Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2020 9:10:02 PM EDT
Any other Bobcat 21A owners out their that noticed their gun is finicky with ammo? Mine will sometimes run 99% fine and other times will have failures to feed, failures to eject, failures to fire on the first our even second trigger pull.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 9:22:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine liked Velocitors
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 9:23:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve had two that would choke on most ammo but ran CCI MiniMags fine.

That’s interesting since the manual that came with my new one says they are designed for standard velocity ammo.

The new one runs CCI standard vel. just fine but it will feed MiniMags and bulk Remington also.
Go figure.

They have a reputation for being finicky.
(Or being jamamatics.)
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 9:24:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I have found it too finicky. It’s at the bottom of my safe.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 12:17:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Mines not. Will even rub thunderbolts.

my first handgun, by the way
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 12:29:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine is reliable AND very accurate , the first shot hit a can at about 30 yds . I love it when that happens .
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 12:46:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine was awesome when it ran, fucking POS when it wouldn't eject and feed. Sold it 20+ years ago and havent bought another one.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 12:56:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Pretty finicky. Runs mini mags, velocitors, and federal bulk pack just fine.  Sights aren't well regulated though.  Shoots pretty far left, even at close range.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 12:57:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Anything equal to or greater than CCI MiniMags runs great  the trick to 21A’s is carrying a small eyedropper of Hoppes and a stack of Qtips. Every 50 rnds drop some Hoppes on one side of a Qtip, swab the chamber, flip it, dry, and continue on. A clean chamber is key to everything.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 1:00:38 AM EDT
[#9]
My second one seems to be worse than the first.

Finally got through an entire magazine without a malf the last range trip....
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 1:03:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Can't own 21A in commie land, so got the 32

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 1:26:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Hmmm..... I bought my first one in Orange, California.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 2:16:05 AM EDT
[#12]
You have to keep the chamber in them clean.
They gum up after just two/three mags fired.
Keep a bore snake in your range bag. Run it thru the barrel a few times after firing a couple of mags.
Mine run well with mini-mags.
I figure the original design wasn’t built for sustained firing. Keep them super clean and it should run for you.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 9:04:39 PM EDT
[#13]
99% reliable....with a suppressor.

Link Posted: 3/11/2020 8:35:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine unfortunately was a jam-o-matic, which sucks bc everyone else's was evidently the shit.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 11:27:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Owned a lot of small 22s over the years, tho not a 21A.  Most of them had definite preferences in ammo.  In my experience they all liked to be kept clean and well lubed also.  Nature of the beast.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You have to keep the chamber in them clean.
They gum up after just two/three mags fired.
Keep a bore snake in your range bag. Run it thru the barrel a few times after firing a couple of mags.
Mine run well with mini-mags.
I figure the original design wasn’t built for sustained firing. Keep them super clean and it should run for you.
View Quote
THIS, mine is very particular about being clean.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 6:42:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I don’t shoot mine much, but it won’t always cycle with weaker ammo. It shoots CCI Stingers reliably.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 10:09:23 PM EDT
[#19]
One of mine came with a mag that needed the feed lips bent in some to feed reliably. Been 100% ever since.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 2:50:18 PM EDT
[#20]
The Beretta Model 20 Jetfire SA (.25 ACP, centerfire caliber) have all been 100% in my experience.

The Beretta Model 21 in .22 LR's have been hit or miss in that respect, all .22 LR's can and will be
rather finicky with some ammo...best ammo has been CCI stingers and CCI Mini-Mag's as far as
reliability is concerned. The CCI brand has always had very positive ignition in .22 rimfire in my
experience.

