Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2019 9:43:54 AM EDT
I've been studying self defense ammo for months now, and I'm convinced that, if this stuff will function well in my pistols, it's the way to go. The price sucks, but, if my life is on the line, it's worth it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 9:55:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm using a similar load from Black Hills in .380.  Their Honey Badger load uses the 60gr Lehigh Extreme Defense bullet.  I carry them in a Ruger LCP.

The gel tests are impressive and swayed me towards them over other loads.

FWIW, I use Hornady Critical Duty 135gr standard pressure in my G43 and Hornady Critical Defense 110gr Critical Defense in my LCR.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm using a similar load from Black Hills in .380.  Their Honey Badger load uses the 60gr Lehigh Extreme Defense bullet.  I carry them in a Ruger LCP.

The gel tests are impressive and swayed me towards them over other loads.

FWIW, I use Hornady Critical Duty 135gr standard pressure in my G43 and Hornady Critical Defense 110gr Critical Defense in my LCR.
View Quote
In .380 the Extreme penetrater did remarkably well in my ballistic gel tests...penetrated to 17" virtually every time.
In 9mm The Extreme defender did well and penetrated to 17-17 1/2"
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've been studying self defense ammo for months now, and I'm convinced that, if this stuff will function well in my pistols, it's the way to go. The price sucks, but, if my life is on the line, it's worth it.
View Quote
It's what I carry in my LCP. At the least, it will hold together and give you good and necessary penetration.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:36:45 AM EDT
[#4]
If a round does not reliably expand you might as well go with something that does the most damage. The .380 has that problem, the 9mm not so much. I'll load the Underwoods in the LCP, and regular hollow points (all copper) in my Glock 48.
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 3:12:57 AM EDT
[#5]
If you want 380 and you want penetration, shoot Underwood 100gr hardcast.
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Any street cred yet?
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 10:12:37 PM EDT
[#7]
In 9mm, why not something from DocGKR’s list?
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 8:39:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In 9mm, why not something from DocGKR’s list?
View Quote
This. All handguns are relatively poor 'stoppers' regardless of caliber or bullet used, so shot placement and sufficient penetration are paramount, all else is secondary.

Tomac
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 6:49:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Given equal penetration, I’m not convinced they wound any better than a flat nosed FMJ. I’m open to being convinced otherwise though.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Given equal penetration, I’m not convinced they wound any better than a flat nosed FMJ. I’m open to being convinced otherwise though.
View Quote
As am I.

Tomac
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 6:56:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Ill stick with XTP in .380 and HST2 in 9mm until something is demonstratively better.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 4:34:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Me too.  Are you thinking the +P?  I am thinking about using it in a G42
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 9:01:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I like the "Barrier Blind" charachteristics and the TREMENDOUS hydraulic effect they have. Military Arms did a great vid on YT about these. I don't think a gel block is a true testament to their performance...but I also am not an ammo tester. The 'Gold Standard' tester, tnoutdoors9, seemed to be pretty pleased with these. I have switched to these for my EDC round, as I live in a populated "Military Town", and with the current climate with Iran and such, I feel I MAY need to shoot through a hard barrier in a possible terrorist scenario. Hopefully by my resurrecting this thread it will garner some more info and opinion's. Lehigh has redesigned this bullet and it is Cold-Forged rather than CNC-machined. It looks a bit different.

ETA: I ran the new design rounds in my P225 today and it was a FAIL, but it ran the original style just fine. I will try them in the other guns I know function with the original CNC style bullets as well. We shall see. I did find the OAL of the new round is .030" less, which is in spec according to the Lee manual for a "Jacketed" 90gr. bullet. Both loaded round did weigh the same.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 6:14:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Nobody...??
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 6:24:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Any street cred yet?
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 6:52:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:  Nobody...??
View Quote
How many times have we been burnt by miracle gimmick ammo that turns your .32 into a .45?  Let's see how it does on hogs.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:27:50 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm using the 90 grain Lehigh load in my LCP.

They seem to be the best balance of penetration. Most HP .380s fall short, while the FMJ ammo goes really deep. The Lehigh seems to get a consistent 16".

In .380 I see that as great. I doubt the permanent wound channel is larger than .38", but if proof came out that showed otherwise that would be cool.

I use traditional HP loads in 9mm (HST).
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:33:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Me too.

I love Lehigh rifle rounds, especially in 300blk, but these fluted rounds i'm still not sure of.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
That the thing, I don't believe these Lehigh rounds achieve the same penetration as FMJ rounds of the same weight. That means they must have higher drag/more damage?

