Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2020 2:48:38 PM EDT
Handled one of these at a local shop a couple weeks ago.

The trigger was exquisite. The ergonomics were incredible and the build quality looked superb. Was also a bit lighter than I expected it to be.

Has anyone here bought one yet? Or preferably, shot a few thousand rounds through one? My only experience with Beretta pattern guns is a Cougar 9mm. I'm pretty happy with the Cougar but I'm much more of a CZ aficionado. Can't stand the slide mounted safety.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 3:16:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I own one.. fired about 300 rounds thru her so far. Heavy.. but like you said, exquisite. Trigger is the best Beretta trigger I have ever felt. Accuracy is on par with several other high end target guns... its a winner for the money.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 1:21:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Beretta sales those trigger kits too.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 5:11:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I just bought one. I’m having trouble with mag changes. The stupid frame safety blocks my thumb from the slide release.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just bought one. I'm having trouble with mag changes. The stupid frame safety blocks my thumb from the slide release.
View Quote
Yup, a stupid design for sure. I wonder if anyone shot the gun to empty when the design was being reviewed. The short answer is to use the left thumb to drop the slide, not a good solution to lose the grip on it but it's the only one for now.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 8:16:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I have 350 rounds through mine and mag changes are fine for me, but I use my reaction hand thumb.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 2:55:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I think the slide stop inaccessibility is about the biggest blunder Beretta ever made. I'd rather have a smaller safety lever on mine than be compelled to use my left hand.

Anyway, when Beretta has parts available, I'll buy a new safety and grind it away till the slide stop is more easily used with my right thumb :-)
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 3:19:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think the slide stop inaccessibility is about the biggest blunder Beretta ever made. I'd rather have a smaller safety lever on mine than be compelled to use my left hand.

Anyway, when Beretta has parts available, I'll buy a new safety and grind it away till the slide stop is more easily used with my right thumb :-)
View Quote
Yep pretty much my only issue. I was shooting silhouettes at 100 and 200 yards yesterday with it and was scoring plenty of hits.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yep pretty much my only issue. I was shooting silhouettes at 100 and 200 yards yesterday with it and was scoring plenty of hits.
View Quote
There are a few other "nits" none are show stoppers.

The rail beside being (IMO) an appendage looking for a purpose on such an already large gun, when I use the forward serrations on the slide from underneath the rail scrapes my left palm. I'm also not fond of the serrated trigger. Ergonomically I would have other done things differently, but they didn't ask :-)
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 8:20:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Is the safety stopping people from using their thumbs to depress the slide release?
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is the safety stopping people from using their thumbs to depress the slide release?
View Quote
Unless your right thumb is very long, and crooked (bent inward) it's most likely you have to use the left hand thumb (right hand shooters) to use the slide stop / release.

On other forums a few members have said they can use their right thumb to do it, but their thumb is either long and bent, or their rose colored glasses got in the way of seeing the problem :-)
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 1:26:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Unless your right thumb is very long, and crooked (bent inward) it's most likely you have to use the left hand thumb (right hand shooters) to use the slide stop / release.
View Quote
Seems like I left out "left" when I typed thumb.  Seeing as how the gun was built based off input from IPSC shooters (mainly) I can see why dominant thumb access to the slide release wasnt a big thing versus the safety which can be used to provide more control over the pistol during firing.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 8:58:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

>>SNIP<< Seeing as how the gun was built based off input from IPSC shooters (mainly) I can see why dominant thumb access to the slide release wasnt a big thing versus the safety which can be used to provide more control over the pistol during firing.
View Quote
That's the first I heard of that. If that's so then IPSC shooters approved of the rail? And the Brig slide?

Beretta isn't exactly well represented in gun games but speed holsters are far and few (if at all) between, and a rail  with a brig slide would make a new holster necessary, which likely doesn't exist for a 92 with a brig slide and a rail. Maybe I'm wrong, at any rate, we'll see if the big holster makers start churning out rigs for them, I hope so, I'd like one :-)
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 5:03:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That's the first I heard of that. If that's so then IPSC shooters approved of the rail? And the Brig slide?

