Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2019 4:09:18 PM EDT
With the LCR and LCRx, is there any reason for going with a SP101 instead?

And to specify, chambered in .357 and with 3" or less barrels.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 4:38:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 3 inch sp101 357mag, never carry it, ruger builds em like tanks so they are heavy, good for shooting bad fo all day carry switched to an airweight s&w 38spl amd a s&w shield.

Snowman357
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 5:02:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I've tried different IWB holsters with it, and the thing starts to cause significant discomfort after only a few minutes.

A flat-sided pistol is quite a bit comfier.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 7:35:09 PM EDT
[#3]
The only advantage I see in an SP101 over an LCR is that the heavier weight will soak up recoil better. But, for that weight, the cylinder should hold 6 instead of 5...
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 9:27:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've tried different IWB holsters with it, and the thing starts to cause significant discomfort after only a few minutes.

A flat-sided pistol is quite a bit comfier.
View Quote
This.

I never found a good way to carry a revolver of any size because of the rOUNd cylinder.

1911s and single stack Glocks are the best thing since sliced bread.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 9:40:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Your wrist.

Just ordered a 9x19mm SP101, should be a fun gun w/ occasional carry.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 9:00:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Carry one with some frequency.  Definitely requires a holster; much to heavy for pocket carry.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 7:10:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:  Carry one with some frequency.  Definitely requires a holster; much to heavy for pocket carry.
View Quote
I keep hearing this gun is too big or too heavy - I pocket carry a Glock 23.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 9:16:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a sp101 357 with 2.25" barrel and with .38 +p ammo, it is a dream to shoot. Of course with .38 ammo it is very tame but compare it to a S&W lightweight revolver, it makes a big difference. The weight is heavier than the S&W revolvers, which is not a problem for me, but the problem arises due to the width of it. Mine is a night stand gun and fits the role perfectly. I love the rubber grips more so than the S&W variants.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 10:28:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I carried a 2 1/4" SP101 with bobbed hammer for backup at my PD job and off duty for a few years. We were restricted by policy to only carry .38+P ammo, no .357 at all.

Overall, I loved the SP101. While it is heavier and chunkier than some other options, I think that the curves and rounded cylinder actually helped with concealment. The rounded edges may print a little more, but because they are rounded, they look more "organic" than the sharp, flat edges of an auto and look more like folds or rolls in your clothes and make hiding it easier.

With being restricted to .38+P only, the weight of the SP made shooting a breeze. Very little recoil or muzzle rise at all. Even with occasionally shooting .357 on my own time, the SP was heavy enough that .357 was very doable, if you have the choice. No pain but longer time between shots because of the heavier recoil and larger muzzle flip.

For me, the factory rubber grips with the inlayed panels fit my hands like they were made for it, making the gun very comfortable to hold. The slightly squared grip also made it very easy for me to index in my hand. After a couple of range sessions to acquaint myself with the gun and it's feel, I was able to index the gun in my hand very easily and even point shooting out to 7 yds was very easy. Out of all the guns I have shot and carried, I can honestly say that the grip shape of the SP made it the easiest to index and hold than any of the others.

When I got mine, the trigger was awful. Heavy, long and VERY gritty. The action was so full of dirt and chips that it seemed that Ruger was saving money by dumping the floor sweepings into the guns getting shipped out and not having trash service. The ease of stripping the SP (and the GP100, for that matter) made cleaning a breeze. It was still a little gritty, so I GENTLY stoned the action parts to remove burrs. After that, the gun was smoother than most S&W revolvers I have shot. The trigger was a little heavier because I left the factory springs in it, but it was SMOOOOOTH, which also helped with shooting it.

Maybe I lucked out, but the gun was also eerily accurate with the PD's revolver ammo of the time, Winchester's 125gr +P Silvertips. When I did my part with sight alignment and trigger management, hitting a silhouette target out to 50 yds was easy. The gun wasn't as accurate with the cheap, reloaded practice ammo the PD was buying, but it was still easy to shoot well. Most snubby revolvers are a LOT more accurate than people give them credit for because of how hard they usually are to shoot, but the SP was easy for a snubby.

