Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 45
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 9:34:48 AM EDT
[#1]
@BIG_IRON1911 Nice 1911! Is that a Fusion? Gotta love Microtech and Gun pics!!!

It is! I have a couple of Fusions I love them!
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 03RN:

Grizzle makes some well made holsters. I love all mine
View Quote

Grizzle is absolutely top notch leather goods.  

Link Posted: 8/19/2020 12:00:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: doubleclaw] [#3]
Originally Posted By x_red_beard_x:
@doubleclaw Man, I've done a few 24 hour fasts, but I couldn't imagine a 72 hour fast. I'd seriously be on edge if I was that hangry haha. I notice portions make a big difference for me. Also, fast food kills me. It's easy for the wife and I to go grab something on the way somewhere instead of making food before we leave. I love eating out at restaurants, but dang that will pack on pounds like crazy. I found a pretty cool mountain bike group than does a ride every Tuesday at a local park. Last Tuesday, I burnt around 1200 calories. The nice thing with biking is that I don't feel broken the next day like I do with running. I'm 6'4" and 245lbs, I've never been good with running, I'm sure if I would do it more often I could get it into a schedule. Biking works much better for me. I enjoy it, plus I can push myself much farther than I can with running and not have the knee and ankle pain the next day. I'll check out Cole Robinson though! Thank you sir!

@03RN Nice shooting sir! I love the simplicity of that Springfield with those Pachmayr grips

@BIG_IRON1911 Nice 1911! Is that a Fusion? Gotta love Microtech and Gun pics!!!
View Quote

@x_red_beard_x The "Snake Diet" plan isn't so bad if you remember to stay hydrated and keep your electrolyte levels up. A 72 is pretty tough if you're in a place where there is plentiful good food readily available, but it's super easy in a place like where I'm at right now, because the food is very hard to get excited about on a good day, and absolutely horrible on a bad one.

I agree about biking. If I ran with the same intensity that I rode my bike, I'd be a cripple within a week, but riding has definitely saved my running game, and I'm working up toward a five mile run every other day. Not to worried about the speed at this point - I just want to get there, then as I repeat that mileage, speed will come on its own.

The fasting routine definitely helps in one noticeable way: The less weight I'm carrying, the better I feel when I run!
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 4:01:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Todays carry
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 9:15:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Got the 1911 back into serious rotation. In these warmer days, I really got to keep lube on the gun. Took the lady and the doggie for a walk at a local state park last night. Took one of my favorite knifes, my Bark River Bravo EDC, and the Baer. What a great combo! I sure do love Tool Steel!

One thing I’ve found through this whole Covid virus is that it’s important to own multiple calibers. Before the ammo shortage, I was getting close to consolidating my calibers quite a bit. I always thought I didn’t want to buy a gun in a new caliber because it was valuable to have them all shoot only a few different calibers. Now, I’m thinking it makes sense to get a 45-70 lever gun as a backup tactical rifle haha. There for a long time, 9mm was nowhere to be found, but anyone could buy 45acp. Just a thought. It brings me back to my original point of this thread… It’s important to become proficient with multiple firearms.

Stay Safe Out There!
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 8:05:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Bump for cooler weather approaching, anybody shooting their 1911s!?
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 8:21:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: yamahawarrior89] [#7]
Picked up a Kimber LW in 9mm, then bought a 38 Super barrel:

Attachment Attached File

$40 barrel 5" with Wilson/Nowlin feed ramp Cut

$15 38 Super Mags

Changed the sights, added Coolhand Grips, Wilson Bulletproof Extractor, Flat bottom firing pin stop, full length guide rod awith a flatwire recoil spring, and the best magwell in the business Chen SI Magwell.

I'll post more later, but a lightweight 1911 with a 5" barrel is very nice to carry.

My 125gr loads are at 1380fps. My 158gr handloads are at 1215fps, I think these have a little more room.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 8:45:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Picked this up off the ee a couple weeks ago.
Attachment Attached File

Bearcamp Valley Sportsmans Club

Camein 5th out of 11

But I was the only guy shooting a single stack 45. Everyone else was shooting double stack 9s and the top 3 shooters had optics.

I was also shooting from concealment.

