Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/6/2018 3:12:18 PM EDT
Anyone else own a Remington R51? I personally bought one pretty cheap after rebates etc. It's honestly a nice shooting handgun, fits well in the hand. I've only ever had issues with steel case. I personally think it gets a lot more hate than it should due to the early models. Takedown is a PITA though, but a clamp helps in the takedown greatly.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 4:37:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a second generation.  Mine works.  Nice size, points well.  Yes, a pain in the butt to disassemble.  Friend gave me a couple of first gen mags.  The followers are different.  Emailed Remington to see if I could get new followers; no joy.  Probably because Remington doesn't manufacture the mags (just a guess on my part but most companies farm out mags).

Neat design.  Obviously Remington screwed the pooch on the first ones but I think they have figured it out.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 4:39:37 PM EDT
[#2]
The R51's that are coming out of the factory now are all sorted out and great shooters.  I don't think there is a better gun in the price point actually.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 8:44:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine has been GTG also.
Soft shooting, and as previously said, a great value.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 12:27:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a second generation.  Mine works.  Nice size, points well.  Yes, a pain in the butt to disassemble.  Friend gave me a couple of first gen mags.  The followers are different.  Emailed Remington to see if I could get new followers; no joy.  Probably because Remington doesn't manufacture the mags (just a guess on my part but most companies farm out mags).

Neat design.  Obviously Remington screwed the pooch on the first ones but I think they have figured it out.
View Quote
Could you possibly post pictures of the Gen 1 Mag vs Gen 2 Mag followers? I bought some used mags for my R51 and now I'm worried they might be gen 1 mags.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 9:54:41 PM EDT
[#5]
The gen 1 mags worked.  So far anyway.   The gen 1 mags have a flat follower.  The gen 2 mags have a ridge in the middle of the follower.  Gen 2 mags have a larger base plate as well.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 6:29:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Awesome, thanks for the info. I'll take a look and see which I have.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:13:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Loving this unique handgun!  After a couple hundred rounds of fmj and hp I am feeling very good about my purchase. And again love the look of this one. May buy another for the wife.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top