Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2023 11:51:16 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 8:09:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Ritchie gun leather ankle rig. He worked with the legendary LouAlessi and took over the shop after Lou’s passing. He makes the Alessi pattern ankle rig, which is the best out there. When properly worn very stable, no extra calf strap to bug you. I used one for decades with an all steel J frame, so with an alloy J it would be even more comfortable

A less expensive option is the renegade available from the wilderness in Phoenix AZ. Also good quality and comfortable but a bit bulkier than leather.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 10:46:29 PM EDT
[#2]
27+ years with over 20 working plainclothes LE in a major city

I use a SW AirLite J frame loaded with 135gr Gold Dot as a BUG

Best setup I’ve found is from 5 Shot Leather with thumb break for a hammerless gun

Rides on top of a hiking boot and you forget it’s there it’s so comfortable

Things I’ve learned....

Avoid autos because you’ll bump the mag release, more secure is better than open top especially when running/fighting

Light is the the answer even if the gun kicks a little harder, revolver pressed against target fires autos not so much

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 7:15:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Ankle carry really kind of sucks but it’s what I turn to for my backup gun.  I use a S&W 642 loaded with Hornady critical defense in a Galco ankle glove holster.  It’s not fast but it’s there and comfortable to carry.  It also has the advantage of the ability to make contact shots if a fight goes to the ground with the bad guy on top of you.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 3:04:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I wore a Galco ankle-glove with a S&W 642 for many years.  Then I switched out the revolver for a Ruger LCP because the cylinder "bulge" was causing extreme discomfort in my leg.  The LCP was carried for 3-4 years in the same holster without issue.

Ankle holsters are uncomfortable, and a last resort.  I would much rather pocket carry a LCP than ankle.  The only thing an ankle holster is good for is sitting / driving and I would rather just unholster my 3 oclock and sit it in the console.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m running a Galco ankle glove with a P365XL and RDS it seems to be comfortable and stable. Been using it a few months a friend recently got the Alien Gear and he is liking it so far. I for years used Fobus but they don’t make an offering for my current setup.

ETA: Full Disclosure I carry mine over the boot not on a bare ankle.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 12:25:02 AM EDT
[#6]
DeSantis Diehard or Galco Ankle Glove in my experience. Currently running a DeSantis Diehard for a P365, previously carried a 442 in a Galco Ankle glove, and before that a Glock 27 in another DeSantis Diehard. The Glock was just too chunky for the ankle. The 442 is probably the most comfortable due to the shape of the revolver and light weight. I briefly tried one of the felt padded custom leather ankle holsters (Mine was a Ritchie for the 442) but did not like it all as it neither held the gun tight nor did it allow for movement. While neither Galco nor DeSantis make leather as nice as a custom job, they are very functional and retain the gun well. I only use the ankle holster for a backup gun but it works well for that.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 10:32:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 10:34:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
27+ years with over 20 working plainclothes LE in a major city

I use a SW AirLite J frame loaded with 135gr Gold Dot as a BUG

Best setup I’ve found is from 5 Shot Leather with thumb break for a hammerless gun

Rides on top of a hiking boot and you forget it’s there it’s so comfortable

Things I’ve learned....

Avoid autos because you’ll bump the mag release, more secure is better than open top especially when running/fighting

Light is the the answer even if the gun kicks a little harder, revolver pressed against target fires autos not so much

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/86935/E85AEC7A-29C2-4FAF-9F6A-9998AE017B89_jpe-2760253.JPG
View Quote

Does it chew-up the top of your hiking boot? Mine does, I've ruined a couple different sets of hiking boots due to my G26 riding on top of it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 5:16:53 PM EDT
[#9]
This is what you want. Every other ankle holster pales in comparison for comfort and retention.

https://www.ritchieholsters.com/catalog/p-100011/ankle

If memory serves, these are the people who worked with Lou Alessi in his shop. It's the same thing.

I can personally attest to about ten years of carrying a Glock 19 in one of these.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 5:31:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I used a Galco Ankle Glove for my Glock 43 for year. Work great. It did not move around and I would honestly forget I was carrying it. If I needed to do it today I would be using my Sig P365 which is actually the size of (and uses the same Galco holster) as the G42.

No, ankle carry isn't ideal from a threat response POV but there were places I had to go a few years back were my only realistic options were ankle carry or no carry. I chose ankle carry and would practice drawing my pistol from my ankle holster frequently.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 9:00:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Does it chew-up the top of your hiking boot? Mine does, I've ruined a couple different sets of hiking boots due to my G26 riding on top of it.
View Quote

No serious wear….

It may be that the Airlite .38 is just that. Extremely lightweight.

Really not that bad to shoot though practice sessions are typically 50 rounds of +P

Out to 15 yards quick hits are a breeze. 20-25y still doable but you have to stay on that trigger control
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top