The 90 grain .380 load does 16-17" of penetration. Standard .380 90 grain fmj does into the high 20s.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:04:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Bought a few boxes of +P... I need to shoot some of them to see how they run in my G43 before edc.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 1:00:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That the thing, I don't believe these Lehigh rounds achieve the same penetration as FMJ rounds of the same weight. That means they must have higher drag/more damage?

The 90 grain .380 load does 16-17" of penetration. Standard .380 90 grain fmj does into the high 20s.
View Quote
They lose penetration because of the extra resistance as the flutes push the tissue/fluids around. The problem with this approach is, while it may look impressive in tests, pistol cartridges don't have the velocity for that temporary stretch to be a reliable wound mechanism. I wouldn't carry these if they were given to me, they're just more flashy but mediocre novelty rounds.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 2:17:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

They lose penetration because of the extra resistance as the flutes push the tissue/fluids around. The problem with this approach is, while it may look impressive in tests, pistol cartridges don't have the velocity for that temporary stretch to be a reliable wound mechanism. I wouldn't carry these if they were given to me, they're just more flashy but mediocre novelty rounds.
View Quote
I understand that.

I carry them not because I think they do more damage, but because they keep penetration to a reasonable level when compared to just standard FMJ rounds.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 3:34:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:  They lose penetration because of the extra resistance as the flutes push the tissue/fluids around. The problem with this approach is, while it may look impressive in tests, pistol cartridges don't have the velocity for that temporary stretch to be a reliable wound mechanism. I wouldn't carry these if they were given to me, they're just more flashy but mediocre novelty rounds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:  They lose penetration because of the extra resistance as the flutes push the tissue/fluids around. The problem with this approach is, while it may look impressive in tests, pistol cartridges don't have the velocity for that temporary stretch to be a reliable wound mechanism. I wouldn't carry these if they were given to me, they're just more flashy but mediocre novelty rounds.
The claim is the rotational velocity is sufficient to cause a permanent cavity, but the jury is still out on that.

Quoted:  I understand that.

I carry them not because I think they do more damage, but because they keep penetration to a reasonable level when compared to just standard FMJ rounds.
Why would you not want to make a through hole?
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 3:48:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Deliberately trying to LIMIT penetration in a .380 seems a little…counterproductive. 20" may sound like a lot in gel, but the cartridge is known for underpenetrating and the general consensus is it's best to focus on maximizing penetration because expanding rounds don't penetrate enough. I don't think the solution is to carry a round that fails at both expansion and penetration.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The claim is the rotational velocity is sufficient to cause a permanent cavity, but the jury is still out on that.

Why would you not want to make a through hole?
View Quote
Why would I? As long as the bullet penetrates deep enough to hit the vitals I'm after, I don't care if it exits.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 3:58:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Why would I? As long as the bullet penetrates deep enough to hit the vitals I'm after, I don't care if it exits.
View Quote
Because an exit wound increases the rate of blood loss for anything less than a perfect shot.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 4:00:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Deliberately trying to LIMIT penetration in a .380 seems a little…counterproductive. 20" may sound like a lot in gel, but the cartridge is known for underpenetrating and the general consensus is it's best to focus on maximizing penetration because expanding rounds don't penetrate enough. I don't think the solution is to carry a round that fails at both expansion and penetration.
View Quote
I'm confused by what you're saying. If the bullet (in this case the Lehigh) penetrates to 16-17", it's NOT suffering from lack of penetration.

What round are you using that penetrates to 16" AND expands in a .380?

I selected this round for penetration as that is MORE important than expansion. It's the compromise you make when carrying something like a Ruger LCP vs a Glock 19.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 4:01:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Because an exit wound doubles the rate of blood loss for anything less than a perfect shot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because an exit wound doubles the rate of blood loss for anything less than a perfect shot.
No.

Blood loss can also be internal and not actually leave the body. Actually, that the most common thing in GSW.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 4:05:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm confused by what you're saying. If the bullet (in this case the Lehigh) penetrates to 16-17", it's NOT suffering from lack of penetration.

I selected this round for penetration as that is MORE important than expansion. It's the compromise you make when carrying something like a Ruger LCP vs a Glock 19.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You said previously that you chose these rounds because you were afraid of OVERpenetration in the .380 with FMJ ammo; you should not be concerned about that, you should be trying to get the most penetration you can. .380 and smaller calibers are FMJ/hard-cast only for any defensive use, there are no rounds (that I know of) that reliably expand and penetrate like in larger calibers; you have to choose one or the other, and only one is a reliable way to stop an attacker. Half-assing the only reliable wounding mechanism at your disposal in the hopes of maybe boosting the unreliable one, is a poor choice.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 4:10:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No.

