Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2020 6:51:16 PM EDT
Alright, so I've never owned or shot a Beretta.

I want something with some military history behind the design/model and something US made.

Totally fine with an older model or version. Something with some history would be great.

I've read a lot on M9s and 92s but I'm still pretty confused.

Leaning towards an M9A1. Are all M9A1s technically military handguns? I don't know how that works. They are sold a lot of places online alongside civilian handguns so just a little confused.
Are these still used by the military?
Is the M9A3 worth the extra money? I really like the FDE but it's a least a few hundred more than the M9A1

What version of the 92FS is a US Military gun? (if there is one)

And somewhat unrelated, but what model did or does the US Navy use? Just curious

Really appreciate any general help.

Basically just looking for the "best" US Military Beretta.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 7:19:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Are all M9A1s technically military handguns? I don't know how that works. They are sold a lot of places online alongside civilian handguns so just a little confused.
Are these still used by the military?
View Quote
Every M9A1 is a commercial handgun. The ones which happened to be purchased by the USMC were procured as COTS (Commercial Off-The-Shelf) weapons for issue to units like FAST. I don't know if they're still in service there, but they had the exact same markings as a "civilian" Beretta 92FS Type M9A1 because that's what they are. The ones I saw in USMC hands were manufactured in TN.

What version of the 92FS is a US Military gun? (if there is one)
View Quote
The USMC M9A1, and the older M9 (which was procured by the US military (DLA) under contract and relevant MILSPEC acceptance). The military-issue M9 is not the same as the commercial M9 which Beretta offers to civilians, but it's pretty close. The most noticeable differences are the PB logo on the slide, a C under the drawing number marked on the hammer, and the serial number beginning with an M9- prefix.

Original (~1985) M9 production was based on the 92F model, and was later revised with the 92FS addition of a hammer pin with a large head, and corresponding groove in the slide. This was done in order to retain the rear portion of the slide in case it broke in half (which was extremely rare, happened to a SEAL once during a weapons demo, and was ultimately determined to be caused by an inferior batch of slide steel). Those slides were replaced, along with all the original 92F design M9 slides, and replaced with 92FS design M9 slides and the larger hammer pins retrofitted. Subsequent production included these revisions from the factory.

And somewhat unrelated, but what model did or does the US Navy use? Just curious
View Quote
As far as I know just the plain old M9.

Basically just looking for the "best" US Military Beretta.
View Quote
Theoretically you could find a real government-issue M9 sold as a General Officer's pistol by the US military to a USA or USAF general (including USARNG and USANG) retiring at the rank of O7 or higher, but they are extremely rare.

Otherwise just get Beretta's commercial M9. If you buy the M9A1 you'll literally have the same pistol the USMC issued.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 7:35:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
Every M9A1 is a commercial handgun. The ones which happened to be purchased by the USMC were procured as COTS (Commercial Off-The-Shelf) weapons for issue to units like FAST. I don't know if they're still in service there, but they had the exact same markings as a "civilian" Beretta 92FS Type M9A1 because that's what they are. The ones I saw in USMC hands were manufactured in TN.

The USMC M9A1, and the older M9 (which was procured by the US military (DLA) under contract (and relevant MILSPEC acceptance). The military-issue M9 is not the same as the commercial M9 which Beretta offers to civilians, but it's pretty close. The most noticeable differences are the PB logo on the slide, a C under the drawing number marked on the hammer, and the serial number beginning with an M9- prefix.

Original (~1985) M9 production was based on the 92F model, and was later revised with the FS addition of a hammer pin with a large head, and corresponding groove in the slide. This was done in order to retain the rear portion of the slide in case it broke in half (which was extremely rare, happened to a SEAL once during a weapons demo, and was ultimately determined to be caused by an inferior batch of slide steel. Those slides were replaced, along with all the original 92F design M9 slides, and replaced with 92FS design M9 slides and the larger hammer pins retrofitted. Subsequent production included these revisions from the factory.

As far as I know just the plain old M9.

Theoretically you could find a real government-issue M9 sold as a General Officers pistol by the US military to a USA or USAF general (including USARNG and USANG) retiring at the rank of O7 or higher, but they are extremely rare.

Otherwise just get Beretta's commercial M9. If you buy the M9A1 you'll literally have the same pistol the USMC issued.
View Quote

Thank you so much! Very helpful.

