User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 7:42:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

USSOCOM is completely irrelevant when discussing CCW, LE, FBI, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
USSOCOM uses 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP. They don't seem to be too concerned with the whole debate.

Correct.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 8:09:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
After the Miami shooting in 1986 where several FBI agents were killed by suspects who already had fatal wounds before killing the agents the FBI came up with their test suite to find a more effective caliber. It is mostly penetration tests, will the round go through a windshield or does it bounce off, can it go through the simulated car door, does it go the "appropriate" distance in ballistic gel, neither too deep nor too shallow. Can it still penetrate the appropriate amount if you have several layers of denim in front of the ballistic gel simulating heavy clothing. When the FBI tested the available calibers and ammunition at the time the ONLY cartridge that passed the testing was the 10mm, so they adopted it and the S&W 1006. And almost immediately started to get complaints from agents that the guns had too much recoil, the grip was too big and were too hard to shoot. So a 10mm "light" FBI load was developed, and then the 40 S&W cartridge was developed and the FBI switched to 40 S&W, and still got a lot of complaints from their agents that the guns recoiled too much and were too hard to shoot.* * *
View Quote

The “gun selection” step you missed was that when S&W first handed the FTU folks several prototype 5” 1006 models to test, they were fired a few times and quickly handed back with instructions to shorten the slide/barrel to “Commander-length” and add a Sig-style, frame-mounted decocking lever instead of the snaggy slide-mounted lever. It apparently caught one too many times on the inner cloth of expensive suit coats.  Stylin’ but not smilin’.

S&W returned to the FTU with several prototype 1076 models (4.25” barrel/decocking lever) and also optioned the same gun for other depts/agencies with a traditional S&W slide mounted lever (the model 1066).

The 1076 was tested by the FTU and then adopted for its field agents.  The duty ammo initially authorized was Federal’s diluted 10mm “FBI-Lite” 180grn JHP @ 980fps or thereabouts.

Federal also made the first bonded JHP for the Bureau, which was a 190grn bullet @ about 1050fps. Although designed ostensibly for use in the Bureau’s 10mm HK-made subguns, I knew senior agents who preferred this ammo for their 1076 pistols (due to the bonded bullet and the slightly higher velocity)  - apparently without objection from the FTU.

Link Posted: 4/5/2022 8:17:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
People keep talking about the advancement in 9mm projectiles as if those exact same advancements haven't happened with 40, 45, etc.
View Quote

Right, the Gold Dot .45 is also an effective round.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 8:26:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Q says they switched to cause an ammo shortage so regular Joe couldn't get 9mm.  Mmkkkay
View Quote

And the regular Joes shoot more than the average FBI hire, take training classes on their own, and more regular Joes can handle the larger calibers (45, 10mm) more proficiently than FBI agents.

Hence, even during a 9mm ammo shortage, you can still find 10mm and .45 ammo, although it'll be consistently pricier than the mini-meter.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 9:20:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Mkay.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 9:21:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Correct.
View Quote
Incorrect...as usual.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 9:25:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

And the regular Joes shoot more than the average FBI hire, take training classes on their own, and more regular Joes can handle the larger calibers (45, 10mm) more proficiently than FBI agents.

Hence, even during a 9mm ammo shortage, you can still find 10mm and .45 ammo, although it'll be consistently pricier than the mini-meter.
View Quote
Does that apply to FBI HRT? They don't seem to have a problem with 9mm.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 9:39:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Training means once a year qualifications, way too many people think they train all day every day and most of them aren't gun guys.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 10:22:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Incorrect...as usual.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct.
Incorrect...as usual.

Wrong.

Worse, you know your wrong.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 10:25:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Training means once a year qualifications, way too many people think they train all day every day and most of them aren't gun guys.
View Quote

For most depts/agencies, yes. ... Twice a year quals at best for some.

Back in the day, Chicago PD used to do quals four times a year due to all the OISs, but I don’t know if they still do.

