Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2018 12:45:18 AM EDT
I have a 21a I purchased about 18 years ago. It was reliable and very accurate. I put in the safe and pulled it out today, with the intention if occasionally carrying it. I kept having light strikes and failures to feed. I only took CCI mini-mags and Remington Golden bullets.
Do you have any recommendations on ammo to try?
I cleaned and oiled the gun prior to going to the range. I don't recall the ammo I used to use, but I know it was extremely reliable.
Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:56:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Mini Mags should be your best bet in that gun and I’d stay clear of the golden bullet crap. I’d pull it apart as best you can and give it a deep cleaning and thorough lube job.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 2:12:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I had two FTFeed issues with mine: One was the ammo (only truly likes copper-jacked CCIs, no the the HPs), the other was the magazine.  I ended up taking the mag apart and used some steel wool to shine up interior.  It had developed a little corrosion in the corners causing the follower to drag randomly, then causing the round to not be lined up correctly.  Fires perfectly now even with some lead-nosed Federals (though those still screw up now and then).
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:18:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I bet a good cleaning and changing the magazine would fix the problem.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:30:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bet a good cleaning and changing the magazine would fix the problem.
View Quote
This.
Use some solvent like Hoppe’s in the firing pin channel. Just a couple of drops. Work the pin back and forth many times.
Since the gun has been sitting up so long there is a good chance any oil or lube has gelled up.
Also put a couple of drops of light oil on the slide springs and exercise the slide also.
Those springs may be gummed up as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top