Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2019 4:06:52 AM EDT
Is it a terrible idea to get a 10" .44 barrel and have it cut down and threaded? Has anyone done this?
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 12:17:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Is this for a revolver? And a suppressor. I’m under the impression that you can’t suppress a revolver.
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 1:24:37 PM EDT
[#2]
ajclune, this is the Desert Eagle forum.  So, I assume this question is about a Desert Eagle.

I am also interested in the answer here.  Being a locked breech firearm, you would think this would be desirable.  I would be willing to obtain a .44 10" barrel and try it myself, but it appears they are no longer available.
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 1:31:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jhereg] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ajclune:
Is this for a revolver? And a suppressor. I'm under the impression that you can't suppress a revolver.
View Quote
There are a few revolvers you can suppress.

Attachment Attached File

I remember reading about one made in the us for the military at some point also.
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 8:12:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GarrettJ] [#4]
Yeah, I did it 10 or so years ago. Yes, it’s a fixed barrel, so you don’t need a booster. Any size can will work on it. However, that alone doesn’t make for a “good” suppressor host (I assume that’s why you’re asking).

For starters, throwing a big subgun can on there results in a pistol that’s nearly 2 feet long and weighs more than an AR15.

I found I can get the gun to cycle if I use 300 grain bullets and a slow powder, like H110 or AA#9. Of course, slower powders are generally louder.

But what really does it is the gas system, which dumps a lot of gas when the gun cycles. It’s like suppressing an AK. It is  less loud than shooting unsuppressed, but still not what anyone would consider quiet.

And it tends to blow a fair amount of gas back in your face.

It’s fun for the novelty aspect. I would love to come up with a buttstock with a gas block built in. But don’t go in expecting Hollywood quiet.

Desert Eagle silencer supersonic vs. subsonic ammo
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 8:34:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Not a 44 but a 50 ae.  I took the long barrel and had it cut down.  Definitely takes the blast away but lots of gas in the face.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 8:35:06 AM EDT
[#6]
As hard to find and expensive as the 10 inch barrels are, I just could never bring myself to cut one up just to thread. The barrels are usually half or more of the cost of a whole used desert eagle.
I had a hard enough time getting my 10 inch 44 barrel, I could never cut it or modify it.

IF I was to ever even think about doing something like this, I would probably be more inclined to get a more common 6 inch barrel and counterbore it just enough to install a double ended threaded fitting into it. If one could even be properly be found/made. Just for a picture to look at for a rough representation of what I am talking about, look at the picture here Something like that but in the appropriate size and thread pitch.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 9:05:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Jeeps-And-Guns:
As hard to find and expensive as the 10 inch barrels are, I just could never bring myself to cut one up just to thread. The barrels are usually half or more of the cost of a whole used desert eagle.
I had a hard enough time getting my 10 inch 44 barrel, I could never cut it or modify it.

IF I was to ever even think about doing something like this, I would probably be more inclined to get a more common 6 inch barrel and counterbore it just enough to install a double ended threaded fitting into it. If one could even be properly be found/made. Just for a picture to look at for a rough representation of what I am talking about, look at the picture here Something like that but in the appropriate size and thread pitch.
View Quote
I thought that the Desert Eagle's gas system would get in the way.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 10:27:57 AM EDT
[#8]
As hard to find and expensive as the 10 inch barrels are, I just could never bring myself to cut one up just to thread.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
As hard to find and expensive as the 10 inch barrels are, I just could never bring myself to cut one up just to thread.
That wasn’t always the case. The 10” barrels used to be all over the place, as nobody seemed to want them. Now I’d kind of like one as well, but as you noted they only come up for sale occasionally, and command a premium when they do.

Originally Posted By Tolip:
I thought that the Desert Eagle's gas system would get in the way.
Here’s a picture of a cutaway I found once. Looks like there might be some room if you use a fine thread pitch. And the one in the picture is a .50, so the .44 should have a little more meat between the gas tube and there bore.

Link Posted: 7/30/2019 5:36:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Dear Lord
I didn’t ever think this was possible. A suppressed Desert Eagle. I’ve seen it all. I saw it in a video game one time and said “thats not even possible, you cant thread a desert eagle!” completely forgetting that you could cut a 10” barrel down and thread that. You guys are crazy if i could have a suppressor here in MA, id love one too! Now, do you think you could fit one of these into a 10” holster, or would it have to be custom-made leather to fit it? Im genuinely intrigued.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Hakim_Thumb:
Now, do you think you could fit one of these into a 10” holster, or would it have to be custom-made leather to fit it? Im genuinely intrigued.
View Quote
I don’t know about leather, but I made a spacer for a Hogue Powerspeed, and it seems to work pretty well.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top