The most reliable Beretta I have seen (and the most reliable .22 LR SA for that matter) is the Beretta
Model 70S (and it's variants)...It had digested well over 1,000 rounds of .22 LR ammo with out cleaning,
and without a single failure, the only way I could get it to jam was not cleaning it after about 1,200
rounds where it would get so cruddy it was not able go into full battery. Extremely fun pistol to shoot,
excellent trigger and sights, build quality was awesome (all steel)...I was able to shoot it full auto fast,
that's how crisp and light the trigger was.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 11:48:54 AM EDT
[#21]
They have always been problematic for me.  Berettas and the Taurus version

The work great for the first few magazines, then a failure to feed once in awhile.

The 25 auto are better.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Mine is a jamboree...
I'm going to try the suggested post 2-3 mag cleaning regiment, and see is this remedies my jam sessions.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 7:18:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I have one from 87 and a new one.
I was shooting them both and trying different ammo.
CCI 36 HP factory seconds ran fine. Others didn't have enough ass to run it.
Browning BPR is shit anyway.
Aguila super extra HV was under powered as was CCI SV.
Going to try others this year.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 11:30:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes had one got rid of it.  Cute little gun but like someone said if it is dirty it will jam.  I just didn't
need that.  But it looks like Ruger has a new little
22 lr.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 11:53:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yes had one got rid of it.  Cute little gun but like someone said if it is dirty it will jam.  I just didn't
need that.  But it looks like Ruger has a new little
22 lr.  
View Quote

I'm pretty happy with my LCP 22.
Had a few misfires but nothing out of the ordinary for a rimfire pistol.

The lcp shoots better than my single six, holds 10rds,  I've been walkin around the house for 2 weeks in nylon shorts carrying it iwb. No belt just a drawstring.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 12:11:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Since these little guns do not have an extractor they rely on blowback to eject the spent casing.
Anything impeding that is bad juju.
That's why the chamber walls must be kept clean as possible to ensure smooth empty case movement.
22lr is bad about leaving wax and powder granules after firing. These get on the chamber walls and cause the extraction issues.

Stay with 40grn rounded nose ammo. I've had very good luck with CCI mini-mags.
Bore snake out the barrel if you're gonna do extended firing. And by extended firing I mean more than two/three mags.
Also make sure the bolt face is clean and dry. It can get gummy as well. These little guns its super easy to remove the slide and clean it.
Doesn't take but a minute to snake it out and wipe off the bolt face.
I've sat and fired over 200rds at a time with little issues doing the snake and clean thing.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Attachment Attached File

I've been using this in my LCP.  Some of the cleanest 22 ammo I've ever used.  
Also extremely accurate
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 11:32:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Anything equal to or greater than CCI MiniMags runs great  the trick to 21A’s is carrying a small eyedropper of Hoppes and a stack of Qtips. Every 50 rnds drop some Hoppes on one side of a Qtip, swab the chamber, flip it, dry, and continue on. A clean chamber is key to everything.
View Quote

^ That.

It's not a gun for marathon range sessions, it's a pocket carry pistol.    Swab it out every few dozen rounds and clean the chamber with a bronze .25 cal brush when you get home and you should be good to go.

A suppressor will let you shoot much longer without ejection issues.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 9:09:52 PM EDT
[#29]
I have found the best reliability with 40gr Mini-Mags, a clean chamber, and the magazine downloaded by one round. For some reason, most of the jams occur on the first round with a topped off mag.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 12:03:17 AM EDT
[#30]
I bought one earlier this year at a local gun show.

I have not had any trouble with mine shooting all the ammo I have fed it. Over 2,000 rounds of all types thru it. No FTF's, FTE's, or jams.

CCI Standard, Minimag, Velocitors, Stingers, Federal Bulk Pack, Winchester Bulk Pack, have all functioned flawlessly.

I cleaned it when I bought and oiled it up, used the boresnake and cleaned the magazines as well.

I also have fired the No Gunpowder Aguila shells, although they will fire, they will not cycle, and that was as expected.