The only real drawback is the low capacity and slow reloads. When I was carrying my SP, I practiced reloads with speed loaders and speed strips every range session. I was pretty good at the time, but still quite a bit slower than reloading an auto. Because of this, when budget restrictions at the PD mandated that we were working with 1 guy on most shifts and we were considered to be on call 24/7 when in town and off duty, I switched to an auto for off duty use. While I didn't have a problem using the SP for self defense, the idea of having to run towards the sound of the guns when off duty with my SP and a couple of speed loaders if something ever happened didn't make me feel warm and fuzzy. I switched to my Glock 26, then (and still) to my 9mm S&W Shield for off duty use. If we ever get to where we have more than 1 guy on a shift and aren't on call 24/7, I would strongly consider switching back to my SP101 for off duty use. Self defense, OK. Possible offensive use, not good.

Give the SP a try. If you like revolvers, the SP is a good choice and will serve you well. Just make sure to practice reloads. They are slow and awkward and you really need to practice them so you don't fumble if you need to do it under stress.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 6:42:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I carried a 2 1/4" SP101 with bobbed hammer for backup at my PD job and off duty for a few years. We were restricted by policy to only carry .38+P ammo, no .357 at all.

Overall, I loved the SP101. While it is heavier and chunkier than some other options, I think that the curves and rounded cylinder actually helped with concealment. The rounded edges may print a little more, but because they are rounded, they look more "organic" than the sharp, flat edges of an auto and look more like folds or rolls in your clothes and make hiding it easier.

With being restricted to .38+P only, the weight of the SP made shooting a breeze. Very little recoil or muzzle rise at all. Even with occasionally shooting .357 on my own time, the SP was heavy enough that .357 was very doable, if you have the choice. No pain but longer time between shots because of the heavier recoil and larger muzzle flip.

For me, the factory rubber grips with the inlayed panels fit my hands like they were made for it, making the gun very comfortable to hold. The slightly squared grip also made it very easy for me to index in my hand. After a couple of range sessions to acquaint myself with the gun and it's feel, I was able to index the gun in my hand very easily and even point shooting out to 7 yds was very easy. Out of all the guns I have shot and carried, I can honestly say that the grip shape of the SP made it the easiest to index and hold than any of the others.

When I got mine, the trigger was awful. Heavy, long and VERY gritty. The action was so full of dirt and chips that it seemed that Ruger was saving money by dumping the floor sweepings into the guns getting shipped out and not having trash service. The ease of stripping the SP (and the GP100, for that matter) made cleaning a breeze. It was still a little gritty, so I GENTLY stoned the action parts to remove burrs. After that, the gun was smoother than most S&W revolvers I have shot. The trigger was a little heavier because I left the factory springs in it, but it was SMOOOOOTH, which also helped with shooting it.

Maybe I lucked out, but the gun was also eerily accurate with the PD's revolver ammo of the time, Winchester's 125gr +P Silvertips. When I did my part with sight alignment and trigger management, hitting a silhouette target out to 50 yds was easy. The gun wasn't as accurate with the cheap, reloaded practice ammo the PD was buying, but it was still easy to shoot well. Most snubby revolvers are a LOT more accurate than people give them credit for because of how hard they usually are to shoot, but the SP was easy for a snubby.

The only real drawback is the low capacity and slow reloads. When I was carrying my SP, I practiced reloads with speed loaders and speed strips every range session. I was pretty good at the time, but still quite a bit slower than reloading an auto. Because of this, when budget restrictions at the PD mandated that we were working with 1 guy on most shifts and we were considered to be on call 24/7 when in town and off duty, I switched to an auto for off duty use. While I didn't have a problem using the SP for self defense, the idea of having to run towards the sound of the guns when off duty with my SP and a couple of speed loaders if something ever happened didn't make me feel warm and fuzzy. I switched to my Glock 26, then (and still) to my 9mm S&W Shield for off duty use. If we ever get to where we have more than 1 guy on a shift and aren't on call 24/7, I would strongly consider switching back to my SP101 for off duty use. Self defense, OK. Possible offensive use, not good.

