Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/2/2021 2:36:25 PM EDT
I'm nearly 50 years old and have no desire for the "latest and greatest" handgun.

I feel perfectly fine with 1911, Browninng Hi Power, .38 snubbie, and Kahr 45.

The Kahr .45 came out in 2005, that's as "advanced" as I want to go.

What about you guys?

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:05:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes and no.  I'm 51, and my daily carry piece is a S&W 640 J-frame, in .357.  But it has a laser grip, night sight front, and is ported, so it's a nice package.

Main thing is to have a gun.  Can't stress that enough.  Then it's a matter of being good with it.   The rest is gravy on the side.

That said, you don't want to be an old Fudd who looks down on anything that isn't cap and ball or such.  Lots of great stuff out there now, with small frame 9mm that have lots of rounds on them, and nice red dots for us with old and tired eyes.  

The wise man neither says "Yuck, that's an ancient wheel gun, what can you do with that", nor says "the 1911 is all you ever need, don't know why they came out with the A1 model".
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:43:07 PM EDT
[#2]
57 myself, and even tho I greatly prefer OWB holsters I spotted a N8 Tactical IWB holster on Crossbreed Seconds website brand new for $23 shipped.  I haven't found the blemish either.

Anyway, it allows me to carry my P239 (.357sig) in shorter cover garment s like a pullover sweatshirt.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:06:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought I was.

Then I switched from G19 to M&P 2.0 compact.

Same size, just felt better and shot better.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 6:55:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Not necessarily gun-wise, but definitely carry/holster-wise. I like hybrid holsters and Raven legacy-style mag carriers, nothing else.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 7:45:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Was for years.

Got my Colt 1911 and didn't need anything else.  Started looking for something with more capacity and bought a 9MM Browning.  Didn't care for the decockers or the group size.  Then a Glock.  Same issues.  Then XDMs (2 of them), same issues.  Then M&Ps, bought safety models but groups and reliability issues moved me on down the road.  Then along came a CZ P07 .40 and I'm still carrying it right at 10 years later.

In that time I've bought several more CZs.  All of them allow the locked/cocked carry I grew used to with the 1911.  Not all of them are quite as accurate as the P07.  One are two are just as accurate if not more so.

I keep on buying non-CZ pistols, too.  However, most of them don't offer the accuracy of the CZ pistols and I've spent a lot of money on triggers, barrels, sights, etc. trying to improve them, with no luck.

Same story with AR15's.  Trained with them in the US Army.  Got an M14 in my hands and had no further need/desire for an M16.  Wouldn't even look at them for almost 30 years.  Then I relented and bought an XM177 clone because it looked cool.  Shot it and found out some of those things did actually shoot good and were reliable.  Started building my own and still doing it years later.

Lawnmowers.  Never needed/wanted a zero turn.  Had a big riding mower and it worked just fine.  Then I bought a zero turn and damn, I've wasted a lot of time on a rider.  The zero turn cuts my seat time mowing grass more than 1/2.

Never needed/wanted a foreign car.  Big Chevy fan.  Issues with Chevys over the years moved me to try other brands.  Now we have three foreign made cars in the garage/carport (Asian and European).

Older I get, the more I think I'm learning and improving.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#6]
No. Sun tzu in the art of war even comments on the fact that just because a weapon has worked well for you, doesn’t mean there isn’t a better option and one would be wise to investigate.

I love 1911s. I shoot them well and enjoy every aspect of carrying them except the weight. I have lots of money tied in them, along with training and competition.

I carry a Sig 365xl with dot. More rounds in a smaller package. Red dot is faster than iron sights. I shoot it well enough and it gets carried constantly without as much consideration to the wardrobe. I can mount a light. If I could only keep one handgun it would honestly probably be a 365xl. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 1:24:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Mostly.

I have a 90's CZ and a newish VP9.

Most of my other guns have been around forever.

92FS
1911's
J Frames
N frame
K frame
And the token Glock

The Glock is really a product of the 80's and the VP9 is just a great shooter that works with any garbage ammo I've found.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 4:15:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Over 60, recently changed my entire EDC from pants, shirts, belt, flashlight, wallet, checkbook, schedule, cell phone, folding knife, fixed blade knife, neomag, pistol, holster; and added sling pack with tourniquet, bandages, multitool with bit kit, extra batteries and charger for phone and flashlight.

