Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 10/26/2020 7:47:42 PM EDT
Ive carried strong side OWB for years and years. I guess Im lucky that I live in a climate that lets me wear clothing that can hide it as well as a state that doesn't care about open carry.

But man, Ive tried a few different appendix holsters for my glock 19, 26 and 36. I just cant understand what Im doing wrong.
You cant sit in a car with it on, you notice it CONSTANTLY, and its just plain uncomfortable.
What the hell am I doing wrong?

T-rex arms, Bladetech, Tulstar, and a few others..Im 6ft 200lbs... Im not a fatty so dont go there...
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 7:54:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't point a loaded gun at yer pecker.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 8:00:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I wear a Cross Breed and my son uses an Alien Gear.  Took a couple of days to get use to them, but we don't notice when we carry now.

Had to fiddle about at locating that perfect spot on the belt for a while.  Hope you find yours.

Link Posted: 10/26/2020 8:02:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I personally have an issue when a loaded gun is potentially pointed at me under any circumstances.  I always carry strong side IWB and OWB.  Even when IWB, I feel like the muzzle direction is still relatively safe.  Appendix carry??   I do not like the idea of loaded gun pointing at my groin, femoral artery. That's just me.

That being said, my wife and are I playing around with belly band concept for running.  I would use a kydex insert to cover trigger guard and still try not to aim it at my junk.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 8:04:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Not every style of carry works for everyone.

I hate hate hate strong side carry for ccw.  Appendix is where it's at for me.

But that doesnt mean it will work for you.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 8:18:43 PM EDT
[#5]
FPNI
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 8:20:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Why not try an appendix holster from an appendix holster maker? JM Custom Kydex, Dark Star Gear, Keepers Concealment, Custom Carry Concepts. Everyone makes an AIWB now because of the popularity, they are not created equal.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 8:21:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Back in the day we called it castration carry.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 8:46:44 PM EDT
[#8]
For me, it's dependent on what I'm carrying - as well as what I'm wearing.

I tried appendix carry several months ago and came to love it with my P938, but I absolutely hate it with anything bigger.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 9:10:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why not try an appendix holster from an appendix holster maker? JM Custom Kydex, Dark Star Gear, Keepers Concealment, Custom Carry Concepts. Everyone makes an AIWB now because of the popularity, they are not created equal.
View Quote

I would say T-rex is one of the better companies out there but I do agree that some of the others might be bandwagon jumpers.
But Im thinking it might be as posted above, appendix is just not for me, no matter if I buy a hundred dollar holster or not, just too darn uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 9:16:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Probably the most body dependent method of carry. I’m 5’10, 170, short torso, and no ass at all. None, zero. Carrying a g26 in a VMII at 4:30 will sag my jeans like a hood rat. I can carry a full steel 1911 AIWB at 12:30 all day. Those holsters I mentioned do make a difference.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 9:24:38 PM EDT
[#11]
What part of Idaho do you live in?

I’m in the IF area. I just got a Tier 1 Concealed holster for my 19x and I love it.

I have been carrying AIWB for several years and this is hands down the best I’ve tried. If you’re close by you’re welcome to try it out.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 9:35:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't personally LIKE AIWB but I'm 6', 165 pounds and I just don't feel comfortable carrying at my preferred 8 o'clock (lefty) when I'm just wearing a t-shirt. The gun stays hidden when I'm standing straight but any forward bend at the waist and even the relatively short grip of my Shield starts to print hard.

AIWB gives me the most secure feeling that I can keep the gun hidden and I acclimated to it enough over time to the point where it only really bothers me at all after an extended period sitting in the car. even then I usually just slide the holster around to 8'oclock until I have to get out.

I'm jealous of people that can carry strong side OWB or even IWB in the summer months.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 9:42:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 9:43:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Google "shot self in groin", read a few of the articles, and ask yourself how that happens so often.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 10:02:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Im not carrying a striker fired cocked gun pointing at my femoral ever.
A DA/SA gun, sure.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 10:12:44 PM EDT
[#16]
OWB Crossdraw for me. Wear it loose like AIWB and its more comfy when you sit.  If you are slightly printing from your perspective then no one else likely notices.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 10:25:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I would say T-rex is one of the better companies out there but I do agree that some of the others might be bandwagon jumpers.
But Im thinking it might be as posted above, appendix is just not for me, no matter if I buy a hundred dollar holster or not, just too darn uncomfortable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would say T-Rex holsters are on the sucky side.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 10:40:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I carried IWB 4:00 for many years, always seemed to work. I tried AIWB with the wrong holsters and I hated it. I took my Vedder Light Tuck and remolded it from a G43 to a P365 and it worked, but when I would sit down the grip would tilt forward. I then did my research and ordered a JM Custom Kydex "Wing 2.5" AIWB holster. And with emailing Tony whom I asked for his recommendations, ordered it with "Pull the Dot" loops set "Wide". I then took a 2" x 4" piece of soft Velcro and put it on the back. I should have ordered the small wedge.