Give the SP a try. If you like revolvers, the SP is a good choice and will serve you well. Just make sure to practice reloads. They are slow and awkward and you really need to practice them so you don't fumble if you need to do it under stress.
View Quote
Not gonna lie, you probably just sold me on buying one...
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 9:53:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I also carried one year’s back as an off duty gun before a semi became more appropriate in my area due to more multiple armed bad guy incidents happening at any given time. Mine had a 3” magnaported bbl that helped with full power loads. My carry load was 125 jhp. Like the above post advised you are limited in your ammo capacity. I would carry a bianchi speed strip that held 6 rounds  giving me 11 overall, comparable to a sub comp/ comp auto with no extra mag. Accuracy was good and recoil manageable. I carried it in a desantis convertible holster. It was a iwb with a clip but had belt loops on the opposite side for outside belt carry. Its also the weapon I taught my petite wife to shoot with using 38 wc loads to build her confidence. The only upgrade I have recently considered doing to it is having a tritium front sight blade installed since I’m now using trifocals.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 10:25:59 AM EDT
[#12]
i have a 2.25 357 mag. weighs bout the same as my g27. put a hogue grip on it and full power 357 mags are not too bad to shoot. love mine. handfull of whoopass if you ask me.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 11:37:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Not gonna lie, you probably just sold me on buying one...
View Quote
Do it. If you like revolvers and are comfortable with carrying one, you won't regret it. They are a little brick, but they work VERY well.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 12:27:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've got the same exact gun coming this week.  Bought a 6inch GP100 a few months ago and liked it so much its getting me back into revolvers.  Looking to maybe have the SP101 replace my LCP for pocket carry.  Were you able to comfortably carry yours in your pocket?  Most of my pockets are pretty big, don't think size will be an issue but am wondering if weight will be too much.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I've got the same exact gun coming this week.  Bought a 6inch GP100 a few months ago and liked it so much its getting me back into revolvers.  Looking to maybe have the SP101 replace my LCP for pocket carry.  Were you able to comfortably carry yours in your pocket?  Most of my pockets are pretty big, don't think size will be an issue but am wondering if weight will be too much.  
View Quote
I won't lie, the SP101 is likely to be entirely too heavy for pocket carry. The thing is a heavy chunk of steel. I did it exactly once. My wife and I were walking at our local walking trail and there were a couple guys vandalizing the trail. I said something to them as we walked past, not bad, just along the lines of, "Do you think that's really a good idea?" We then kept walking. When we walked back, they were there waiting for us. We had to walk there to get to our car and I saw them before they saw us. I drew from my usual IWB and put the SP in my right front pocket so I could just put my hand in my pocket and not look like I was ready for trouble. I also called 911 and got the cavalry coming. They saw us and started approaching, yelling and trying to fight when the cavalry arrived. They went to jail, we went home, no muss, no fuss. The trouble was, when I wasn't holding it in my pocket, it was HEAVY and really weighed my pocket down. I was amazed that they didn't see it, it drooped the pocket so badly because of the weight. It may work in the pocket of a heavy winter coat, something like a heavy Carhartt coat, but for pants pocket carry, probably not a good idea.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 10:07:58 PM EDT
[#17]
The SP101 is a great compromise for a concealed carry .357 Magnum revolver.

It's about 5" heavier than a J-Magnum frame S&W Model 60, but about 7 ounces lighter than a K frame Model 66.

I'm mystified by the folks who claim it's heavy to carry.  With a good quality carry belt and a good IWB holster my 2 1/2" S&W 686+ is comfortable to carry all day long - as in sun up to well after sun down.  The 3" SP101 weighs 30 oz loaded compared to 40 oz for 2 1/2" 686+, and it's much smaller form factor makes it much easier to conceal.

The 36 oz 2 1/2" Model 66 and the 40 oz 2 1/2" 686+ are relatively pleasant to shoot with a .357 Mag self defense load, while the 25 oz 3" Model 60 really isn't all that pleasant to shoot.  The 30 oz 3" SP 101 splits the difference and is comparatively light to carry, but still heavy enough to enable you to shoot it effectively and comfortable enough that you'll shoot it often enough to get good with it.

One thing people fail to realize is that a revolver has its maximum width in the cylinder and is thin through the rest of it's form.   In contrast, a pistol is fairly uniform in width and takes up much more volume over all.  As a result a 2/12" or 3" snub nose revolver is actually easier to conceal than a 9mm para pistol, even a compact 9mm para pistol.

On the left (top to bottom) is a 2 1/2" S&W 696+, a 2 3/4" Ruger Speed Six, and a 2 1/2" S&W Model 66.  On the right top to bottom is a 3" Ruger SP101 and a 3" S&W Model 60.

Here on the left (top to bottom) is a 3" Model 13, a 2 3/4"  Speed Six and a 2 1/2" Model 66.  On the right is a 3" SP101, a 3" Model 60 and a 2 1/8" Model 60.

