Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2021 10:57:50 PM EDT
https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-686?sku=11759

My revolver collection has a doughnut hole in the middle.

I have J-frames in 22 mag and .357, a CA Bulldog in .44, a 696 .44 Special, a 629 .44 Mag, and a Ruger Single 10 .22 single action.

About everything, except a medium frame. 357, 6 shot.

So I'm looking for a nice 686.  S&W came out with this Performance Center version a few years ago.  It sure looks cool anyway, with the Python-is vent rib, tall sights, extended cylinder release, etc.  Only thing I don't like about it is the unfluted cylinder, it just looks strange to me.  

Anyone own one?  Like it, don't like it?  I would assume the trigger and action are very nice - I bought a PC Model 60 about 5 years ago, and it's a great action.  

Recommend or not?  My Model 60 is great for me, so I don't care about the MIM parts, Hillary's snatch hole, etc, on the more recent guns.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:01:10 PM EDT
[#1]
The 5 inch version has a seven shot cylinder, the 4 inch only 6.  I’ve been very tempted to get one of the 5 inch guns.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:23:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting, didn't know that.  I'd still probably go with the 4" model, but something to ponder now.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:09:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Safariland speedloaders are available for the 6 shot.  HKS for both 6 & 7  
The non fluted cylinder doesn't bother me I'd love to have it. Carried a 586 on duty for years.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:21:12 PM EDT
[#4]
1stID: The Revolver you have listed #11759 is a 7 Shot PC wheel-gun that comes with three moon clips. I purchased one a few months back and will own it till I die, never trade or sell it as it is one of my favorite revolvers. I also have a 44 Mag from the performance center they both have excellent triggers! Got some J Frames too.
I was never a fan of moon clips or non fluted cylinders until I obtained the 357-686 Plus #11759. The moon clips are from TK Custom as well as the extended cylinder release and I purchased an additional ten pack. Mine is the 5 inch and is so accurate I shoot it always and with full power loads and it falls in between a 4 inch carry and 6 inch target which I think is perfect, for my taste cause I would carry it also-but I carry a 5 shot snub 357 and a 40.
I did change the orange fiber front site with the traditional DX style metal site that has a red insert and it takes only 8 seconds without tools to replace. Link below. The 4 inch barrel would be easier to find exact fit holsters for but I'm glad I have the 5 inch. I also had a hole in my collection, A 357 revolver that I liked and was accurate. Previously before it, I had purchased the 686 SSR (Standard Stock Revolver) and it was not very accurate and may be do to the fact that the barrel was shaved down on the sides and so I traded it in for a 10mm pistol. Very disappointed!  So I made up my mine to find a 586 6 shot non PC and even contemplated buying the new Colt Python also (that I always lusted over) and would pull 1.5K out of my butt for something great. But I'm glad I never found a 586 because non PC Smiths usually don't have as smooth triggers as PC’s, though I have never had a bad trigger on a J Frame, go figure. The #11759 Performance Center has a polished trigger and hammer also. I never look back an am totally satisfied. Don t hesitate if you find a #11759 PC 686 Plus it’s an excellent revolver and I highly recommend it, FYI I paid $920 for mine and was well worth it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:17:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the 686SSR. 4", 6 shot. My best .357.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:27:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the 2.5"

its a 7 shot.

I very much enjoy the trigger
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:36:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a similar version of that gun, the SSR PRO. It is a good gun and I have used it in IDPA competition.

With that being said, I would love to have an early 686 just as much.

If you want a 7 shot, you might was well get an 8 shot. An 8 shot 357 (627) can be had in the 4" Pro version or the 5" PC version. I love my 5".
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:15:05 AM EDT
[#8]
The 4 inch Perf Center 686 is a 6 shot gun, crazy I know but check the spec sheet. And you can see that it is indeed a six shot in some of the pics.  Makes no sense as the 2.5 and 5 inch PC 686's both have 7 shot cylinders.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:22:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Pro Series.   Very nice, probably the accurate revolver I own.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:05:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Had an SSR Pro.
Pretty decent but for whatever reason it never could reliably light off all primers (probably due to the lighter hammer spring).
Wasn't any more accurate than my old Model 15 with .38 specials and Model 27 with 357's.
Ugly Hillary Hole.
Shot out of time twice.
Sold it for more than I paid a while back.
Kinda regret it, but if I had a different choice I'd had probably gone back with a good old Ruger GP100.
Or maybe go crazy and get a Chiappa Rhino, hehe
It looked good tho (again except for the hole)
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:35:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the 4” 686SSR which unfortunately, has a Hillary hole.  But this version was sold way back when with forged, non-MIM hammer & trigger as a selling point.  It was a six shot, but I sent it back to S&W & they switched the cylinder & parts to the 686 Plus, or 7 shot.  I also have the parts to convert it back to 6 shot, but why bother? I don’t know if S&W still does this.  I tried to get them to switch a pinned barrel on one of my dad’s guns from 1970 & they said they don’t have people trained in the “older guns....”  My dad was hoping to invent a means of readily swapping S&W barrels from 6” to 4” or 2” for CCW, so be bought new, 1970s barrels that were never installed.

I said they sound like H&K...

I also sent the sights for tritium vials/white outline.  I removed the lock & stuck in a plug.  It’s a great gun—nice trigger & accurate.  A bit bigger than my Glock 43, but the weight makes it nice with full magnum loads.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top