Apart from the ammo-shortages, cops aren’t allowed to shoot felons anymore.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 1:01:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The description of FBI hires is spot on dead nuts accurate. I was at the FBI Academy 5 different times in my last 10 years on duty. Every single time they had a new class of kids starting their training. I do mean KIDS. Seriously I had a paternal instinct to pick them up and burp them. NONE of them had any law enforcement experience except watching TV shows. Most had degrees in law or accounting because that's what the FBI wants. None, not a single one, would know what to do if they had to answer a 911 dispatch. Or for that matter deal with a member of the John Q Public, which is why they are so detached from reality and have ZERO people skills. Frankly the FBI brass does not like real cops/deputies polluting their in-bred archaic organization. Its been a political hack tool from Day 1 with J.Edgar Hoover and that has not changed a bit.

I've written plenty of rants over the years tearing apart the FBI's alleged "testing" and more laughable their "experience". Specifically the Miami shootout and the flood of CYA bool manure flooding from the FBI Brass offices after that and which still continues. To date, I have never gotten a single word of truth HOW the FBI determined that formula XYZ was the best medium to imitate human bodies. Even the FBI boot lickers in the gun world try to shut down questions about that. Another "FBI Truth" is the amount of needed penetration for effectiveness. Says who??? The closest they get to a scene or victim is a BIG MAYBE months down the road on some report filed by a local agency which may be missing details or a competent coroner report.

In my 30+ years in uniform and the last half being in CSI, I have never seen an FBI agent at any autopsy or even at a shooting scene. But the exalted experts who sit in offices in the echo chambers in Washington D.C. are elevated to shooting & crime scene experts?!!?!! The US Border Patrol has more shootings per year than ALL Federal agencies combined and they say 10 inches penetration in jello is plenty. But the all knowing FBI totally ignores the real experience of people on the streets and deserts. Bottom line: the FBI is a premier agency at wasting billions of tax money for BS politically correct garbage. Every time the FBI Bulletin comes out there's always an article about "Leadership" which is a total scream to real police not velcro'd to an office chair. What do you know about leadership if you don't get out of your office chair??

At the time of the Miami shootout there already was street proven 9mm loads, called Winchester Silvertip and Federal 9BP-LE. But the FBI brass had to cover their overpaid butts and spend countless millions to develop the "perfect LE caliber" the 10mm full power. But the FBI couldn't even meet their own recommendation and watered down the 10mm to what became .40 S&W "the best LE caliber" ever. Now they're back to 9mm is best. You cannot make up this stuff up!
View Quote

@JButlerHickok You hit the mail on the head.

Most people don’t realize that what the FBI is best at is self promotion. I’ve been part of plenty of joint operations and the FBI is always the clowns of the circus. No problem solving ability, horrible tactics and the worst firearms handling I’ve ever seen.

Over the years, I’ve seen a ton of pistol shooting victims, a dozen or more shotgun shooting victims and about a dozen rifle shooting victims. In all of those incidents involving pistols, the only time calibre mattered was when it was .25apc or .22lr. On several occasions (20% of the time) a person survived a heart or head shot from a .25 or .22 that would have killed them or incapacitated them with a different caliber.

9-40-45-357 have no noticeable difference in anatomical effectiveness. Period.

On penetration depth, we have found that with duty rounds, over penetration tends to be the largest problem due in large part to the FBI standards. We already advocate for #1 buck shot due to less penetration and are beginning to issue #4 buck for certain situations.

I carry a 9mm and advocate for 9mm duty guns not because they are more effective than the other options. I believe they are a better choice for departments because the other calibers aren’t any more effective,  cost more per round (when you buy 1m Per year) and 99% of our shooters are more accurate with it.

Don’t buy into the bullshit, pick a gun that you can shoot and afford to train with. Your calibre choice won’t be nearly as important as your speed and accuracy.