Beretta isn't exactly well represented in gun games but speed holsters are far and few (if at all) between, and a rail  with a brig slide would make a new holster necessary, which likely doesn't exist for a 92 with a brig slide and a rail. Maybe I'm wrong, at any rate, we'll see if the big holster makers start churning out rigs for them, I hope so, I'd like one :-)
View Quote
Ernest Langdon was recently speaking about it when someone asked him if he had any input on the X series and he said all of the input came from European IPSC shooters. IIRC, he stated the brig slide was chosen for weight with their goal being to get the gun close to the weight of a Tanfo. The rail is there to make it easier to add a frame mounted optic as seen with the promo photos of the 92X in open gun configuration.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 7:04:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Ernest Langdon was recently speaking about it when someone asked him if he had any input on the X series and he said all of the input came from European IPSC shooters. IIRC, he stated the brig slide was chosen for weight with their goal being to get the gun close to the weight of a Tanfo. The rail is there to make it easier to add a frame mounted optic as seen with the promo photos of the 92X in open gun configuration.
View Quote
That explains it, thanks. We'll see if competitors buy them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 9:23:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought it for completion. But my last match this past weekend it stayed in the safe and I used my Wilson. I can live with everything but that damn long safety. Wonder if I can take it off and sand it down to half the size.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 9:45:05 AM EDT
[#16]
This gun was designed for gun games, and if you're running to slide lock you messed up somewhere...
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 10:11:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I bought it for completion. But my last match this past weekend it stayed in the safe and I used my Wilson. I can live with everything but that damn long safety. Wonder if I can take it off and sand it down to half the size.
View Quote
Beretta is supposed to offer multiple sizes of the safety levers, but who knows when that will actually happen. But sure you can just file them down/reshape them to your liking until then.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 11:04:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This gun was designed for gun games, and if you're running to slide lock you messed up somewhere...
View Quote
I guess, NCPatrolAR was close to reality saying "brig slide was chosen for weight with their goal being to get the gun close to the weight of a Tanfo"

The witness has the same issue with the slide stop/release but LOTS of peeps are using them and not crabbing about it! :-)

Though I'm still mystified why the X'perf came with 14 round mags and hard plastic base plates when Beretta Italy has 17 round mags with softer rubber like thicker base pads available.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 7:35:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I guess, NCPatrolAR was close to reality saying "brig slide was chosen for weight with their goal being to get the gun close to the weight of a Tanfo"

The witness has the same issue with the slide stop/release but LOTS of peeps are using them and not crabbing about it! :-)

Though I'm still mystified why the X'perf came with 14 round mags and hard plastic base plates when Beretta Italy has 17 round mags with softer rubber like thicker base pads available.
View Quote
Beretta even flipped one of the sponsored Tanfoglio shooters to Team Beretta.

This whole venture is a shot across the bow to their neighbors in Brescia.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 10:37:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm not having any of these problems with mines.

But then again, I don't have fat hands or meaty hands. It fits perfect.

But come on...man......
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 12:52:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm not having any of these problems with mines.

But then again, I don't have fat hands or meaty hands. It fits perfect.

But come on...man......
View Quote
You have very long thumbs then if you can hit the slide release.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 12:30:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You have very long thumbs then if you can hit the slide release.
View Quote
+1 :-)

In general I have no problem using my right thumb for any pistol I've ever handled with the exception of the EAA witness and clones of that design. Retraining to use the left hand is the only answer.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 1:43:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Got mine in and ran it through plenty of range time and a moving steel match. First things first-- there are very few holster options for this. I used a universal nylon "pouch" and it did its job but not well. RHT finally added the 92xP but every other holster maker I emailed said they can't do it. I wish Garrett offered their leather lined Kydex since I don't want to scratch up this fancy thing.