But some things don't change - still carry strong side IWB, have a large folder, carry extra mag, firearm of course, have a powerful flashlight, carry cash and id in two places (wallet and checkbook), some even went backwards carrying a scheduler.

Was just time for a change for me, as I knew well what was a pain or didn't quite work as well as I would like and what was older and worn and that I would change new. Carried a Kimber Combat Carry 1911 in 45 and a Glock 19 - but after 15 years and shooting a Glock 43x and discovering Shield Arms 15 round mags it was the catalyst to decide to make changes.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 6:45:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Started out carrying a Gen 3 9mm Glock.  Now 20 years later I'm still carrying a Gen 3 9mm Glock.

But then it was a G26 IWB at 4 o'clock and just had night sights.  Now it's a G17 AIWB and has an optic, light, and magwell.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 11:45:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I have 1911's and Glocks. I don't really have a need for anything else.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 12:15:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm almost 70 and carry a S&W M&P 9MM all the time EXCEPT when I'm home on the range and then I strap on my Gov Model 1911. It's old and has been a good friend since 1975. Hopping on the tractor with a .45 just works for me. Copperheads hate me. I can hit a coyote at 50 yards. I carry an extra mag. Boxerdog approves. I just love being retired.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 12:31:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Thought I was for a long time. Carried a 1911 with 2 spare mags in an El Paso Saddlery double mag carrier. Over the years I as things got worse I began to feel under gunned so to speak.  Last fall I picked up an M&P 9 compact. Comes with 2 mags and I bought an extra mag so I’ll have the same carry set up just with more rounds.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:12:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Until it doesn't work for me, I'm good. Same gun & holster since 2010.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 10:03:35 AM EDT
[#14]
I’ve settled on a set of carry weapons that work for me and that I trust. While there is a wonderful selection of excellent pistols out there I can’t convince myself to change. A 1911 and BHP are my primary rotation with either a smith 442 or small 380 for when I (rarely) can’t comfortably conceal the bigger guns.  Guess that makes me set in my ways.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 7:53:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Old guy here. I used to be rather set in my ways, carried a Kahr MK9 exclusively for years, got the itch for other carry guns and went through a bunch. Still have a lot of those, but have been considering settling down to just a couple for everyday carry.

But then again I may not............
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:18:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Sort of. I refuse to consider a gun with a thumb safety for a carry gun. I don't train to de activate the safety on the draw, and it's my preference to have no thumb safety on my carry gun.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:43:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Somewhat set in my ways. I prefer kydex holster IWB. I also prefer a 9mm. I have and do occasionally carry something other than 9mm, but it is very rare
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:49:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm always looking for better ways to kill people (or solve other problems) but in what I do routinely I am fairly consistent.

Training works like that.

RDS on handguns is the future.

Oh, and I want to try an F90 bullpup from Australia (which of course isn't a handgun but whatever).
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:56:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I carry a semi, but I prefer revolvers.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:51:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I’m 40.

I started CCW with a Glock 23.  

Moved on to a 19, then a 17 chopped for 19 mags, carried a J-frame, a Glock 26 too.

The Glock 43 replaced my J frame, chopped 17 Gen5 replaced my Gen4 that replaced the Gen3.  Added a Glock 48 for the in-between times.

I still shoot a 6920, same as 20 years ago, but it has an VLTOR A5, Geissele MK14, Aimpoint Comp M5 at 1.93”.

Things are always moving.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 12:32:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Glocks and 1911s unless something truly groundbreaking comes out.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 10:55:12 PM EDT
[#22]
48... the last 25 or so in law enforcement with a large agency.

Always loved the 1911 and I own several all with custom work from Nighthawk, Wilson, Sokol or Saltzman...

Shoot them well in classes and competition over the years.

For most any purpose on and off duty I prefer the Glock.

I spend the bulk of my time training with a one of a dozen Glocks either with or without a RMR

The technology makes it a better choice for a fighting gun.

These days I save the 1911s for when my day’s tasks has me less likely to need a gun... but I always have one.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 1:41:55 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm over 50 and really like 1911s.  But for CCW, I EDC a Glock 19 with RMR and X300U-A.

In the same manner I like the M1A and older bolt action setups.  But my go to long guns are an AR15, an AR10, and an MRAD.  Old School but able to roll with the latest & greatest.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 2:21:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Are you set in your ways?
View Quote

No, and you can't convince me otherwise.
I'm nearly 50 years old and have no desire for the "latest and greatest" handgun.
View Quote

Getting the latest and greatest is a good way to go broke quickly, and end up with lots of products you're unhappy with.

