Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2018 4:34:22 PM EDT
I picked up a factory Remington ambi safety, and I'm curious how tough should the left handed safety be to drop in (the one on the right side of the frame).

Should it drop in and be retained by the grips, or require tapping in?

Link Posted: 5/11/2018 5:05:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I picked up a factory Remington ambi safety, and I'm curious how tough should the left handed safety be to drop in (the one on the right side of the frame).

Should it drop in and be retained by the grips, or require tapping in?

https://www.cdnnsports.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/r/e/remambi_1.jpg
View Quote
all thumb safeties require fitting.  You should google it. It's not often that hard, but it's not "dropping in" because it's hitting the sear. You need to file the safety to get it to fit, but if you file too much it won't actually be a safety, it'll just be for show.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

all thumb safeties require fitting.  You should google it. It's not often that hard, but it's not "dropping in" because it's hitting the sear. You need to file the safety to get it to fit, but if you file too much it won't actually be a safety, it'll just be for show.
View Quote
The other side, not the side that interfaces with the sear, but the lever for left handed shooters.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 7:04:33 PM EDT
[#3]
It'll be retained by the grip panel.  You'll need a grip with a clearance cut underneath.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 7:46:53 PM EDT
[#4]
How much oomph should it take to push into the frame?  Should it slide in easy, or require force?

If i take the grip off, should I need a tool to pry it loose?
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 7:52:56 PM EDT
[#5]
A little oomph.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 8:51:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Some drop in some dont.  I put one in a kimber. Bought the part from Midway. It was a Kimber packaged part, went right in.  Tried putting another one in a Rock Island and had to modify the width.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 11:18:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How much oomph should it take to push into the frame?  Should it slide in easy, or require force?

If i take the grip off, should I need a tool to pry it loose?
View Quote
The right side tang mates with the left side as a friction fit.  I like them tight but not so tight they require a tool, because there really isn't a good way to pry it apart without scratching the frame.

If the fit is too loose, you can gently squeeze the female portion on the left side together a bit in a vise to tighten it up.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 9:11:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The right side tang mates with the left side as a friction fit.  I like them tight but not so tight they require a tool, because there really isn't a good way to pry it apart without scratching the frame.

If the fit is too loose, you can gently squeeze the female portion on the left side together a bit in a vise to tighten it up.
View Quote
Thanks, that was what I was trying to determine.

I wanted to make sure that I did the right thing by filing the tongue and groove so that they slid together with minimal force.

When I tried them in the bare frame, The right side needed some taps from a screwdriver handle to seat.

I was able to use a flat screw driver to remove it by opening the joint through the grip safety opening.

It's now a slight interference fit.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 1:02:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks, that was what I was trying to determine.

I wanted to make sure that I did the right thing by filing the tongue and groove so that they slid together with minimal force.

When I tried them in the bare frame, The right side needed some taps from a screwdriver handle to seat.

I was able to use a flat screw driver to remove it by opening the joint through the grip safety opening.

It's now a slight interference fit.
View Quote
OK, just keep in mind that the grip safety will not be able to come out until you have the thumb safety apart.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 5:30:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

OK, just keep in mind that the grip safety will not be able to come out until you have the thumb safety apart.
View Quote
That's why I filed.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 6:16:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Got all of my parts (less the grip safety) and fitted the ambi safety today.

It required quite a bit more filing than I would have though.  Works nice thought, and lefty safety fits snugly.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 6:32:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I just installed a Remington ambi safety last week. There was no way it was going to go together without some file work. Take out both sides and either open up the one, or file down the other. My file wouldn't fit between the 2 pieces, so I filed down the 1 piece the gos between (can't remember which side was the male piece). Just file it untill it fits together with a reasonable snug fit.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 6:46:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just installed a Remington ambi safety last week. There was no way it was going to go together without some file work. Take out both sides and either open up the one, or file down the other. My file wouldn't fit between the 2 pieces, so I filed down the 1 piece the gos between (can't remember which side was the male piece). Just file it untill it fits together with a reasonable snug fit.
View Quote
OP here,

done, see photo above.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top