Tony also said to get the XL or "Long" version as it would not tilt out like shorter ones do, he was right. I can wear this holster for hours and even drive my vehicles with no problem. I recently tried 4:00 IWB and it felt like it was pulling my pants down. I have a Nexbelt EDC ratcheting belt which is perfect. When I sit down I just hit the button and it loosens up, slide it together and it easily tightens. I did install a manual safety on my P365X. This setup just works for me, others may find it wrong. I am 6' 187lbs and it prints less than any other method that I have tried. Plus, most people aren't looking at your crotch to even notice'
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 1:24:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Pants are too tight to hold you and the gun at the same time? An extra inch or two in the waistband makes appendix less painful.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 2:20:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Huckleberry tactical holster.

Blue alpha belt.

I'm 6' 250 and am fat.

This rig with a sig 320rx is comfy for me and i had about given up on appendix.

Forget the sidecar holsters and keep the spare mag somewhere else.

Link Posted: 10/27/2020 2:26:30 AM EDT
[#21]
I'd love to carry AIWB it's just not comfortable for me.

didn't work for me as a skinny dude, it definitely won't work for me 30 pounds heavier
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 1:25:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Don’t google “Shot self in groin”.

It later emerged that the bullet penetrated the man's groin in a through-and-through wound.

He's now recovering in hospital where he is said to be in a stable condition.

It could have been worse. Since 2010, an estimated eight men in the United States have shot their penises off in gun-related accidents.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Don’t google “Shot self in groin”.

It later emerged that the bullet penetrated the man's groin in a through-and-through wound.

He's now recovering in hospital where he is said to be in a stable condition.

It could have been worse. Since 2010, an estimated eight men in the United States have shot their penises off in gun-related accidents.
View Quote

Now look up "glock leg" and see how many instances.

Link Posted: 10/27/2020 4:03:33 PM EDT
[#24]
AIWB is faster and more comfortable to draw, at least in my experience. It also doesn't print at all if you are reasonably lean. So I totally get it. That said, I'm not a fan. Were it a hammer or DA/SA pistol, maybe. But a striker gun pointed directly into my pelvis? No thanks.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 9:20:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Then think about carrying a Glock appendix.  What could go wrong?
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 9:52:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
AIWB is faster and more comfortable to draw, at least in my experience. It also doesn't print at all if you are reasonably lean. So I totally get it. That said, I'm not a fan. Were it a hammer or DA/SA pistol, maybe. But a striker gun pointed directly into my pelvis? No thanks.
View Quote

I like that it's fast, not too showy (doesn't necessarily look like you're going for a gun) and you can always glance down to see if your gun is concealed or if your shirt/coat has ridden up over the grip.
Not very comfortable to carry though, even with a little j-frame.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 11:16:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Do whatever you want. I carried my G19 AIWB all day today in and out of the pickup, loading generators, unloading generators, wiring them up, etc. It hasn't spontaneously went off and killed me yet.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Depends how you wear your pants and your gut size.

If you wear your pants like a human, at your natural waist, and aren't a toothpick, you're bending over into a gun... it'll never be comfortable.

If you wear your pants up around your bellybutton or over your gut because you're fat like it's 1920, then it shouldn't bother you.

If you have a holster that puts the highest part of the gun at the belt line, deep concealment, it will probably work fine.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 4:44:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Do whatever you want. I carried my G19 AIWB all day today in and out of the pickup, loading generators, unloading generators, wiring them up, etc. It hasn't spontaneously went off and killed me yet.
View Quote

Agreed. Have carried a G26 and now a Shield AIWB. I trust the internal safetys not to allow the gun to fire.

You could make the case that a DA/SA is a little safer in terms of trigger discipline on the draw but that's a human issue, not a mechanical one.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 2:43:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You missed my point.  Glock leg was caused by human error.  Usually getting something foreign in the holster when reholstering.  I never holster my aiwb on me.  I put the gun in the holster and then put the holster on.  If i have to take it out for some reason i take the holster off to reholster.  Take human error out of the equation all you can and its pretty safe.

How often have you heard of any gun going of in any holster just being worn?

My 2 cents

Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:37:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The owner even tells customers that he's to busy training to make good holsters.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:43:45 AM EDT
[#32]
If you don't get it don't stress yourself out or anything.

Link Posted: 10/29/2020 1:32:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The owner even tells customers that he's to busy training to make good holsters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@redoubt99  As someone who just bought one (light bearing raptor) & is returning it; you can do better for a holster.  At this point in the holster search if the holster isn't DDC compatible I'm not buying it.  Any company that offers a plastic clip for belt attachment as a one size fits all solution is getting ignored.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 2:38:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  I just can't get comfortable knowing that there is a loaded pistol pointed in the general vicinity of my junk.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

@redoubt99  As someone who just bought one (light bearing raptor) & is returning it; you can do better for a holster.  At this point in the holster search if the holster isn't DDC compatible I'm not buying it.  Any company that offers a plastic clip for belt attachment as a one size fits all solution is getting ignored.
View Quote

Ive never tried their IWB or appendix holsters. But I do run a Light bearing Ragnarock with a ALS system and I absolutely LOVE IT.
THICK kydex, zero flex. Fits my 19x with light and RMR perfectly. Rides really nice on a battle belt. Never tried to wear it outside of 3 gun/training/classes but I love that holster.

