Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2021 9:16:53 AM EDT
If I hold the gun level or downwards, the hammer won't cock.  If I point it up, it works fine.  The pawl is obviously the culprit.  

What should I be looking at closer?
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 1:54:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Cylinder base pin not properly seated which lets the stupid transfer bar hang up on the firing pin locking the gun.  When you point the gun up, the transfer bar falls to the rear and clears the firing pin.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 5:54:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cylinder base pin not properly seated which lets the stupid transfer bar hang up on the firing pin locking the gun.  When you point the gun up, the transfer bar falls to the rear and clears the firing pin.
View Quote

Yeah, this is the only thing I've found that prevents the Ruger SA's from cocking. Do you have the cylinder out, OP?
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 6:23:51 AM EDT
[#3]
One of the things that has me fixed on the pawl is it functions fine without the cylinder.  I.e. base pin installed, no cylinder.

Haven't had time to look, but I'm now real curious what the transfer bar is doing
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 4:54:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I have also seen a couple of base pins where the spring plunger at the end that keeps the transfer bar pushed out either comes out completely or gets damaged and no longer extends. Same result, can't cock the hammer.

Another potential, particularly if you have an OM BH floating around is getting the base pins swapped. The OM BH didn't have a plunger at all.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 8:31:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Not the base pin.  I had it all apart last night and back together, still no dice.

Something is chewing up the bottom tooth of the pawl.  I'm convinced that's where it is binding.  The cylinder latch does drop and works properly.

If I open the gate and park the cylinder between notches, the gun will cock.  If I start with the cylinder indexed, it will not cock.

Edit - for clarity, this did not randomly happen.  I changed frame, hammer, and trigger on this BH.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 6:50:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Well I feel like an asshole.

It was the plunger on the hammer.  I'm so used to colt single actions that I had tunnel vision.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 7:41:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Glad you got it figured out. Plunger as in it wasn't there?
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 8:27:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Glad you got it figured out. Plunger as in it wasn't there?
View Quote

Yup.

I switched frames between my single six and super BH.  I put a standard hammer (non-bisley) in the single six.  The standard hammer was brand new, never noticed the plunger wasn't installed.

Now what's still curious is that the pawl was chewed up pretty bad on the bottom tooth.  I threw in a new pawl, we'll see what happens.

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:38:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I can see how that would do it. I switched the stock hammer and a Super Blackhawk hammer back and forth a couple of times. Switching the plunger, spring, and pin back and forth is a pain.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top