Slow fire back to back with a LTT, you can definitely feel the recoil impulse difference. DA trigger on the LTT actually seems preferred. But single action the 92xP is really, really crisp and the reset is unbelievably short with the screw turned out.

For competition, manual hammer down is a bit annoying, and I am used to the safety ears for racking the gun. Sawtooth slide serrations are uncomfortable. The frame safety blocking the slide release is really bothersome for slide lock reloads but this can be fixed when Beretta USA finally has the smaller frame safety plus the wider slide release. I'm also not sure about the downward beavertail, I feel like my grip isn't as high as a regular 92.  Certainly a cool gun but it has its cons.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:39:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Got mine in and ran it through plenty of range time and a moving steel match. First things first-- there are very few holster options for this. I used a universal nylon "pouch" and it did its job but not well. RHT finally added the 92xP but every other holster maker I emailed said they can't do it. I wish Garrett offered their leather lined Kydex since I don't want to scratch up this fancy thing.

Slow fire back to back with a LTT, you can definitely feel the recoil impulse difference. DA trigger on the LTT actually seems preferred. But single action the 92xP is really, really crisp and the reset is unbelievably short with the screw turned out.

For competition, manual hammer down is a bit annoying, and I am used to the safety ears for racking the gun. Sawtooth slide serrations are uncomfortable. The frame safety blocking the slide release is really bothersome for slide lock reloads but this can be fixed when Beretta USA finally has the smaller frame safety plus the wider slide release. I'm also not sure about the downward beavertail, I feel like my grip isn't as high as a regular 92.  Certainly a cool gun but it has its cons.
View Quote
You discovered most of my nits :-) It's good to see owners write about warts and all issues, because those who either ignore or just do not understand them more than just a plinker do no favor to us.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 1:44:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You discovered most of my nits :-) It's good to see owners write about warts and all issues, because those who either ignore or just do not understand them more than just a plinker do no favor to us.
View Quote
That's the thing, this was meant to be for competition so the criticisms and feedback should be competition related.

I still think the gun has a lot of potential, and I will be placing an order for a RHT holster soon enough. Part of me can't help but wonder if the Shadow 2 would be a better choice for most people since it comes out of the box not having any of these issues and fulfills the same role. I've been staring at the location of the S2 slide release in relation to the safety to see if it was ideal.

Though from what I hear, the 92xP is not USPSA approved for production yet anyway.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 2:12:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
There's one right on Beretta's website:  Thunder
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#27]
I have two different holsters that fit mine.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:15:48 PM EDT
[#28]
How is the trigger compared to the 226 Legion?
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 3:35:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That's the thing, this was meant to be for competition so the criticisms and feedback should be competition related.

I still think the gun has a lot of potential, and I will be placing an order for a RHT holster soon enough. Part of me can't help but wonder if the Shadow 2 would be a better choice for most people since it comes out of the box not having any of these issues and fulfills the same role. I've been staring at the location of the S2 slide release in relation to the safety to see if it was ideal.