Blood loss can also be internal and not actually leave the body. Actually, that the most common thing in GSW.
View Quote
Yes, it can. However, you're choosing to limit the maximum wounding potential in an already-limited cartridge. Crushing more tissue and making more holes increases blood loss. If your ammo can reliably exit the torso, you also have double the chances of creating an open pneumothorax situation in your target.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 4:10:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You said previously that you chose these rounds because you were afraid of OVERpenetration in the .380 with FMJ ammo; you should not be concerned about that, you should be trying to get the most penetration you can. .380 and smaller calibers are FMJ/hard-cast only for any defensive use, there are no rounds (that I know of) that reliably expand and penetrate like in larger calibers; you have to choose one or the other, and only one is a reliable way to stop an attacker. Half-assing the only reliable wounding mechanism at your disposal in the hopes of maybe boosting the unreliable one, is a poor choice.
View Quote
I'm not literally afraid of over penetration, only acknowledging that at some point too much penetration doesn't gain you anything. If you want to run a hardcast load that gets 36" of penetration then do it. Personally, I think that's a waste. There's a reason that 12-18" of penetration is the gold standard.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 4:13:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yes, it can. However, you're choosing to limit the maximum wounding potential in an already-limited cartridge. Crushing more tissue and making more holes increases blood loss. If your ammo can reliably exit the torso, you also have double the chances of creating an open pneumothorax situation in your target.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Blood loss is not a reliable mechanism to STOP someone. It could take someone minutes to bleed out and in that time they could kill me. What you need to do it hit the vitals (heart, CNS, etc.) and to reliably do that I need 12-18" of penetration.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm not literally afraid of over penetration, only acknowledging that at some point too much penetration doesn't gain you anything. If you want to run a hardcast load that gets 36" of penetration then do it. Personally, I think that's a waste. There's a reason that 12-18" of penetration is the gold standard.
View Quote
There are many reasons, but none of them are "more is worse".
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 4:17:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Blood loss is not a reliable mechanism to STOP someone. It could take someone minutes to bleed out and in that time they could kill me. What you need to do it hit the vitals (heart, CNS, etc.) and to reliably do that I need 12-18" of penetration.
View Quote
The .380 is not a reliable round for stopping someone. I thought I made it clear that I was talking about maximizing the wounding capability of less-than-ideal shots. You're rationalizing choosing weak ammo, in an already-weak caliber, under the assumption that you're going to score perfect hits when you need to and therefore you don't need to use ammo that skews the odds a little more in your favor.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Buffalo Boar .380 hardcast penetrates 45" of gel according to ShootingtheBulls test. You should use that.

What round do you carry in whatever service caliber gun you use? I'd bet hardcast in service calibers can get upwards of 60" of penetration.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 4:21:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The .380 is not a reliable round for stopping someone. I thought I made it clear that I was talking about maximizing the wounding capability of less-than-ideal shots. You're rationalizing choosing weak ammo, in an already-weak caliber, under the assumption that you're going to score perfect hits when you need to and therefore you don't need to use ammo that skews the odds a little more in your favor.
View Quote
I think you're missing what I'm trying to say. If my shots are not perfect and don't hit the real vitals, then it doesn't matter what bullet I'm using. The gunfight will be over in seconds, and either them or I will bleed out minuets later.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 4:32:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I think you're missing what I'm trying to say. If my shots are not perfect and don't hit the real vitals, then it doesn't matter what bullet I'm using. The gunfight will be over in seconds, and either them or I will bleed out minuets later.
View Quote
And you're missing what I'm trying to say; it's not that you just want to have all the penetration in the universe, it's that giving it up in this caliber doesn't gain you anything. In larger calibers you can trade excess penetration for excellent expansion, and it's a good trade to make. Here you're just paying money to remove that excess, which works in your favor, and you're gaining nothing for it. An imperfect hit isn't just "you missed", you might have a perfect shot at an attacker's heart but his arms get in the way and now your "good enough" penetration...isn't. It's not a great position to be in with any cartridge, but since you're not gaining performance in other areas here, you have nothing to lose by taking the extra penetration to maximize your odds. Choosing this ammo for the reasoning you've stated is a deliberate choice to hamper your own capabilities and pay extra money for the privilege.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 4:39:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Yep. I carry that load now.
Being partially barrier blind with repeatable and consistent  soft tissue penetration makes a bit more sense. No apparent changes in temporary or permanent wound cavity compared to traditional HP ammo.
It may not be perfect for every single senerio but it is as middle of the road as you could ask for.