I have let friends shoot it too, and it really shoots a fireball out of the short barrel with the Stinger ammo. It still chrono's at about 1,000 FPS.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 12:04:32 AM EDT
[#31]
I have found mine to be most reliable with older Winchester Wildcat ammo, and generally, standard pressure ammo. It's horrible using Stingers.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 11:02:13 PM EDT
[#32]
When it got dirty jammed most of the time.
Very accurate when it didn't jam.  I liked it but can't stand a gun that hams most of the time.. Traded
it bye bye.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 11:24:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Ime they aren’t a reliable pistol, fun to shoot, neat to own, nice to have in the collection, but If you want something small and reliable the beretta 70 series .22lr are the ticket.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 11:56:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I don’t shoot mine much, but it won’t always cycle with weaker ammo. It shoots CCI Stingers reliably.
View Quote

I had one several years, reliable with everything I tried except Stingers. Wouldn’t pick up the next round(may have ran the slide too fast?).  

Eventually malfunctioned with other ammo often enough that gave up on it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:49:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Mine is finicky, it won't shoot any of the cheap bulk ammo reliably.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 9:04:08 PM EDT
[#36]
how old is recoil spring??  
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 6:04:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 3:41:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Mine was never reliable so I got an LCP instead
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 9:00:27 PM EDT
[#39]
I’ve owned a lot of the small 22s over the years.  Haven’t had a Beretta but do have the Taurus version.  

They’re all finicky about ammo.  They all need to be kept clean, really clean, and well oiled.   Blazer is my go to ammo.

The one exception is the Ruger SR 22.  That damned thing just runs.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 8:31:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
99% reliable....with a suppressor.

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 9:54:14 AM EDT
[#41]

I love the tomcat and the 32 round but every tomcat I have seen has cracked the frame right above the thin part of the trigger guard. Beretta offers replacement with the ugly pico or ugly nano.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 2:24:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I love the tomcat and the 32 round but every tomcat I have seen has cracked the frame right above the thin part of the trigger guard. Beretta offers replacement with the ugly pico or ugly nano.
View Quote

I have both the .22 & .32 versions. I got the .32 with the frame already cracked. It doesn't hurt a thing. It can be fixed by having the crack cut out of it. 1911s used to have a similar problem with a similar fix. Now most 1911s come with the frame already milled to avoid the crack.First pic shows a 1911 frame w/crack, second pic shows a new frame with that area milled to prevent a crack. This is similar to the Tomcat frame crack.

On my 21 I got it used but mint condition. The first time I shot it was a disappointment. It had multiple stoppages per mag with several types of ammo. I polished the chamber and cleaned well, tried a new factory mag and still had problems. After searching the web for fixes, I decided it needed to be broken in. I took about 250 rounds of mixed ammo to include mini mags,thunderbolts,wildcats, and a few mystery rounds. I just loaded mags and dumped them. Near the end of the session the last 7-8 mags fed perfectly, and this was when loaded with a mix of rounds, and no cleaning during this session. I really got the gun pretty warm doing this.

After that I cleaned and lubed it. Just working the action by hand,it feels lots soother than it did. I think a couple hundred more successful rounds and this will make a good back up gun.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 3:15:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Best thing you can do is toss a pack of Qtips and a bottle of hoppes in the range bag. Wet swab the chamber every 50 rnds and then flip the qtip and dry before reloading again. Improves 21A reliably significantly.

ETA: Holy thread resurrection Batman. Just saw I replied with the same thing earlier this year.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 9:40:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 6:59:31 PM EDT
[#45]
I've owned two and neither would run for shit with any ammo. Never again.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 5:39:14 PM EDT
[#46]
CCI Stingers worked well, I think mini-mags too.
Maybe it was just mine, but that thing attracted all the lint and dust in the universe. Maybe it was just so wide-open a design that anything could get inside. Never had a gun before or since that collected dust that fast and that heavy, so regular cleaning is a must ime.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:29:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Put a few drops of Mobil One on the rounds in the magazine.

That helps with extraction
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top