I love shiny new toys, but they're (usually) not free.  With a little bit of patience, you can usually get better toys, for a fraction the cost.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 2:27:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Yes
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 10:32:06 PM EDT
[#26]
I tried to go to a 1911 after shooting only striker fired pistols for years. I like the quality and accuracy of the 1911 but I'd have to change things on the gun to make it work for my shooting style and I just don't want to do that.

I've experimented a lot with various shotguns for hunting and clays and always go back to Benelli because they just work from me and they feel like an extension of my hand.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 1:58:36 PM EDT
[#27]
After a while you notice you've been carrying a gun a long time, and your job doesn't require you to shoot people, and you haven't managed in all these years/decades to need to shoot anybody. At that point, do you really need slightly better tools (in very specific circumstances) for the gunfights you never actually get into? Maybe so. Maybe you've been carrying a rusty lorcin, or you just moved from an area where most violence involves being kicked by a horse or dairy cow and into Oakland. Maybe you just want to trade up to a nicer gun because you're making decent money now and can upgrade from a hipoint.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Its not the arrow.

Its the Indian.

Are we still allowed to say that?

.380 Autos were not nearly as small and reliable when I was buying .380's in the 70's.
I carry a little .380 BodyGuard in the watch pocket of my old-man jeans. Love it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:37:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Yes, been carrying an HK USP 9 with 3 extra mags, knife and light since 2008.

Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:06:18 AM EDT
[#30]
No, innovation is awesome.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 12:09:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What about you guys?

View Quote

Eh yes and no.  

I started in LE in the late 90s during the Glock craze.  I love other stuff but my career has been spent with Glock.

They just work.  I am in the process of making nearly everything Gen 5 Glock 9mm

I have a nice collection of 1911s and revolvers and Sigs but the Glocks see the most daylight.
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 1:53:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
After a while you notice you've been carrying a gun a long time, and your job doesn't require you to shoot people, and you haven't managed in all these years/decades to need to shoot anybody. At that point, do you really need slightly better tools (in very specific circumstances) for the gunfights you never actually get into? Maybe so. Maybe you've been carrying a rusty lorcin, or you just moved from an area where most violence involves being kicked by a horse or dairy cow and into Oakland. Maybe you just want to trade up to a nicer gun because you're making decent money now and can upgrade from a hipoint.
View Quote

It's funny because I've never heard of anyone conceal carrying a Hipoint.
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 1:53:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Its not the arrow.

Its the Indian.

Are we still allowed to say that?

.380 Autos were not nearly as small and reliable when I was buying .380's in the 70's.
I carry a little .380 BodyGuard in the watch pocket of my old-man jeans. Love it.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 6:53:15 AM EDT
[#34]
I can be "set in my ways" right up to the point where I'm not.

I carried a 1911 for a couple decades (maybe a little longer) absolutely convinced that Colt would do what I needed it to do.  

Then I went through a few years of disappointment trying to find a plastic framed striker fired gun that would meet the standards the 1911 had met over the years.  Lots of disappointment spread over different brands/calibers.

Then I bought a P07 .40 and it has been my concealed carry pistol for about 10 years now.

So yeah, I changed.  Kept looking for something else that would match the P07/CZ pistols and wasted more money.
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 8:09:00 AM EDT
[#35]
I've been known to rock M14, FAL, M79,M2, M1919, M1911A1s and that very old Gatling gun with the electric motor (First done in 1896) in combat zones.

Most new things aren't really new at all.  Just borrowed designs in a new shell.

CD
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 10:35:43 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm 73, just had cataract surgery and what an improvement... if you start having vision problems don't put it off... very dense cataract makes the surgery a little more difficult... been shooting gun games since 1980,  and USPSA since 1983, USPSA pistol for first 25 years was a 1911 in .45 with variety of parts breakage... stayed with the excellent accuracy and trigger until a link broke at Ft Benning 3 gun in 2005... changed to Glock format and since then no mechanical breaks... retired in 2009 and carried daily since then.... hot semi tropical Florida... currently a G43x IWB with a nylon flats fishing shirt as cover up daily carry

I have changed my perception of carry options over the years, but believe that I have a pretty good basis for comparison (easily over 400K rounds)... I have a very low perception of threat but still don't sit with my back to the door... the G43x is fitted with Dawson Precision tritium front black rear...
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 11:21:50 PM EDT
[#37]
49 with 25+ in big city law enforcement

I refuse to be one of “those guys” bragging about what I use to be.