Link Posted: 4/5/2022 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I carry a 9mm and advocate for 9mm duty guns not because they are more effective than the other options. I believe they are a better choice for departments because the other calibers aren’t any more effective,  cost more per round (when you buy 1m Per year) and 99% of our shooters are more accurate with it.
View Quote

The biggest thing I see right here. It’s more effective in the hands of those using it because they can more effectively put rounds on target.

My take
The FBI testing protocol is one metric in a long list of things that one individual or agency can use. They have updated it through the years which is good. However like anything bullet selection is give and take penetration shouldn’t be the only thing one looks at just like expansion shouldn’t be or raw power or speed. You can design a bullet that will meet one metric but may not excel in all of them or you can work at getting a consistent performer in lots of categories but it’s going to depend on the needs of the person selecting it or the needs of those it’s being selected for. Bottom line none of it matters if the person using it can’t put them where they are needed and repeat that process.

Curios you said over penetration was a issue in what you’d seen would you care to elaborate a bit?
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 2:52:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The biggest thing I see right here. It’s more effective in the hands of those using it because they can more effectively put rounds on target.

My take
The FBI testing protocol is one metric in a long list of things that one individual or agency can use. They have updated it through the years which is good. However like anything bullet selection is give and take penetration shouldn’t be the only thing one looks at just like expansion shouldn’t be or raw power or speed. You can design a bullet that will meet one metric but may not excel in all of them or you can work at getting a consistent performer in lots of categories but it’s going to depend on the needs of the person selecting it or the needs of those it’s being selected for. Bottom line none of it matters if the person using it can’t put them where they are needed and repeat that process.

Curios you said over penetration was a issue in what you’d seen would you care to elaborate a bit?
View Quote

@Gunnie357

Sure. Typing this on my phone so please excuse the typos. When I say over penetration is an issue, I’m talking about a two fold problem.  

1: Projectiles exiting a target with enough force to still be lethal (some even through common construction walls)

2: Projectiles exiting a target without transferring efficiently transferring available energy into said target.

It’s obvious to everyone why # 1 is a problem. Knowing your target and what’s behind it is a vital rule for that reason. However, bullet selection goes a long way to preventing unintended danger to innocents. Selecting a .25acp as an entry gun for high risk warrant service would be a poor choice due to under penetration. Selecting a .50bmg for the same task would be an obvious risk for over penetration. The problem comes from the FBI insistence on depth penetration set at 18” minimum. In reality, this depth does not correlate to real world shootings. Consider the vast difference of construction between a varmint round and a round designed for moose hunting. The minimum depth for the moose is significant and utilizing the same bullet on a ground hog would leave a .30 calibre hole instead of meat soup. Not to mention the down range potential of the moose round after exiting the ground hog. However, using a varmint round on a moose is a good way to get stomped, which brings me to #2.

#2 the energy that carries a bullet beyond a target is wasted. Think about it like a baseball. Imagine two scenarios where you are hit by a major league pitch.

In the first scenario you catch a 90mph pitch to the ear. Your head does not move and the ball bounces 6 feet back towards the pitcher.

In the second scenario, you cqtch the same pitch but this time your head is slightly angled toward the catcher and the ball hits you again in the ear but this time the ball flies straight back over the catcher and lands 12 rows behind home plate.

Which one sounds worse? Because the ball had the energy to travel further in the second scenario, your head didn’t have to absorb as much energy. You’re definitely not walking off either but I’d take the second any day over the first.

Bullet designs are a balancing act between penetration and expansion. Speed, weight and construction can be optimized to ensure maximum effectiveness within a certain window. The window or happy medium has been adopted by the industry to meet the FBI standard.