Going to shoot a few hogs and see just how well it performs.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 4:42:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

And you're missing what I'm trying to say; it's not that you just want to have all the penetration in the universe, it's that giving it up in this caliber doesn't gain you anything. In larger calibers you can trade excess penetration for excellent expansion, and it's a good trade to make. Here you're just paying money to remove that excess, which works in your favor, and you're gaining nothing for it. An imperfect hit isn't just "you missed", you might have a perfect shot at an attacker's heart but his arms get in the way and now your "good enough" penetration...isn't. It's not a great position to be in with any cartridge, but since you're not gaining performance in other areas here, you have nothing to lose by taking the extra penetration to maximize your odds. Choosing this ammo for the reasoning you've stated is a deliberate choice to hamper your own capabilities and pay extra money for the privilege.
View Quote
I'm not giving up penetration by using the Lehigh 90 grain load. It consistently penetrates 16-17" in gel tests. You make it seem like I selected a round that gets 8".

The 12-18" penetration standard accounts for "things" getting in the way of vitals.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 4:51:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'm not giving up penetration by using the Lehigh 90 grain load. It consistently penetrates 16-17" in gel tests. You make it seem like I selected a round that gets 8".

The 12-18" penetration standard accounts for "things" getting in the way of vitals.
View Quote
I'll try to bottom-line my point here:

1. Increasing penetration increases your chances of winning a fight.

2. Increasing expansion increases your chances of winning a fight.

3. In .380, nothing expands reliably without having inadequate penetration.

4. In .380, LeHigh has 16" penetration and FMJ has 20"+ penetration, while neither expands.

THEREFORE: Choosing LeHigh over FMJ to "keep penetration reasonable" is choosing a net decrease in your chances of winning a fight.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 4:54:07 PM EDT
[#41]
I ordered 200 rounds of extreme penetrator in .357 Sig for lobby day. Should be here tomorrow.  Got a junk car over at a friends farm to do some engine block tests as well as car door tests.   Looking forward to the results
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 4:57:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

4. In .380, LeHigh has 16" penetration and FMJ has 20"+ penetration, while neither expands.

THEREFORE: Choosing LeHigh over FMJ to "keep penetration reasonable" is choosing a net decrease in your chances of winning a fight.
View Quote
The only point we differ on is #4.

16" is plenty of penetration and a load that goes +20" gains me nothing. The likelyhood that 16" of penetration was insufficient, but 20" would have made the difference is so small as to not even matter- otherwise we'd be having the same discussion for ALL service calibers.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 4:59:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The only point we differ on is #4.

16" is plenty of penetration and a load that goes +20" gains me nothing. The likelyhood that 16" of penetration was insufficient, but 20" would have made the difference is so small as to not even matter- otherwise we'd be having the same discussion for ALL service calibers.
View Quote
But why pay novelty-ammo pricing to take away a small potential advantage?

You're framing it backwards: going from 20+ down to 16" gains you nothing either, but it's costing you more money. Even if the chances of the extra penetration being the difference are remote, a remote advantage for less money is the better choice every time. There is no rational argument to be made for choosing to pay more money for a bullet you readily accept has less performance.

In a fight, one should take every advantage, and cheat at every opportunity. Play to win, not to be "good enough, usually".
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

16" in organic or synthetic gel? Ive only ever seen them in synthetic. 16" is more like 12" in real life.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 5:08:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

In a fight, one should take every advantage, and cheat at every opportunity. Play to win, not to be "good enough, usually".
View Quote
Depends, if it's shown that the Lehigh bullet damages tissue above it's diameter, I'm at an advantage.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 5:09:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Depends, if it's shown that the Lehigh bullet damages tissue above it's diameter, I'm at an advantage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Links to lehigh in organic gel?
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

16" in organic or synthetic gel? Ive only ever seen them in synthetic. 16" is more like 12" in real life.
View Quote
That would certainly explain how they can claim to outperform the .380 cartridge's long and well-earned reputation for sucking at penetration with anything but FMJ or hard-cast.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 5:36:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not sure what this is, but it's not ClearBallistics.

Edit: I googled VYSE Professional Grade Ballistics gel and it is collagen based.

Ammo Quest .380 ACP: Lehigh XP Xtreme Penetrator test in ballistic gel
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 1:18:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
90 grain +P Underwood

Barrier tests
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top