Link Posted: 10/31/2020 10:57:03 AM EDT
[#36]
When I was not a complete fatso like I am now, appendix carry was great.  I kept a S&W 469 on me at all times that way and it was incredibly comfortable.  That was the 80's though, and everyone wanted to be Sonny Crockett.  Now I'm more Danny Devito.  

Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:48:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I carry AIWB all the time.

It’s not pointed at your dick so why do people keep repeating this nonsense?
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:50:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I personally have an issue when a loaded gun is potentially pointed at me under any circumstances.  I always carry strong side IWB and OWB.  Even when IWB, I feel like the muzzle direction is still relatively safe.  Appendix carry??   I do not like the idea of loaded gun pointing at my groin, femoral artery. That's just me.

That being said, my wife and are I playing around with belly band concept for running.  I would use a kydex insert to cover trigger guard and still try not to aim it at my junk.
View Quote

So let me see if I have this right:

You won’t carry in a ridged, kydex holster which covers the trigger group so it’s literally 100% safe in AIWB because you’re uncomfortable with the muzzle position....

... yet you WILL carry in a flexible, soft belly band which actually exposes more of your body to the muzzle?

Ok.  I won’t be taking advise from you
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:51:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Back in the day we called it castration carry.
View Quote

Eating lead paint chips used to be an issue “back in the day” as well.

Maybe the two are related?
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:52:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Google "shot self in groin", read a few of the articles, and ask yourself how that happens so often.
View Quote

How many of those are carrying in a high quality, ridged holster?
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 1:03:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

So let me see if I have this right:

You won’t carry in a ridged, kydex holster which covers the trigger group so it’s literally 100% safe in AIWB because you’re uncomfortable with the muzzle position....

... yet you WILL carry in a flexible, soft belly band which actually exposes more of your body to the muzzle?

Ok.  I won’t be taking advise from you
View Quote

It's a question of preference.

The belly band has a kydex holster so it is really just the same as carrying appendix style, just a bit higher up.  I am not entirely comfortable with the concept, but I am trying it out. Wife and I both do a lot of trail running and she also wears clothes that do not have a belt so need to look at options.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 1:05:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It's a question of preference.

The belly band has a kydex holster so it is really just the same as carrying appendix style, just a bit higher up.  I am not entirely comfortable with the concept, but I am trying it out. Wife and I both do a lot of trail running and she also wears clothes that do not have a belt so need to look at options.
View Quote

Belly bands suck no matter what you do with them.  It’s going to shift around a lot.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 1:17:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Belly bands suck no matter what you do with them.  It’s going to shift around a lot.
View Quote

If you can come up with a way to carry while running that does not involve a fanny pack or chest rig, I am happy to learn from you.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 7:38:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

^^ Yep.

Anybody carry IWB 6 o’clock? Rather blow half a butt cheek off vs the alternative.

Take the groin thing out of play for a sec, I can never seem to deal with appendix carry. I’ve tried multiple holsters and just can’t do it. Drives me bonkers.

6 o’clock IWB or strong side OWB if the weather allows for concealment.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 8:05:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why would appendix carry be more likely to have a gun unintentionally fire than any other carry method?
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:38:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

If you can come up with a way to carry while running that does not involve a fanny pack or chest rig, I am happy to learn from you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fanny pack is a very simple solution to running with a gun.
His & hers
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 11:04:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

^^ Yep.

Anybody carry IWB 6 o’clock? Rather blow half a butt cheek off vs the alternative.

Take the groin thing out of play for a sec, I can never seem to deal with appendix carry. I’ve tried multiple holsters and just can’t do it. Drives me bonkers.

6 o’clock IWB or strong side OWB if the weather allows for concealment.
View Quote

Because:
A) You’re not pointing a gun at your dick with AIWB

B) Carry in a high quality holster which covers the trigger group and look the gun into your holster like someone with at least a modicum of intelligence and there’s a zero percent chance of the gun just going off.

C) Take a fall on your back with a 6 o’clock holster and you’re risking a spinal injury.

Welcome to things we’ve known for decades.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 11:06:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Why would appendix carry be more likely to have a gun unintentionally fire than any other carry method?
View Quote

It doesn’t.

It’s just something that people with low resolution training and experience like to repeat because they think it makes them sound like an authority on the subject.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 8:34:40 PM EDT
[#50]
I tried a bunch of different carry positions, canted and uncanted, and one day a friend lent me his Dale Fricke Archangel appendix holster.  That was 10 years ago and I am still carrying appendix.

It may not be for everyone but try different holsters, positions, etc and it might work.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top