Weights and run 5-6 days a week, shoot every week, run drills with my buddy (late 30s with 15 years in SF) on weekends

Glocks with optics and lights, 14” Benelli M4 or 12” AR with Surefire can and T2 for work.

Small team tracking and apprehending the most serious guys.

I’m very fortunate to have the perfect job that highlights my strengths and some of the very best guys surrounding me.

Age is a mindset and though I might lose a step over time I still work hard to stay sharp.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 8:57:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Kind of. A full size 45ACP 1911 was my sole carry gun for many years. Still have it. My favorite gun overall and best shooter in a handgun.

I tried a compact, alloy 9mm 1911 for a while. It only carried marginally better so I recently sold it.

My first polymer framed gun was a VP9. It's a great shooter, but a little tough to carry and kinda boring. I never really got all that into it and recently sold that.

I had a 649 in 357. The damn thing is a flash bang going off, though it wasn't too bad control wise. Sold that. I rarely if ever carried it around.

Had a 2-3/4" 66-9 Combat Magnum. Tried to love it, but it was so heavy for a relatively compact gun. Sold it off recently. Amazing shooter.

Still only have a couple of Airweight J frames for pocket/backup guns. They're fun to shoot and are extremely accurate little things.

Kept a P80 Glock build. That is my funnest handgun to shoot. The frame is the equivalent of a high rise beaver tail grip safety on a 1911. I didn't feel like hacking up a factory Glock. It's all Glock save for the frame and sights. I appreciate the relative simplicity of that pistol.

After feeling some nostalgia I bought a used 92FS Centurion some years ago. A little thick to tote around, but what an incredible shooter. That's a keeper.

For a big bore I have S&W 22-4. It's a tapered barrel 45ACP N frame that weighs about the same as a K or L Magnum yet balances and carries better.

Recently purchased a Charter Arms "Boxer"...an alloy six shot 38 Special. It shot so low that I sent it back a month ago. Still there. Like the gun. Hopefully I'll get it back soon. That's to be my hiking gun.

I'm not into these tiny 9mm's. The 43x is probably the best of 'em. I just don't need one.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 11:08:28 AM EDT
[#39]
A bit. I'm older than most on here, but I am open to new suggestions, no guarantee I will follow them. Not really interested in the micro nines, kind of stuck on guns that are outmoded and discontinued. Did buy a Glock 48 to carry this summer while in Florida.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 5:31:32 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm coming up on the half-century mark, but don't think I'm set in my ways.  I keep going back to the 1911 since I bought my first in 1984 and have been carrying one (off and on) since 1992.  However, I own plenty of polymer and actually find myself carrying plastic more.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 2:54:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

What about you guys?

View Quote

yes i'm pretty much set because i've researched all that's out there and decided what's best for me. and what's best for me happens to be something invented a century ago, ie 1911 style form factor with thumb safety. all my guns come in this configuration i do not purchase guns that do not come like this. you might want to pick up an m&p 2.0 fde with thumb safety if you enjoy this form factor. it's better than the kahr with modern 9mm loads, it's just as good as the 45 with less kick. the m&p 2.0 also comes in 45 and now the 10mm

the m&p 2.0 fde with thumb safety is the best looking handgun since the 1911

i avoid glock for principle reasons. i don't agree with mr gasstain glock on how he handled businesses and convinced many people that the safe action was superior to a manual safety or active safety like a double action or a grip safety. i don't like his "cost saving" ways that ultimately led to many incidents of kabooms, glock legs, and appen"dicks" incidences
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 3:06:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

i would not carry for lifestyle or hobby, gun collectors and enthusiasts buying many guns is understandable to me if they have the finances they should spend it on what they enjoy, however i prefer to have a couple of solid reliable platforms for emergency purposes only. just like a fire extinguisher or any other form of insurance policy.

reality hit for a lot of people during the pandemic and race baiting induced rioting and looting across the nation in the early to mid 2020s, they suddenly realized they might need to defend themselves against marauders and that the government actually does not care much about them and will release violent felons for no reason other than to gain democrat votes. that was an eye opener and so i think maybe a decade ago it wasn't necessary, but in today's climate and completely subversion of civic obligation among many in the establishment, it's essential to have.

i think soon it will get so bad that many people will cross the rubicon so to speak, between the line of legally justified shooting into full blown vigilantism, ie shoot a looter or rioter, but don't notify police, just let the corpse molder and let street justice reign. our society is in an extremely precarious position.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 3:59:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Thought more about this after posting the other night ...