Though from what I hear, the 92xP is not USPSA approved for production yet anyway.
View Quote
Hang on, that's like saying if someone buys a high performance car that street racers run to the redline, others who buy it can have no opinion?
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 1:42:19 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm hoping the issues with ejection aren't common like I'm reading on Beretta forum, anybody here have these problems? Seems to be quite a few guys with problems there claiming
the extractor spring isn't stiff enough, and a couple have reported their extractor pin walking?? Seems odd considering it's basically a 92 with a few changes for competition.
I haven't been able to fire mine due to the local range being down w/C19 freakout. I don't compete so dropping the slide with my left thumb won't be an issue but I would have
preferred a smaller lever. I did order some LOK grips which are G10 which look great, should have them next week.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 5:15:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm hoping the issues with ejection aren't common like I'm reading on Beretta forum, anybody here have these problems? Seems to be quite a few guys with problems there claiming
the extractor spring isn't stiff enough, and a couple have reported their extractor pin walking?? Seems odd considering it's basically a 92 with a few changes for competition.
I haven't been able to fire mine due to the local range being down w/C19 freakout. I don't compete so dropping the slide with my left thumb won't be an issue but I would have
preferred a smaller lever. I did order some LOK grips which are G10 which look great, should have them next week.
View Quote
I haven't had either of those issues but I also only have around 500 rds through mine.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 5:41:59 PM EDT
[#32]
That's good to hear, I'm hoping to have some rounds through mine next week fingers crossed!!
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 9:03:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Those things are gorgeous.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Finally got to the range today and 200rds of 147gr. mixed HP and TC without a hitch. Zero malfunctions and very accurate, sights were right on. I tried all my 92 mags. 15,18,20 and 30 which all worked flawlessly even some old .mil issue mags. Function is very smooth and the trigger is phenomenal. Waiting on my LOK grips which will complete the package.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#35]
What’s the point of the curved down Beavertail? The more and more I shoot mine the less and less I like it. It’s almost uncomfortable to hold
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 4:37:10 PM EDT
[#36]
I didn't notice it but the grips are a little slippery without gloves which I don't usually wear, but I have small hands so the beavertail is a non issue for me.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Alright I just wanna show off these new grips. It definitely helps and better than both factory grips.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 8:30:29 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 6/9/2020 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#39]

Oh that looks gorgeous.

Link Posted: 6/9/2020 5:16:01 PM EDT
[#40]
those LOK's are hot!!
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 11:02:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Those things are gorgeous.
View Quote

This.  Seriously considering adding one to my collection.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 7:12:46 PM EDT
[#42]
If you have one now is the time to bail on it and pick one up cheap after Trump wins the election. I sent mine down the road. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 10:00:09 PM EDT
[#43]
As of tomorrow my X'perf will have been at Beretta for three months.

Having to whack the slide to get it off for cleaning (a fairly common issue) was a livable problem, but the last time I used it, it took me 15 minutes to put the slide back on! Not one of my many Beretta's ever had an issue like this. So... it's been there "Awaiting Inspection" for three months.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 10:04:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
As of tomorrow my X'perf will have been at Beretta for three months.

Having to whack the slide to get it off for cleaning (a fairly common issue) was a livable problem, but the last time I used it, it took me 15 minutes to put the slide back on! Not one of my many Beretta's ever had an issue like this. So... it's been there "Awaiting Inspection" for three months.
View Quote

First I have heard of this? Just too tight slide to frame? Like a custom 1911 with zero play?
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 11:19:40 PM EDT
[#45]
First? It's fairly common. No not at all like a tight 1911 frame/slide fit, it's somehow connected to barrel / slide / frame fit. Note: not the slide to frame fit.

I tried several other barrels and it does not bind at all with a Taurus barrel. I also have a rare 96D Brig slide which slips on and off without issues. I actually may have the "D" slide milled for the frame safety and use it as a .40 after I get it back.

Link Posted: 6/10/2020 11:53:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
First? It's fairly common. No not at all like a tight 1911 frame/slide fit, it's somehow connected to barrel / slide / frame fit. Note: not the slide to frame fit.

I tried several other barrels and it does not bind at all with a Taurus barrel. I also have a rare 96D Brig slide which slips on and off without issues. I actually may have the "D" slide milled for the frame safety and use it as a .40 after I get it back.

Kiki

View Quote

Do you have any links or anything? I’ve googled for ten minutes straight and can’t find anyone talking about it. Any pictures of yours? Did it happen out of the box or how many rounds did it start?
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 12:55:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If you have one now is the time to bail on it and pick one up cheap after Trump wins the election. I sent mine down the road. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/264989/ED29C24D-974E-4756-B28B-CDCB6892ACE8_png-1456222.JPG
View Quote

What the......they are in stock in some places for the normal price.

Man, I never score on GB like that.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 7:16:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Beretta forum has a few reports, Enos does too. I can't take a pic of a stuck slide.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top