Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2021 3:01:18 PM EDT
On my bucket list for the past 55 years has been a Luger in decent shape and safe to shoot.

Caliber is less important than than price and function.

Any clues on what I should expect to pay or where I might fine one.

I'd love to have a matching gun in perfect condition but I don't have kidneys anyone would buy.

(kidneys are almost fubar.)

I know I am asking a lot and probably unobtanium!
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 3:18:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I want one too. I would think $1100 to $1400 avg or with matching # magazine one millllllion dollars.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 4:43:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I seen one, Nazi marked iirc, at Standard Issue Armory in southern Indiana.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 6:03:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bgenlvtex] [#3]
If you're going to buy one, buy it from someone who knows what they are selling you OR somebody who thinks guns are icky and just wants to get rid of it.

I would guess that WWI and  pre war (WWII)commercials will be a better buy than WWII guns and likely better guns. 30 Luger probably cheaper to acquire than 9mm. I have a passing interest , they are beautifully built guns but am not willing to invest the time ,effort and money to know what I'm buying.

Don't buy a story without provenance.

ETA; for a shooter the Russian reworks are probably te best bet
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 6:55:31 PM EDT
[#4]
You might keep an eye out at auctions.  A few years ago I got a decent double date 1917 Erfurt for about $850 after all the fees and shipping.  The magazine was not matching but the rest of the gun is.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 11:46:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Been on that quest myself for a few years now.  The best bet I've seen so far seems to be the CAI Russian captures.  Local shop has one, has had it for eons, but can't seem to decide if he wants to sell or not.

Luger world is a scary place.
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 3:03:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hans_Landa] [#6]
you can check places like simpson LTD, Cabelas online, and here on the EE.  I would say look for a Russian capture or VoPo Luger.  It'll be 9mm and should cost around $800-$1200
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 3:05:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bgenlvtex:
If you're going to buy one, buy it from someone who knows what they are selling you OR somebody who thinks guns are icky and just wants to get rid of it.

I would guess that WWI and  pre war (WWII)commercials will be a better buy than WWII guns and likely better guns. 30 Luger probably cheaper to acquire than 9mm. I have a passing interest , they are beautifully built guns but am not willing to invest the time ,effort and money to know what I'm buying.

View Quote

It's not.  In fact it's a lot more expensive right now.  About $1.32 a round.  Stick with finding a 9mm
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 7:05:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Hans_Landa:

It's not.  In fact it's a lot more expensive right now.  About $1.32 a round.  Stick with finding a 9mm
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I'm referring to the gun itself since the  OP says he doesnt care what caliber it is.
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 11:46:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hans_Landa] [#9]

I'm referring to the gun itself since the  OP says he doesnt care what caliber it is.
View Quote

That's true.  Just a quick search on Simpson Ltd,  as of now the cheapest 9mm Luger is $1895.  The cheapest. 30 Luger is going for around $1400
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 1:28:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bgenlvtex] [#10]

That's true.  Just a quick search on Simpson Ltd,  as of now the cheapest 9mm Luger is $1895.  The cheapest. 30 Luger is going for around $1400
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

For a nice collectible gun that can be shot I would be looking at commercial models, and would budget I the $1500-$2k range.

I think I would expect to pay the same for a much less nice (collectible)9mm

Example
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 11:35:31 AM EDT
[#11]
If at all possible buy a BYF41 or 42 if you want a shooter. They had all the improvements and the best steel.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 8:25:58 AM EDT
[#12]
I was on that same quest for years and was looking for commercial 1920s/early 1930s P08, but they’re going for way more than I’m will to pay, so I ended up with a nice 1974 Interarms Mauser “American Eagle” P08 in 9mm. Granted that it’s not 100% accurate to post WW1 commercial P08, but it scratches the itch.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 9:10:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 9:19:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: axl] [#14]
The terms "affordable and shootable" aren't applicable to a Luger. If its affordable then its most likely not shootable. They are old guns. Good luck. They are out there but hard to find. As suggested, spend the $ and get a god one from a reputable source.

Proxibid - Search was  P08 , auctions ending earliest

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top