Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2018 3:29:22 PM EDT
I've been shooting for a few years now.  Have had a lot of malfunctions but never one that scared me like this.

I was out last night shooting on my farm and had a cartridge jam halfway into the barrel when I was trying to drop the slide on a reload.  I did not notice it until I pulled the trigger and no bang (it was dark outside and I couldn't tell the slide was not fully in battery).  Because the extractor was already locked onto the case I could not pull the slide back enough to lock it back (or maybe I couldn't pull the slide back for a different reason?).  I also couldn't push the slide all the way into battery - despite a few good palm wacks (maybe a bad idea in retrospect). All this fiddling did make the trigger reset...which left me in a scary position.

I eventually managed to get my G19 apart... but it was a harrowing process that involved me pointing it in a safe direction and pulling the trigger again - then pulling down the slide release tabs and pulling the slide off the gun.  Then I had to remove the slide plate in order to get the barrel out of the slide.  I probably should not have done this...but I did not want to drive a long distance with the gun in the back of my car like that.

Now I have the barrel out of my gun and the round is jammed up real good in there.  I am about to grab a wooden pasta spoon from the kitchen and push that sucker out.  Wanted to get some opinions/info from you guys before I started.  I have included pictures of the whole malfunction from start to finish.  I won't include the name of the ammo manufacturer because I am not sure that they were the ones at fault yet... But it is very expensive ammo from a reputable company.

Link Posted: 12/8/2018 3:33:54 PM EDT
[#1]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 3:35:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure it is the glock...not sure what it was.  Are you saying you think this is the glock?

I've fired 4-5 hundred rounds through this gun with no issue until I started using this particular ammo.  Previously I was using cheap Walmart 9mm and also HST 147G.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 3:48:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Is that from Danger Close Armory?
Looks very familiar. .
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 3:50:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is that from Danger Close Armory?
Looks very familiar. .
View Quote
Yes it is a DCA gun.  I love it.  I wanted a blended beavertail and they did an awesome job.  They no longer offer the beavertail mod so I am keeping this frame forever now.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 3:50:12 PM EDT
[#5]
If the extractor is on the case best thing to do is slam the round out by forcing the slide back. This was likely a field servicable issue. You can use a wood table, etc to push the slide back against metal sites or otherwise. Now wtf are you gonna do?
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 3:53:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If the extractor is on the case best thing to do is slam the round out by forcing the slide back. This was likely a field servicable issue. You can use a wood table, etc to push the slide back against metal sites or otherwise. Now wtf are you gonna do?
View Quote
Embarrassing... but good to know.  I swear I was pulling back on that slide with all my might.  I did not think to force it back with a stationary.  I am going to wooden spoon this guy out...
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 4:21:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Got it out with a wooden dowel.  Turns out it's just the casing stuck in there.  I guess that instead of the malfunction occurring on a reload it actually occurred on the last bullet of the mag before the reload...
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 4:33:35 PM EDT
[#8]
In for update.

Dibs on Glock.

Link Posted: 12/8/2018 4:42:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Glock Perfection.

NOT
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 5:12:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Glock Perfection.

NOT
View Quote
"Glock Perfection" is just that...nothing more.

No pistol has achieved true perfection.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
But Glocks don't malfunction.
View Quote
This was a user malfunction.....Glock says "Don't use reloads".
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 9:55:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like OAL fail.

Put it back on the frame and either put the slide in a vise and whack the shit outta the frame by hand or hammer or use the edge of a table on the rear sight or a corner of the muzzle end of the slidie.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:53:14 PM EDT
[#13]
It happens even with a Glock.  Haven't met one yet that couldn't be cleared on the fly quickly by "mortaring" just by holding the slide firmly overhand ,like you're racking it, and slamming the backstrap with the web of your hand between thumb and first finger. Just be sure to grip slide firmly.  Type 4 malfunction clearing.  Ammo issue, but I've also seen it self induced when all one practices is tap rack bang.  When that isn't going far enough to clear a type 3 malfunction but they just keep doing it over and over under stress anyway hoping it works, they end up deforming the brass and it gets stuck.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:10:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
This was NOT a reload.  Very expensive specialty defensive ammo.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:12:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Where are the pictures?
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:13:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It happens even with a Glock.  Haven't met one yet that couldn't be cleared on the fly quickly by "mortaring" just by holding the slide firmly overhand ,like you're racking it, and slamming the backstrap with the web of your hand between thumb and first finger. Just be sure to grip slide firmly.  Type 4 malfunction clearing.  Ammo issue, but I've also seen it self induced when all one practices is tap rack bang.  When that isn't going far enough to clear a type 3 malfunction but they just keep doing it over and over under stress anyway hoping it works, they end up deforming the brass and it gets stuck.
View Quote
This stuck casing happened on the last round of a magazine.  I went to do a reload, not seeing the stuck casing because It was dark, and caused a double feed (I guess) on slide drop.  I may have inadvertently jammed the stuck casing in there even worse by doing that - but it was definitely jammed in there before I dropped the slide.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:16:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Where are the pictures?
View Quote
I apologize, I was messing with my imgur and something must have happened.  I can still see the pics.

Just picture a 9mm case jammed with about a quarter of the case sticking out of the chamber and that was the issue.

Just wondering, There is no way I could have damaged my crown poking it out with this chopstick right?
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:20:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Sounds like OAL fail.

Put it back on the frame and either put the slide in a vise and whack the shit outta the frame by hand or hammer or use the edge of a table on the rear sight or a corner of the muzzle end of the slidie.
View Quote
This is what I was thinking.  I ended up taking the barrel out of the gun by removing the slide plate and pushing the casing out the chamber end with a wooden spoon handle.   I am going to get in touch with the ammo company Mon.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:39:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Make sure there's not a piece of brass casé stuck in the chamber.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 12:05:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Make sure there's not a piece of brass casé stuck in the chamber.
View Quote
I just finished cleaning the barrel/chamber.  Nothing in there except for a little carbon and a few splintery pieces from the wooden spoon.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:45:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, there's your problem.

Also, none of your pictures work.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:02:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I kinda cringed at the words "specialty ammo" as well.

What brand/load are we talking about OP? (I can't see pics either)
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 7:19:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Then you might want to edit your OP.
Quoted:
....when I was trying to drop the slide on a reload.
Is the "Very expensive specialty defensive ammo" SAAMI spec?
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:18:45 PM EDT
[#24]
For future reference, a good way to remove a stuck partially chambered case is to hold the slide with an overhand (not slingshot) grip with your non-dominant hand, place your dominant hand in a firing position, then "punch" forward with the dominant hand on the grip of the handgun.  Just keep it in a safe direction and don't punch it out of your own grip.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 9:04:36 AM EDT
[#25]
ID this funky ammo.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:44:38 PM EDT
[#26]
So some "Gunsmithing" company changed pretty much everything on a Glock pistol except the serial number, OP tried shooting some nameless boutique ammo that may or may not be SAAMI spec, and some of you guys are blaming Glock for an unreliable pistol?
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 2:21:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So some "Gunsmithing" company changed pretty much everything on a Glock pistol except the serial number, OP tried shooting some nameless boutique ammo that may or may not be SAAMI spec, and some of you guys are blaming Glock for an unreliable pistol?
View Quote
Annnnnnd this thread is done...
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well that sums it up nicely.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 7:55:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Not that uncommon.  I'm too lazy to gauge my practice rounds and every once in a while I get a reload stuck in my 2011.  And they really fricking stick in their.  Have to use the methods above to clear it.  Usually by placing the end of the slide on edge of a wood bench and whacking the grip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top