Link Posted: 8/20/2019 8:04:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I recently purchased a SP101 9mm from an Arfcommer and it is now my main CC gun.  I just love it.  No way near as heavy as others make it out to be.  And conceals way better than my G19.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 7:40:30 PM EDT
[#19]
My SP-101 2.25" 357 mag is one of my favorite snub nose carry revolvers. Granted, I mainly CCW it in the late fall/winter when I'm wearing a tucked in shirt with vest or jacket. Somewhat heavy for a 5-shot revolver sure, but in my Garrett Silent Thunder OWB holster and a quality belt I don't know I have it on. Great little revolver that people over look because they claim it's too heavy. Baloney.

https://www.giholsters.com/product-p/hst1000.htm

Link Posted: 8/21/2020 7:54:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I've been pocket carrying one on and off-duty for 20+ years.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 10:12:31 PM EDT
[#21]
I appendix carry 3” SP101 327fed. Comfortable, 6 rounds. Carry it in an ElPaso leather iwb holster.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 4:45:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Early last year I scored a LNIB Ruger Speed Six .357 mag w/2.75" barrel. It came with a ton of accessories including a IWB holster? Never considered carrying IWB for such a large revolver until this package arrived. It came with a SHADO K-143 IWB (K stands for K frame S&W) which the Speed Six fits in like a glove. I can carry it comfortably and all day at the 2:30 position. At 2 o'clock it leans to far out, and at 3 o'clock I don't like the feel even though revolver is secure to body. Everyone is different I understand.....

So I bought a SHADO IWB holster for my beloved SP-101 357 mag w/2.25" barrel. Fits great and carry it at 2:30 also all day long with no qualms or complaints. I will be honest and admit I mainly carry both mentioned revolvers in OWB quality manufactured holsters. But if I'm in a hurry out the door don't be surprised if I grap the SP-101 and clip on to my belt. Oh, and a quality wide/thick belt is the ticket carrying a revolver IWB. And I'm more of a revolver CCW carrier in the late fall/winter into spring months due to heavier clothing. Hope this helps even though thread is over a year old...

Link Posted: 11/9/2020 1:01:07 PM EDT
[#23]
The SP101 is definitely nicer if shooting full magnum loads, but you can forget pocket carry. It's a beefy gun.

If you are fine with IWB or OWB, it's a better shooting gun for sure.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 1:46:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Now that it's finally fall & it's cool enough for a jacket at least in the mornings, I'm enjoying throwing the 9x19mm into the jacket pocket.  The pocket zips so it even has retention, lol.

Moon clips are the bomb.  It loads & unloads faster than anything.

Browsing on Gunbroker, I see @ one time Ruger offered a 3" 9x19mm, so will have to see if I can track that bbl down or pay Ruger to swap it out.  Then I'll have to have bigger pockets sewn.

Put my cell phone & KelTec .32 on the opposite side, so the jacket somewhat balances out, but I have to keep the coat zipper zipped @ least @ the bottom to keep the Ruger from swinging everywhere.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#25]
If you see or feel hammer drag and have feeler gauges, there is an SP101 shim kit that did wonders for when I had an SP101. With the way the SP101 breaks down its an easy thing to do!
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 5:23:55 PM EDT
[#26]
The SP101 is a dandy, but it's also hefty.  The heft is good in terms of shootability as even full house 357's aren't really that bad, the downside is that it's not as comfy to carry as some others.   Built like a tank too and if I may say, quite handsome.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Conceals fine in my jacket pocket.  Critical Defense through the leather for the win.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Never have had a DA steel Ruger even in my hand in my hand to feel, so no info there.  

Bub’s SilverTip125 accuracy comment is interesting.  In the later 1980’s-1990’s, the FB1’s last “.38” load was a Federal 147 grain Hydra-Shok +P+ load.  Umpteen thousands of them contributed to frame window stretching and 3 gut and rebuilds of a 1975 S&W 66-nothing now around 85,000 rounds and flame cutting a bit of the top strap.

What fool would shoot that?  A fool who had benched every issued (therefore free) load and found that the 147+P+ shot groups one half the size of any Match factory target wadcutters from that 66-x.

Very low-no flash even indoors on agency Winter Bullseye course targets.

The real hoot was shooting in an indoor Winter City Police Bullseye League in which I did all stages Double Action.  The cops thought I was crazy shooting a stock form service revolver against semi autos and PPC guns AND even crazier to use the +P+.  It didn’t flash, but it was loud.  Plugs and muffs.  They quit laughing when the scores were Master Class Bullseye as the Winters went along.  Then it was just that F’n Fed in jest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top