I have a tendency to venture out into various carry guns but always come back to the 1911 and Glock eventually.  This last round of 1911 love hit hard with several Les Baers, Wilsons, and Nighthawks.  I sold them all.  I wouldn't mind having ONE really nice 1911 just because it was the first handgun I owned and I've had this "on again off again" romance with them for the past 38 years. However, I don't really see getting back into carrying them.  Frankly, polymer guns carry better.  

Right now I'm rotating through several carry guns ...

Glock 19.5 MOS with RMRcc & TLR-7A
Glock 26.5 Battlewerx with RMRcc
HK45C
Smith & Wesson M&P40 with TLR-7A

I have several of my M&P guns on the Exchange, but have two 40SW that I won't sell (until I run out of 40SW ammo).  

At the end of the day, if I had to chose one handgun it would probably be the Glock 19 or HK45C.

Summary ... I am set in my ways in that I keep changing my mind on what to carry but always end up back at the same two designs.

ETA: I've had my carry license since 1992.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:04:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Thought more about this after posting the other night ...

I have a tendency to venture out into various carry guns but always come back to the 1911 and Glock eventually.  This last round of 1911 love hit hard with several Les Baers, Wilsons, and Nighthawks.  I sold them all.  I wouldn't mind having ONE really nice 1911 just because it was the first handgun I owned and I've had this "on again off again" romance with them for the past 38 years. However, I don't really see getting back into carrying them.  Frankly, polymer guns carry better.  

Right now I'm rotating through several carry guns ...

Glock 19.5 MOS with RMRcc & TLR-7A
Glock 26.5 Battlewerx with RMRcc
HK45C
Smith & Wesson M&P40 with TLR-7A

I have several of my M&P guns on the Exchange, but have two 40SW that I won't sell (until I run out of 40SW ammo).  

At the end of the day, if I had to chose one handgun it would probably be the Glock 19 or HK45C.

Summary ... I am set in my ways in that I keep changing my mind on what to carry but always end up back at the same two designs.

ETA: I've had my carry license since 1992.
View Quote
I have a love hate relationship with the 1911. Like you, I'm a Glock and 1911 guy. I sell all my 1911's rationalizing it in various ways and then I buy more. Right now, I've whittled it down to two specific 1911's. I bought a couple of new Springfield Milspecs and I am setting them up with certain parts based on personal preferences. I fitted some of the parts myself and had reputable smiths do the rest. I don't see myself selling them as they are exactly what I want and I'd never be able to sell them for what I have in them.

I have one completed and I have all the parts for the second.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/1/2021 12:52:58 PM EDT
[#45]
You must be my twin as I also carry a full size 1911 IWB in the winter and a 43x IWB in the summer.  I'm 75 and can afford a Wilson Combat 1911 so that is what I carry.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 3:43:49 PM EDT
[#46]
protip: find a reliable gun that has good reviews and fits your lifestyle, safety, and looks requirement, then make a decision to stick with it. because every time you go train something else or rotate it out, you're losing valuable training and learning for that particular gun and siphoning it away to something that you might sell 5 months down the line.

i understand that it might be part of the process of finding your best option, but i would suggest research and reviews, plus gun rentals and borrowing guns will make that process completely redundant.

i have ran an m&p 2.0 fde with thumb safety for almost 2 years and i'm not going to change it out for something or to try something different. the only exception might be if they come out with the m&p 3.0 and there's major difference, and only if there's no option to upgrade just the parts.

like mas ayoob, ken hackathorn, bill wilson, larry vickers, i'm going to stick with what i know. and what i know is something i can run in my sleep, blindfolded, while making headshots at 10 yards. and most importantly, it looks good, i want to hold it, look at it, and train with it because it makes me feel good. if i don't have that kind of relationship with a gun, it's just not going to work. end of story
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 3:47:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Yes.

Next.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 3:49:18 PM EDT
[#48]
I have the full range of traditional options, but to be honest, the Sig365 makes everything else obsolete with regards to every day CCW.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 3:57:41 PM EDT
[#49]

didn't know sig made hi point clones

meanwhile the perfect gun doesn't exis....

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top