Is the M9A1 a variation of the 92FS?
I see a lot of sellers listing them this way.

So would you say that the M9A1 is only used by the Marines, but the regular M9 (commercial) is what all other branches use for the most part? Or are they also using the 92FS?
Sorry if you said it above. Having a hard time following along for some reason.

I can get the A1 and the FS for the same price new. Just looking for the one that is more closely tied to the military (sorry if that sounds dumb). Or are they both? Still a little confused I guess.

How do the M9A1 and M9A3 compare? Does the military still use the A1 or are they fully moved over to the A3? Is the A3 worth several hundred more dollars?
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 8:01:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
You're welcome.

Here's a real military M9 with great reference photos: https://pre98.com/shop/documented-genuine-us-air-force-issued-m9-beretta-pistol-general-officer-issued-pistol-gen-officer-holster-mint/

So, in general, the M9A1 would be more "military connected" than the 92FS?
Yeah, because it'd be identical to an M9A1 that certain Marines would've carried.

I can get the A1 and the FS for the same price new. Just looking for the one that is more closely tied to the military (sorry if that sounds dumb). Or are they both? Still a little confused I guess.
You have to consider that Beretta's model 92 was around long before the US military considered adopting it (as a result of the XM9 trials in the early 1980s). The 92F was a version specifically intended for those trials, and that's what eventually won the bid solicitation and became the M9.

Before that, there was the 92S (which can be found on the surplus market now).

Basically there isn't much difference between a commercial 1986 Beretta 92F and an early/original US military M9 (just the markings). As you go later in time, the commercial production 92F and 92FS guns experienced a number of changes (design revisions) which weren't applied to US military production M9 pistols because they were locked into producing strictly under the MILSPEC TDP (Technical Data Package). The FS revision was approved by the government (and performed at the request of the government), so that change was incorporated into the TDP, but not later commercial revisions such as the slanted dust cover (introduced for the .40 S&W model 96), rear back strap radius cut (as found on the M9A1), improved locking block, plastic guide rod, plastic composite trigger, etc.) so those changes won't be observed throughout US military M9 production.

The M9 Beretta sells today is made to be closer to a government M9 but of course there are minor differences.

How do the M9A1 and M9A3 compare? Does the military still use the A1 or are they fully moved over to the A3?
Our military never adopted the A2 or the A3, opting instead for the new SIG pistol.

Is the A3 worth several hundred more dollars?
That's completely up to the buyer, but I personally don't think so.

I purchased an M9A1 and a threaded barrel to swap into it.

I like the standard (non-Vertec) grip, didn't need night sights or a replaceable front sight and, like you, I wanted something with US military heritage. It all comes down to personal preference.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 8:10:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I don’t have much knowledge on the specific differences between commercial and .mil issue models, but I can say that I’ve only ever seen standard M9s in .mil hands.  There were a relatively smallish number of M9A1s in use by the USMC.

As for M9s, we still have a crap ton of them in our armory (USAF), but there’s been a heavy push to transition to the M18 as quickly as possible.  I think the units I work with are close to 95% transitioned to M18 with 100% swap completion within the next few months.

With that said, the standard M9 is still in use with a few units and they probably will be for at least another couple of years.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 8:12:59 PM EDT
[#5]
You're welcome.

Here's a real military M9 with great reference photos: https://pre98.com/shop/documented-genuine-us-air-force-issued-m9-beretta-pistol-general-officer-issued-pistol-gen-officer-holster-mint/

Yeah, because it'd be identical to an M9A1 that certain Marines would've carried.

You have to consider that Beretta's model 92 was around long before the US military considered adopting it (as a result of the XM9 trials in the early 1980s). The 92F was a version specifically intended for those trials, and that's what eventually won the bid solicitation and became the M9.

Before that, there was the 92S (which can be found on the surplus market now).

Basically there isn't much difference between a commercial 1986 Beretta 92F and an early/original US military M9 (just the markings). As you go later in time, the commercial production 92F and 92FS guns experienced a number of changes (design revisions) which weren't applied to US military production M9 pistols because they were locked into producing strictly under the MILSPEC TDP (Technical Data Package). The FS revision was approved by the government (and performed at the request of the government), so that change was incorporated into the TDP, but not later commercial revisions such as the slanted dust cover (introduced for the .40 S&W model 96), rear back strap radius cut (as found on the M9A1), improved locking block, plastic guide rod, plastic composite trigger, etc.) so those changes won't be observed throughout US military M9 production.

