Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2022 9:23:45 PM EDT
Love my 629 classic, but can't get over how the black "629 Classic" etching ruins the nice stainless. Anyone had any luck polishing it out?

Figured I'd ask before doing a crap job with the wrong materials and making it look worse.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 1:51:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I've seen some both S&W and Ruger that were professionally done and they looked great.  I've never seen a DIY version.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 11:13:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've seen some both S&W and Ruger that were professionally done and they looked great.  I've never seen a DIY version.
View Quote

Well, that tells me it's at least possible to do. Might not bother with it, just kicking around ideas for now.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 8:29:26 AM EDT
[#3]
As long as it's really "etching" and not engraving. It's just bare stainless, so depending on how deep it is, just keep polishing till it goes away. But polishing is one of those things that are simple but hard. Getting rid of the etching is the easy part. Making the end result match the surrounding brushed finish like nothing ever happened, that takes some skill and a bit of art. I imagine a place that does gun polishing and refinishing probably wouldn't charge that much to do it right.

But agreed OP, I always thought that etching looks cheap. Should have just been stamped in the barrel with the regular font like all their other guns.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 2:19:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I did it with my Rock Island armory nickel 1911, just used Flitz
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top