Our stance, is that researching gunshot trauma wounds (in person) provides a different picture of penetration requirements than the FBI requires.  If you could magically select a bullet that transferred all of its energy into the target (maximizing internal trauma)  and reliably reached vital organs under the widest variety of conditions without exiting the target, you would have a “perfect” bullet. In actual shootings, many of the marketed self defense / duty rounds that meet the FBI standards fail to reach their full potential before exiting the target (person).

The reality is that the FBI has the biggest budget (your taxes) to spend on research and because of it, smaller agencies rely on their recommendation.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 2:55:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Larry sums it up nicely at 8:29.

Larry Vickers Podcast Ep. 13: Stacatto 2011 Presented by Firearms Trainers Association

Link Posted: 4/5/2022 3:07:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My take

View Quote

I wrote that long reply and didn’t really answer your question. We have repeatedly seen good effectively placed rounds on target that have exited and carried enough energy beyond the target to penetrate multiple walls and remain lethal. I was on scene of a shooting last month where several rounds entered a suspect end exited through vitals before traveling through an exterior wall and embedding inside of the second interior drywall. In our experience, the leftover energy would have been better served staying within the target.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 3:21:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

@Gunnie357

Sure. Typing this on my phone so please excuse the typos. When I say over penetration is an issue, I’m talking about a two fold problem.  

1: Projectiles exiting a target with enough force to still be lethal (some even through common construction walls)

2: Projectiles exiting a target without transferring efficiently transferring available energy into said target.

It’s obvious to everyone why # 1 is a problem. Knowing your target and what’s behind it is a vital rule for that reason. However, bullet selection goes a long way to preventing unintended danger to innocents. Selecting a .25acp as an entry gun for high risk warrant service would be a poor choice due to under penetration. Selecting a .50bmg for the same task would be an obvious risk for over penetration. The problem comes from the FBI insistence on depth penetration set at 18” minimum. In reality, this depth does not correlate to real world shootings. Consider the vast difference of construction between a varmint round and a round designed for moose hunting. The minimum depth for the moose is significant and utilizing the same bullet on a ground hog would leave a .30 calibre hole instead of meat soup. Not to mention the down range potential of the moose round after exiting the ground hog. However, using a varmint round on a moose is a good way to get stomped, which brings me to #2.

#2 the energy that carries a bullet beyond a target is wasted. Think about it like a baseball. Imagine two scenarios where you are hit by a major league pitch.

In the first scenario you catch a 90mph pitch to the ear. Your head does not move and the ball bounces 6 feet back towards the pitcher.

In the second scenario, you cqtch the same pitch but this time your head is slightly angled toward the catcher and the ball hits you again in the ear but this time the ball flies straight back over the catcher and lands 12 rows behind home plate.

Which one sounds worse? Because the ball had the energy to travel further in the second scenario, your head didn’t have to absorb as much energy. You’re definitely not walking off either but I’d take the second any day over the first.

Bullet designs are a balancing act between penetration and expansion. Speed, weight and construction can be optimized to ensure maximum effectiveness within a certain window. The window or happy medium has been adopted by the industry to meet the FBI standard.

Our stance, is that researching gunshot trauma wounds (in person) provides a different picture of penetration requirements than the FBI requires.  If you could magically select a bullet that transferred all of its energy into the target (maximizing internal trauma)  and reliably reached vital organs under the widest variety of conditions without exiting the target, you would have a “perfect” bullet. In actual shootings, many of the marketed self defense / duty rounds that meet the FBI standards fail to reach their full potential before exiting the target (person).

The reality is that the FBI has the biggest budget (your taxes) to spend on research and because of it, smaller agencies rely on their recommendation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My take

@Gunnie357

ETA: saw the response
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 3:56:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I wrote that long reply and didn’t really answer your question. We have repeatedly seen good effectively placed rounds on target that have exited and carried enough energy beyond the target to penetrate multiple walls and remain lethal. I was on scene of a shooting last month where several rounds entered a suspect end exited through vitals before traveling through an exterior wall and embedding inside of the second interior drywall. In our experience, the leftover energy would have been better served staying within the target.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My take

Energy dump is rubbish.