The M9 Beretta sells today is made to be closer to a government M9 but of course there are minor differences.

Our military never adopted the A2 or the A3, opting instead for the new SIG pistol.

That's completely up to the buyer, but I personally don't think so.

I purchased an M9A1 and a threaded barrel to swap into it. 

I like the standard (non-Vertec) grip, didn't need night sights or a replaceable front sight and, like you, I wanted something with US military heritage. It all comes down to personal preference.
View Quote

Thanks again! I really appreciate these in depth responses. Trying to learn a lot quickly so I apologize for the stupid questions.
Those photos of the military M9 are awesome.
I had edited some of my first response. So I just have a few quick questions.

1. I totally forgot the military didn't adapt the M1A3 at all, so for me, that knocks it out of the competition.

2. Is the M9A1 technically a variation of the 92FS?

3. And to sum things up, would you say that the M9A1 is only used by the Marines, but the regular M9 (commercial) is what all other branches use for the most part?

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is the M9A1 technically a variation of the 92FS?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Is the M9A1 technically a variation of the 92FS?
Yes, and technically many of Beretta's commercial models could be considered variations of the 92FS.

The M9A1 is listed specifically as Model 92FS Type M9A1 and says both on the gun.

And to sum things up, would you say that the M9A1 is only used by the Marines, but the regular M9 (commercial) is what all other branches use for the most part?
The M9A1 was only issued to a few Marines, and only within certain specific USMC units (very smallish number) like RJeff21 said. Most of the USMC still carried (carries?) the standard M9 (government M9, not commercial).

I'm not aware of any other service branches having the M9A1.

The 92FS Type M9A1 is commercial, and the one you can buy is the same pistol the USMC bought.

The standard-issue M9 used by most of the US military was not sold commercially, and you won't find a real one unless you look really hard and pay an insane amount of money, but like I said the commercial M9 is pretty close.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 8:51:51 PM EDT
[#7]
As someone who qualified w/ the M9 both in the Navy Reserve and the National Guard, I despise the thing precisely b/c of the specifications the Army foisted on Beretta - the firing-pin block safety way the hell up on the slide.  I don't have small hands but that safety is in the wrong place for a handgun.  Beretta had it right the first time w/ the safety on the frame, which Taurus still makes as the PT92.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, and technically many of Beretta's commercial models could be considered variations of the 92FS.

The M9A1 is listed specifically as Model 92FS Type M9A1 and says both on the gun.

The M9A1 was only issued to a few Marines, and only within certain specific USMC units (very smallish number) like RJeff21 said. Most of the USMC still carried (carries?) the standard M9 (government M9, not commercial).

I'm not aware of any other service branches having the M9A1.

The 92FS Type M9A1 is commercial, and the one you can buy is the same pistol the USMC bought.

The standard-issue M9 used by most of the US military was not sold commercially, and you won't find a real one unless you look really hard and pay an insane amount of money, but like I said the commercial M9 is pretty close.
View Quote

Thanks again!

So, to sum it up, the only commercially available Beretta that the US Military has actually used in some capacity, is the M1A1 correct?
If so, that definitely makes my decision for me!

Are all M9A1s made in the US?

Learning so much. Thanks again!
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:15:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So, to sum it up, the only commercially available Beretta that the US Military has actually used in some capacity, is the M9A1 correct?
If so, that definitely makes my decision for me!

Learning so much. Thanks again!
View Quote
Yes, when being strictly technical.

Some people buy Beretta's commercial M9 and say, "It's the same as the service pistol."

It isn't, but it's close enough for most consumers.

I have an old 1986 Beretta 92F that I put a real (early production) M9 slide on, and an M9 (not commercial) hammer, and it's close enough for me. Obviously the frame markings don't match a real M9, but the slide and hammer markings do. I call it my M9 poser pistol.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:22:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Are all M9A1s made in the US?
View Quote
No. Some were manufactured in Italy and some were manufactured in TN.

