Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2020 4:52:18 PM EDT
Wanted one since high school and finally got one a couple months ago.

It's the 357 magnum with IMB. It's a very smooth shooting pistol. My wife loves shooting it, her 2" Colt Lawman is now her second favorite gun.

This whole desert eagle thing is worse than black rifle disease. I really do need all the calibers in both barrel lengths.

Last month I picked up 2 10" barrels for it, 1 in 357 mag and 1 in 44 mag. And I'm on the list for a 10" 429DE barrel.

The powder I have available to play with on the shelf is Unique, HP38, 2400, IMR4227 and AA9 - for bullets I've been using xtreme plated.

In the 357 magnum.
The unique and hp38 were flaking plating chips through the gas port into the cavity below the barrel. Those were weak loads that didn't even pick up the next round - ejected fine into nice close pile though. I only made 10 of each with those 2 powders and didn't like how they felt when shooting along with the plating flakes they are out of the desert eagle loads pool in my note book.

The 2400, IMR4227 and AA9 felt smoother to me while shooting and didn't send plating flakes into the bottom so they are listed in my notes for fine tuning to a favorite load. The 2400 cycled well with the starting point I chose which was based off of fast lead and slow jacketed published data in a few different books. 4227 and AA9 didn't pick up the next round but there is plenty of room to up the charge wt on all of those powders.

In the 44 magnum barrel, all 3 of those powders cycled smoothly with the start loads I chose.

This thing has made reloading fun and less of a chore. I have taken more notes for this pistol alone than everything else combined and my chronograph hasn't even come out of the box yet.

One thing I am curious of with the 429DE, how many cycles are people getting out of cases before the necks start cracking?
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 8:22:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GarrettJ] [#1]
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 8:22:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for posting your experiences... I am not reloading yet, so I don't have much response other than to say thank you for sharing your experiences... but I do have one question.
With some factory ammunition, I have seen plating or jacket particles blown through the gas system and into the springs of these guns before... do you know the exactly what causes that?

MrBlackCat
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 8:46:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrBlackCat] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GarrettJ:

Well done on finding the 10" barrels.  They have been getting difficult to find recently and command a premium when they do come up for sale.

And what "list" is there for 10" .429 barrels?  I had read somewhere that MRI was thinking about making a run of 10" barrels, but I haven't seen anything on their website.
View Quote

Call Magnum Research (the 218-746-3459 number) and they (Scott I know keeps a list) will add you to a list for a 10" barrel (or barrels) in any of the Mk XIX calibers... only in black as of my last speaking with them.  I am like third on the list for a 10" 429.  I was told that the order was already placed... they are being made now.  No date as to when they will arrive.  I will post here when I am able to pay for mine if you like, or I can just PM you.
The connection and interaction between the Magnum Research website and the service center/parts center/custom shop is complicated... rather compartmentalized as nearly separate operations.

I am third up for a 10" 429DE!  :D

MrBlackCat
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:03:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By MrBlackCat:

Call Magnum Research (the 218-746-3459 number) and they (Scott I know keeps a list) will add you to a list for a 10" barrel (or barrels) in any of the Mk XIX calibers... only in black as of my last speaking with them.  I am like third on the list for a 10" 429.  I was told that the order was already placed... they are being made now.  No date as to when they will arrive.  I will post here when I am able to pay for mine if you like, or I can just PM you.
The connection and interaction between the Magnum Research website and the service center/parts center/custom shop is complicated... rather compartmentalized as nearly separate operations.

MrBlackCat
View Quote

Thats good info. I'll call up Monday and get on the list.  I need that and a 41 Magnum barrel to complete the set I think (unless I'm missing something Im unaware of)

On topic.  Welcome to the club.  It only gets more expensive from here.  I was going to try to get all the "colors" but the price is steadily increasing and I doubt I'll be able to swing it.

I have a Case Hardened 357 and it is probably my favorite gun to shoot.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:38:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By MrBlackCat:

MrBlackCat
View Quote

GarrettJ, MrBlackCat has the instructions to get on the list right there. There was a post in the 10" barrel thread with a screen shot about it  from MRI.
I talked with them yesterday, Scott was fun to talk with. My efforts to get a color case hardened 10" barrel failed (not making them with that finish) but they are doing stainless.

I picked up my two 10" barrels from the kahr site, the 357 is ti gold and the 44 is brushed chrome. Both were both listed as discontinued and 1 left in stock so add to cart was no brainer. I don't known if they are going through old boxes at the warehouse or maybe stumbling accross stuff hidden and listing one at a time or what but kahr listed a couple more 44 10" barrels polished chrome a couple weeks after I bought mine.

The plating chips only happened with the first 20 rounds that were with those 2 powders. If actually related to the powders IDK, but since then that barrel has seen 10 rnd of 4227 and 10 rnd of AA9 and 80 rnd loaded with 2400 and no chips. I'll be keeping an eye on it though.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:48:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By IamMunneY:

Thats good info. I'll call up Monday and get on the list.  I need that and a 41 Magnum barrel to complete the set I think (unless I'm missing something Im unaware of)

On topic.  Welcome to the club.  It only gets more expensive from here.  I was going to try to get all the "colors" but the price is steadily increasing and I doubt I'll be able to swing it.

I have a Case Hardened 357 and it is probably my favorite gun to shoot.
View Quote

I am thinking about a 44mag 6" barrel finished with color case hardened. They were available a few weeks ago but the 44s have all dried up. Yesterday MRI said 2 months out to replenish stock.

Is it clear coated or anything? Or just bare case hardened finish?

They should make a barrel display cabinet to mount on the wall.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 9:04:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By RiverSwine45:

I am thinking about a 44mag 6" barrel finished with color case hardened. They were available a few weeks ago but the 44s have all dried up. Yesterday MRI said 2 months out to replenish stock.

Is it clear coated or anything? Or just bare case hardened finish?

They should make a barrel display cabinet to mount on the wall.
View Quote

It is just finish no clear coat.  I would really like to get all the calibers in Case Hardened but that would get out of hand.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 8:33:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I went to the range Sunday. Had an awesome day with my son and his girlfriend. We brought the desert eagle, the 10" barrels and the chronograph too.

I increased the charges a little from what wasn't working before. 200 rnd fired this time out and had zero malfunctions. Most importantly, no plating flakes observed.

The 357mag were mixed brass, WSP primers and extreme 158gn flat point plated bullets.

12gn of AA9
6" IMB barrel was 1135 to 1221 fps
10" barrel was 1358 to 1426 fps
13gn of 2400
6" IMB barrel was 1207 to 1233 fps
10" barrel was 1387 to 1460 fps
15gn of IMR4227
6" IMB barrel was 1092 to 1156 fps
10" barrel was 1277 to 1361 fps

I shot some 158gn federal premium hydrashocks (P357HSIG) too, just to see if they would cycle in the 6" IMB barrel. They work good. Speeds varied by just a couple right at 1328 fps.

The 44mag were mixed brass, WLP primers and extreme 240gn flat point plated bullets.

17gn of AA9
10" barrel was 1348 to 1422 fps
17.5gn of 2400
10" barrel was 1276 to 1365 fps
21gn of IMR4227
10" barrel was 1233 to 1242

I don't have a 6" 44mag barrel yet so that's all I can do for now.

I'm sure if I get a digital scale, start sorting my brass and trimming it to 2 or 3 decimal points I can close the spread
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top