You refer to bullets remaining lethal after exiting and yet they weren't. They might have been. But they weren't.

After killing a lot of deer, yotes, etc the absolute fastest killers were rounds that destroyed a lot of stuff inside and blew chunks out the other side. Which is another reason why I preferred a shotgun in Iraq.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 1:04:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Energy dump is rubbish.

You refer to bullets remaining lethal after exiting and yet they weren't. They might have been. But they weren't.

After killing a lot of deer, yotes, etc the absolute fastest killers were rounds that destroyed a lot of stuff inside and blew chunks out the other side. Which is another reason why I preferred a shotgun in Iraq.
View Quote

Every round fired caries a certain amount of energy, many are designed to utilize that energy to maximize tissue damage. By including the 18” minimum penetration standard, many of these rounds do not perform optimally in human targets.

Are you implying that a round that doesn’t hit a person is not potentially lethal and therefore not dangerous? Collateral damage in a war zone is considerably different than CONUS urban environments. Injuring innocent by standards is a major concern for us as the majority of our shootings occur within close proximity of innocent persons.

Your last point is an agreement with my statement. You prefer rounds that leave a giant gaping hole on the other side. You would not want a round that fails to expand sufficiently and leaves the coyote with a .22” exit wound. Your chosen coyote round is designed to transfer the majority of its energy through expansion or fragmentation to maximize tissue damage within the appropriate depth parameters for your target (coyote). Shoot the same coyote with a green tip 5.56 and tell me what the wound looks like (perhaps why you preferred the shotgun overseas)

When it comes to human targets, I argue that the FBI standard has left us with rounds designed for elk when we’re really hunting white tails.

I will concede that the baseball analogy falls apart as the energy transfer causes trauma in a less measurable way than a bullet wound.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 2:56:15 AM EDT
[#19]
We had some of their folks give the 9mm caliber change presentation, or whatever they call it, to some of us DOD folks.

Sounds like it was a confluence of factors, and one of the rare times when a bunch of their different sections - tactical operations, firearms training, tactical training, were all on the same page in terms of wanting to move on from .40. Some of the problems they had with .40 are pretty well publicized - the Glock 23s didn't work with weapon mounted lights, leading to mass usage of Glock 22s, which weren't very suitable for concealed carry, etc.

So their justification boiled down to "trauma surgeons can't tell what pistol caliber someone is shot with", and "new magic 9mm bullets". What was eye opening to me - at that time I was a pretty active competitive shooter, 3 gun, IDPA, IPSC, was what total bullshit the numbers they offered as justification for the change were. They claimed that they had a 9mm bullet that was expanding larger than .45 hollow point - something like ~.7" for recovered diameter, while still penetrating equal to the heavy .40SW loads, so 18+ inches. There was a fair amount that seemed legit - intermediate barrier performance, heavy cotton performance, and they would show the recovered bullets, which really weren't expanding, but were penetrating to the depths they thought were sufficient. But it really boiled down to "magic 9mm does mo better, mo bullets better, mo switch." And I actually got to ask their guys how this magic 9mm technology had somehow left .40 and .45 bullets behind - how was it that a .355" 147 grain projectile was somehow able to expand larger than a bullet which already started 20% or so precent larger, while carrying more weight, even though it was believed that there was an inverse relationship between projectile diameter and penetration depth. Why weren't their charts showing .40 180 grain Speer Gold Dot bullets expanding to .9 and also penetrating 16"+?. You could actually see the frustration on their faces, because it cut to the hearth of the whole spectacle. Their answer was just that .40 and .45 projectiles were already as advanced as they could get, the new "magic 9mm" improved on everything. But those figures (.7", 16+" penetration) comprised the executive summary that got shown to us at DOD and a bunch of other agencies, and the numbers were bullshit.

