Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2021 9:17:19 PM EDT
Just had to send my APX Centurion back to Beretta today.  Issue is that when you rack the slide it doesn't lock up completely.  You can push the front of the slide back and it stays about a half inch out of battery.  I am thinking I broke either the guide rod or recoil spring but will have to wait to find out.  Anybody else broke or had issues with the APX?  Just curious
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:39:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just had to send my APX Centurion back to Beretta today.  Issue is that when you rack the slide it doesn't lock up completely.  You can push the front of the slide back and it stays about a half inch out of battery.  I am thinking I broke either the guide rod or recoil spring but will have to wait to find out.  Anybody else broke or had issues with the APX?  Just curious
View Quote

You couldn't take it apart to see if the guide rod or spring was broken??

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:44:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a full size fail to return to battery a few times when shooting, a light tap on the back was enough to get it locked. I figure it was weak or slightly out of spec ammo. It’s never happened again. I also decided to buy a stiffer recoil spring from Galloway precision just in case
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:49:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You couldn't take it apart to see if the guide rod or spring was broken??

View Quote

This fact makes me think it's an operator issue and not a hardware issue.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:37:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a full size fail to return to battery a few times when shooting, a light tap on the back was enough to get it locked. I figure it was weak or slightly out of spec ammo. It’s never happened again. I also decided to buy a stiffer recoil spring from Galloway precision just in case
View Quote

Ditto, but after >8k rounds or so on the steel guide rod assembly. I found it odd that it did that with the lighter loadings, and full-house (1150 fps 124 gr) never had the issue. I can also push the slide back and it'll be a tad out of battery and stay there with the worn spring.

My compact still doesn't do it and is close to that round count.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 6:09:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think it is operator error, but then I probably am not a high speed operator as most of you.  When I took it apart the guide rod and spring looked normal.  It all went back together as shown in manual and online videos.  But again I will find out in a couple of days or weeks from Beretta.  It was enough of an issue that they said send it back.  Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 6:57:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a full size APX in FDE ,it was flawless, also a Centurion no problem only traded off because I `am a Glock guy . I still have a new full size FDE grip frame in the wrapper and a few spare new mags , plus a fact leather holster . having this stuff I`am afraid I may get another APX ????????
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 6:46:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I really do like the APX.  I have the Centurion model.  When I started having issues with the slide going into battery I had put about 700 rounds through it.  I am hoping to hear back from Beretta but they are back logged.  So it might be awhile.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 5:20:47 PM EDT
[#8]
It was a broken guide rod assembly.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 7:33:42 AM EDT
[#9]
You didn't realize that the guiderod was broken?
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 11:37:59 AM EDT
[#10]
It was a dual spring captured recoil system.  Outward appearance it looked normal.  They said one of the springs broke under the end cap and the internal rod covered by end cap had a crack in it.  Basically got a bad part and it needed a new one.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 2:32:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm here because a LGS has the APX for $377, so I'm doing research. Broken guide rod assy. @ 700 rounds, doesn't sound good. Hopefully a one off issue.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 3:08:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Since new guide rod no issues.  Put about another 400 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 3:21:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks. I shoot predominantly 124+P, this just gives me pause. I don't need it but it looks nice and great price. Other nines are G17.5 and P365.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 8:45:11 AM EDT
[#14]
If it is any consolation, his is the only story I have seen of this happening. And, I am on just about every gun forum there is.

I also used to have an APX. I only sold it because it didn't fit my hand as well as another gun I bought after.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 2:03:55 PM EDT
[#15]
When my full-size was new, I could induce this when easing the slide closed by hand.  Never had it happen when racking and releasing to chamber a round or during firing.

The last .5 inch of forward slide travel seems to be where the cocking lever catches and retracts the striker.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top