Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2020 1:44:53 PM EDT
I got my Tulster Oath last night. I didn’t really look it over, just opened the package this morning and put it on. Glock 19, RMR, no light. The belt clip is the most aggressive one I’ve ever dealt with. It’s made of spring metal and has a hook on the bottom, it’s actually difficult to remove from your belt. Thus far I’ve had it on for 5 hours and no real complaints comfort or retention wise. Bear in mind I’ve driven 40 minutes to work, and been working on machines for 4 hours. No comment on trying to pee pee with this yet. Holster is good to go so far.

My only issue is with appendix carry objectively, you have a gun pointed at your body. From a philosophical standpoint, this style of carry should not even be considered as it breaks the first rule of safe firearm handling. It’s quite bothersome to me.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as your safety concerns go I have showed this video from Lucky Gunner to a few friends who frowned on my adoption of AIWB while trying to explain the reasoning behind my decision (I'm about 70/30 AIWB/strong-side IWB now). Is Appendix Carry Safe?  They have a number of other AIWB related videos in their library, you can find more of them HERE.

I also use an SCD and I think it's a great option if you carry a Glock (video review).  It basically allows you to mimic pinning the hammer on a DA gun when re-holstering.

What I would really recommend is taking an AIWB specific class from a known good instructor.  I started carrying AIWB off and on a couple of years ago and gradually started utilizing it more and more.  Ultimately my comfort level with AIWB (especially re-holstering) increased noticeably after taking a class with Spencer Keepers.  I was lucky enough that he offered two classes a little over an hour from where I live last year and I took them both.  Prior to the classes I would only re-holster with the holster removed from my belt.  After practicing the technique from the video above under his guidance over two days I got a lot more comfortable.

Have fun with the process of figuring out what works for you!
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 6:12:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Plus 1 on the SCD.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 8:59:30 AM EDT
[#3]
SCD and night sights are all I do to my Glocks now internally. Went from Gucci Glocks to plain Jane Glocks and have been through the ringer in aftermarket in the past. After all the experiences (not any bad ones necessarily) and rounds down range, I have come full circle in realizing they shoot just fine without all the Gucci parts. The SCD however is a recent purchase that i have come to appreciate a lot. I plan to put them on all three of my carry guns in the rotation. It does add a level of comfort when carrying AIWB. That said, I have been carrying AIWB for years without one and without issue. Great part.

A quality full kydex holster with quality belt clips and a solid belt go a long way.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 9:14:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
...this style of carry should not even be considered as it breaks the first rule of safe firearm handling.
View Quote

I'm glad you mention the distinction- the 'four rules' are rules for safe firearm handling.  You missed it when you applied them to a holstered gun though.

As long as the holster protects the trigger, and you holster the pistol before you put the assembly on your belt, you should be good to go.

I carry IWB only about 2% of my EDC wear; it's just not for me in most situations.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 10:29:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Glad to hear you are liking the Tulster. This video just came out. may help give you peace of mind.

Link Posted: 11/13/2020 12:50:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm glad you mention the distinction- the 'four rules' are rules for safe firearm handling.  You missed it when you applied them to a holstered gun though.

As long as the holster protects the trigger, and you holster the pistol before you put the assembly on your belt, you should be good to go.

I carry IWB only about 2% of my EDC wear; it's just not for me in most situations.
View Quote

You make a very good point, many people miss the distinction.

Link Posted: 11/13/2020 12:55:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Appendix is as safe as you make it.  Plus with modern firearms like glock, it's not like it's going off in the holster unless your firing pin block is fucked.

Just don't fuck around with reholstering.  Take holster off first, or be careful about obstructions like clothes that could snag trigger upon inserting.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 3:01:00 AM EDT
[#8]
IMHO, appendix CAN very well be done completely safely.  It also offers real benefits from a retention and speed standpoint.  

However.  You'll note that virtually every appendix carry conversation revolves around: "well, just as long as you are very careful when you re-holster, LOOK it into the holster, go slowly, AND push your pelvis out".  

If you have to lay out a list of important caveats to justify something, maybe you're putting the desire ahead of the risk.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 9:06:16 AM EDT
[#9]
@turbomunkey  Any updates?  Is it still working for you?  The clips is a DDC one.  If you want something more comfy maybe try a phlster pro with the rounded bottom.  I just got one to play with & I can wear it all day while I work (from home).
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 4:18:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
IMHO, appendix CAN very well be done completely safely.  It also offers real benefits from a retention and speed standpoint.  

However.  You'll note that virtually every appendix carry conversation revolves around: "well, just as long as you are very careful when you re-holster, LOOK it into the holster, go slowly, AND push your pelvis out".  

If you have to lay out a list of important caveats to justify something, maybe you're putting the desire ahead of the risk.
View Quote

I saw a guy shoot himself in the back of his calf reholstering strong side OWB.  Not nearly as life threatening as AIWB, but shit happens.  Guns are dangerous.  Handle them accordingly.  

I'm a big fan of AIWB, been doing it since '07.  It's many times the only way I can comfortably carry due to sciatica.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 10:45:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
For those of us that seldom IWB carry, what is the speed advantage and when is it realized?  I carry OWB strong-side or cross-draw, and can draw with one hand in either ideal circumstances (I have both hands free) or under less than ideal circumstances (left hand is holding something).  

IWB seems like you would need two hands to draw with any speed; one to pull up your concealing garment, and one to yank out the gun.  But even under ideal circumstances (both hands free) I don't see how that's faster than strong-side OWB.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 11:07:15 AM EDT
[#12]
For those carrying Glocks and use an AIWB holster (me), the Tau Development Group SCD really is a nice add-on. I just recently made the move to putting one on all three of the Glocks I rotate between. Now, I have been carrying Glocks in this fashion for a while now and did not have the need for the SCD back then nor do I  have one now, but after giving one a shot, it is really is convenient and reassuring to me. I like it. When re-holstering in general, I always put my thumb on the slide's back plate. Now that same action is a functional aid in providing one additional layer of safety when re-holstering.

I always appreciated DA/SA pistols/revolvers where you can place your thumb behind the hammer when re-holstering. The Walther P99AS had a firing pin that could be felt from the hole in its back plate if the trigger was unintentionally being actuated. Unfortunately for me, I have small hands and have trouble confidently reaching the DA trigger of these fine pistols, especially with gloves on during the winter.

With the Glock and SCD I get the exact feature I appreciated from the DA/SA pistols, but with a consistent trigger pull.

I went from carrying at the 4 to AIWBing and I do not see myself going back. AIWB really shines in the car or when sitting. I also find it easier to inconspicuously draw than when trying to do the same using the 4.

To each their own, just keep on carrying regardless, and with one in the chamber.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top