I don't believe a 147 grain bullet launched at ~1050 (these are standard pressure loads) could expand to .7 inches, and still penetrate to 18 or so inches. .40 can't really do that. .45 can barely do that consistently, and both of those cartridges have a ton more energy.

I'm not a 9mm basher, I think it has its place. But  some of these arguments are a slippery slope, and the new .30 Super Carry isn't the last foray into smaller, hyper capacity rounds. I think we'll soon have folks championing that round because "Doctors can't tell the difference". I still think .40 SW is the pinnacle of LE type loads, because it does everything a little better, at the expense of added recoil and moderately truncated capacity. I think agencies should give their folks choices, which is a lesson DOD hasn't really learned outside of some small circles. Pistols stop fights through blood and oxygen loss, which is a slow process. Somehow that leads some folks to think that .25 ACP and .45 ACP are roughly consistent...
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 7:52:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted: I don't believe a 147 grain bullet launched at ~1050 (these are standard pressure loads) could expand to .7 inches, and still penetrate to 18 or so inches. .40 can't really do that. .45 can barely do that consistently, and both of those cartridges have a ton more energy.
View Quote

And an upper mid-range 180grn 10mm XTP-HP (@ 1275fps) will meet or beat both of those stats.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 9:25:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Every round fired caries a certain amount of energy, many are designed to utilize that energy to maximize tissue damage. By including the 18” minimum penetration standard, many of these rounds do not perform optimally in human targets.

Are you implying that a round that doesn’t hit a person is not potentially lethal and therefore not dangerous? Collateral damage in a war zone is considerably different than CONUS urban environments. Injuring innocent by standards is a major concern for us as the majority of our shootings occur within close proximity of innocent persons.

Your last point is an agreement with my statement. You prefer rounds that leave a giant gaping hole on the other side. You would not want a round that fails to expand sufficiently and leaves the coyote with a .22” exit wound. Your chosen coyote round is designed to transfer the majority of its energy through expansion or fragmentation to maximize tissue damage within the appropriate depth parameters for your target (coyote). Shoot the same coyote with a green tip 5.56 and tell me what the wound looks like (perhaps why you preferred the shotgun overseas)

When it comes to human targets, I argue that the FBI standard has left us with rounds designed for elk when we’re really hunting white tails.

I will concede that the baseball analogy falls apart as the energy transfer causes trauma in a less measurable way than a bullet wound.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Energy dump is rubbish.

You're now conflating missed shots and rounds exiting bad guys. They are not the same thing. Just because a bullet can go through a wall it doesn't mean it's lethal. I mean if it goes through an eye cavity then ok.

This is what you said "By including the 18” minimum penetration standard, many of these rounds do not perform optimally in human targets"

18" is the maximum. Not the minimum. I understand mistakes but you're whole premise is that bullets leaving bad guys are killing others regularly. If you could gives multiple examples then you'd make a much better argument.

Greentip actually does pretty good on yotes. The most impressive non varmint bullet I've used on yotes is a 170gr swc at 1200fps from a. 357 pistol. It's results are similar to 250gr swc at 1000-1200fps from a .45. shattering both shoulders and spraying meat and bone for a dozen yards. Even when bone isn't hit a heavy fast swc works better than hollow points.

I know animals aren't people but I'm limited

My EDC is a .357mag with 158xtp @1200 because I'm confident in it getting to the vitals. I would be just as concerned about what's behind my target if I was shooting 125gr sjhp @1400fps.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:14:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Q says they switched to cause an ammo shortage so regular Joe couldn't get 9mm.  Mmkkkay

View Quote

Well if "Q" said it, then the loyal "have to trust the plan" right?