Be wary of any TN pistols produced in the last few years though. Some have had machining deficiencies, and really need to be inspected in-person to ensure you get a good one. I purposely bought an older 2011 M9A1 to avoid having to worry about sloppy production concerns.

I'm not saying they're all bad, but in the past none were bad.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:36:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:59:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I did close to the same. Commercial M9 frame, early contract M9 slide, contract barrel, locking block, and hammer. As it sits, other than the M9 prefix of the SN, it’s the same as what I was issued 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:04:04 PM EDT
[#13]
No. Some were manufactured in Italy and some were manufactured in TN.

Be weary of any TN pistols produced in the last few years though. Some have had machining deficiencies, and really need to be inspected in-person to ensure you get a good one. I purposely bought an older 2011 M9A1 to avoid having to worry about sloppy production concerns. 

I'm not saying they're all bad, but in the past none were bad.
View Quote

By machining deficiencies do you mean cosmetic or mechanics of the gun?
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:11:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
By machining deficiencies do you mean cosmetic or mechanics of the gun?
View Quote
Mostly cosmetic, but sometimes you get things like this exposed spring, which is now susceptible to rubbing against the frame and causing wear/damage. It should be contained within the slide wall.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Handguns/Current-manufacture-Berettas-Tennessee-/15-193167/#i2216931

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Handguns/Why-do-Berettas-have-wonky-asymmetrical-slides-/15-191838/
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:14:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Mostly cosmetic, but sometimes you get things like this exposed spring, which is now susceptible to rubbing against the frame and causing wear/damage. It should be contained within the slide wall.

https://i.imgur.com/yUatOEH.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Handguns/Current-manufacture-Berettas-Tennessee-/15-193167/#i2216931

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Handguns/Why-do-Berettas-have-wonky-asymmetrical-slides-/15-191838/
View Quote

So even brand new guns have these issues? Beretta hasn’t fixed that in years? Doesn’t make me feel great.
Figures it’s the gun I decide on!

I’ve heard Beretta has great customer service. Wouldn’t they fix something like that under warranty?
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 9:40:37 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd really like to get a new M9A1.

Any pointers on what I should look out for if there are issues with machining and/or broken internal parts?

Thanks guys

Link Posted: 5/6/2020 3:46:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Shoot Straight in Florida has a great deal on the M9A1.  Use their website, call, or use Gun Broker.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/867638226

The 92FS Inox I just bought from Shoot Straight is Tennessee made and looks pretty good.  The gentleman I talked with said those have been looking better than the Italian ones.  Who knows.  Heavy double action trigger.  I have not shot it yet.  If you order from them ask them to look it over good and also inspect at your transfer dealer when it comes in.

The Beretta is an iconic pistol and I wanted one for that purpose and to go with my Beretta shotguns.  They are not without some ergonomic drawbacks.  I also really like 92X Centurion, but I opted for a more iconic pistol.

You may also notice some sites or Gun Broker listings will use extra tags that are not accurate to help draw hits to their guns.  That may add some misunderstanding.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I went with a hybrid approach. I bought a M9A1, but put a M9 slide on it. I like the M9 slide because it is a fixed sight system.

I also got a M9A3, which I recommend as well. They are not used by the military but it is everything I wanted with a M9A1.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 4:59:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I just bought my first 92FS this last year when I found an Italian made one in nearly new condition at my favorite pawn shop for cheap. It’s a great gun. I liked it so much I bought a surplus 92S as a companion piece.
      I like shopping gunbroker and local gun shows for mags that will work in both with cut out holes for the Euro-trash mag release and the proper one placed  by God and John Browning.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 6:37:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I went with a hybrid approach. I bought a M9A1, but put a M9 slide on it. I like the M9 slide because it is a fixed sight system.

I also got a M9A3, which I recommend as well. They are not used by the military but it is everything I wanted with a M9A1.
View Quote
Don't understand this comment. The sights are the same on the M9 and M9A1
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd buy the M9A3. You can find them in the $6-700 range if you know where to look.

Sure, it's not used currently by the military, but it's the pinnacle of that design and what the M9 should have been from the start.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 9:31:46 PM EDT
[#22]
One thing that's not been mentioned is the 92FS models all have a fixed front sight. Makes it damn near impossible to install a night sight there. The other models have a dovetailed front sight, much more friendly to swapping in night sights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top