a little wear it was physical gouges that I could stick my nail in.

The I potato pics don’t really do it justice.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 3:37:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Bro I hear you on the customer service. Absolute shit.

I bought a shotgun barrel that had to get send back, multiple calls and emails. Never got my refund. I had to finally threaten to do a credit card charge back before it was resolved, only took 4 months.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 6:37:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I have to agree but this was beyond a little wear it was physical gouges that I could stick my nail in.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do understand that and that you'd be disappointed. It's just not something that would bother me.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:27:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Called yesterday and they said that the barrel was defective but no idea when they would get a new one.

Sitting at 102 days at this point.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top