Seriously, the S&W 1076 has a HUGE & HEAVY Weapon and the official issued FBI 10mm "lite" offered no real advantage Vs. .40 S&W which could fit into a more compact and higher capacity 9mm format (Glock 22 & Glock 23)

The Switch to 9mm ammo is about getting the best accuracy results from non-shooters & others who are not firearms attuned or experiences.  Ultimately - ONLY HITS COUNT and it is easier to get hits with a 9mm than .40 or .45 (less recoil & more cartridges)

Statistical evidence says ALL Handgun rounds (9mm, .357 Sig,  .40S&W, 10 lite & .45 ACP) are all about equally effective (which is to say not very compared to a shotgun or carbine.

9mm ultimately outlasted the upstarts like .40 & .357 to "Win" the auto pistol cartridge race.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:40:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you’d be willing to send me the data of the over penetration issues I would appreciate it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 2:15:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If you’d be willing to send me the data of the over penetration issues I would appreciate it.
View Quote

The goal is to have a complete white paper prepared for release in time for the NTOA conference next year. We will likely be reviewing shootings for another 9 months until we meet our docs variables. Some of the things we’re waiting to confirm require more rare circumstances (odd trajectories/ bullet construction/ distances) but with murders and asssalts skyrocketing, it won’t take long.

What we’ve reviewed so far, has lead us to reevaluate some of our ammo selection and caused us to reach out to some people in the industry to assist.

None of us expect the results to be earth shattering, just like the difference between 9-40-45 is minimal. However, we have found enough differences for us to change our ammo recommendations in long guns. My hypothesis is well only see a small percentage of potential improvement on handguns if we see any at all.  

Nothing we find will change the shooting world forever but we may find ways to improve our effectiveness and reduce potential hazards in small measures.

My apologizes for typos and misspeaking, I’m writing these replies during short breaks from teaching a class out of town.

I’ll probably punch out of this thread until I can submit the final paper. I’m not able to convey all of the information effectively and I’m probably just disrupting the thread.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:29:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

They aren't choosing anything based on lethality. Are calibers are equally lethal.

The objective is to stop the bad guy, so incapacitation is what matters.

LE does not intend to kill. Intending to kill is murder. LE just wants to stop the bad guy. If the bad guy dies, that can happen when they are shot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bottom line: I think this isn't about choosing the most lethal handgun,

They aren't choosing anything based on lethality. Are calibers are equally lethal.

The objective is to stop the bad guy, so incapacitation is what matters.

LE does not intend to kill. Intending to kill is murder. LE just wants to stop the bad guy. If the bad guy dies, that can happen when they are shot.

That's not exactly true. People have gotten tripped up in court before because they decided to use rubber bullets, bean bag rounds and rubber buckshot, saying "I didn't want to kill him." You can't use a firearm in self-defense without intent to employ force that will cause death or great bodily harm. So, for self-defense with a firearm, whether you're LE or not, you have to have the intent to cause the attacker death or great injury. Claiming self-defense in court is an admission of all elements of an offense, just with the key difference being asserting justification.

This doesn't mean you can do an anchor shot to make sure he's dead. Death is an implicit risk of self-defense with a firearm. You have to be willing to take that risk to successfully claim it in court.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 1:08:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The shift to 9mm was led by the gun guys at FBI, because the training day can be longer with a lighter recoiling gun and their budget was annoyed at having to rebuild Glock 22s completely as often as you have to replace G19 magazine springs.
View Quote

How often does the Glock 22 need to be rebuilt? After how many arounds, typically?
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 1:10:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I think its a $$ thing.  the USG has purchased a metric ton of 9mm throughout the GWOT and now the wars are over.  As budgets across the USG are slashed, training ammo that has already been paid for and is already in the system is the logical solution.

View Quote

How much ammo do they have stored? I know its impossible to give a number but any description is better than none from those in the know.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 1:12:01 AM EDT
[#28]
I thought their agents can use what they want, as long as they qualify with it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 9:29:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I thought their agents can use what they want, as long as they qualify with it.
View Quote

LOL! ... Ah yeah,  no.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#30]
A 9mm doesn't take up as much room in their purse.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top