Attachment Attached File

I had recently switched back to 1911s after 2 years of revolvers due to 2020. I really like carrying full sized govt but have had a hankering for a lw champion. Im currently carrying in a jmcustom that I cut down but am waiting for a new holster for my tlr 7

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 9:42:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Also. Since I moved to NH I developed a woods load using the 255gr swc I use for my .45 colts.

6gr unique gets me to 850fps and is still very controllable.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/17/2020 9:20:49 PM EDT
[#10]
@03RN

Cool to see you picked up a lightweight! Great for carry.

Nice shooting! Why the heavier bullets for carry?
If I put in a 9th round I may be over your weight!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 9:58:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Old_Fashioned:
@03RN

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/113283/E46B903D-2961-42AA-B425-F2A55258FB36_jpe-1596088.JPG
View Quote

lw commander?
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By togadelic:

lw commander?
View Quote

Aluminum framed commander size 1911, same frame size but a slightly shorter slide. And lighter weight of course.

I’ve been watching a 9mm kimber 5”
At my lgs for 6 months whew. Family stuff keeping me on the no spend list but I wanna try it!
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:15:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By togadelic:

lw commander?
View Quote

Yep, A Colt Wiley Clapp LW. My CCW. It got refinished in Ionbond so it’s not showing much wear at the moment.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:59:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Old_Fashioned:
@03RN

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/113283/E46B903D-2961-42AA-B425-F2A55258FB36_jpe-1596088.JPG
View Quote

Bears

Ive always liked your colt
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 4:39:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AK-12] [#15]
Also. Since I moved to NH I developed a woods load using the 255gr swc I use for my .45 colts.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/20200813_134001_jpg-1593861.JPG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1VTvlfy-eU
View Quote

That's pretty stout; any issues cycling the SWCs?

Nice boots btw
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 8:17:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By AK-12:

Nice boots btw
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AK-12:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/20200813_134001_jpg-1593861.JPG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1VTvlfy-eU

Nice boots btw

Thanks

No they cycle great in 3 separate 1911s.

Link Posted: 10/3/2020 1:04:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Thanks

View Quote

Do you cast those 255’s yourself? Seems like a pretty great bullet profile and weight.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 5:09:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By NoDakWolfPack:

Do you cast those 255’s yourself? Seems like a pretty great bullet profile and weight.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NoDakWolfPack:

Thanks

I dont. I get all my cast bullets from rimrock
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 2:53:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Cut a notch to accommodate my favorite grips with my ambi safety. Kinda bland but their thin but still retains the plunger tube.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 4:26:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Cut a notch to accommodate my favorite grips with my ambi safety. Kinda bland but their thin but still retains the plunger tube.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/20201004_144959_jpg-1619869.JPG
View Quote

Nice!! I need to get a holster that works with a light. New carry

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 5:12:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Fordtough25:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/269204/7E6B64D8-5280-4795-AC62-328B58A80BEA_jpe-1620086.JPG
View All Quotes
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/20201004_144959_jpg-1619869.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/269204/7E6B64D8-5280-4795-AC62-328B58A80BEA_jpe-1620086.JPG

Glad you like it. Do you have really long fingers? I usually slide the light all the way back.

Ktmech should beable to make a holster for you no matter where you like to mount it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 5:39:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Glad you like it. Do you have really long fingers? I usually slide the light all the way back.

Ktmech should beable to make a holster for you no matter where you like to mount it.
View Quote

I sure do, I started with it all the way back and meh. I’ll probably move it back and try to deal with it, otherwise holsters will be a no go
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 2:15:06 PM EDT
[#23]
It’s been a while since I last posted an update. I’ve slowed down shooting a lot lately. With the night coming earlier this time of year and the colder weather allowing me to wear heavier clothes, I’ve almost exclusively went back to carrying my Glock 17. I pretty much gave up looking for a Colt CCU for a few months with the market the way it is.

The wife and I went out last night and I was able to snag a pocket dump.

Hope ya’ll have a blessed Thanksgiving! Stay safe out there

Link Posted: 11/25/2020 4:17:34 PM EDT
[#24]
still my favorite thread
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 4:51:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Welcome back! I don't think any of us have been shooting as much sadly, I have been wearing the finish off of my pony though. Happy Thanksgiving!
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Welcome back! I don't think any of us have been shooting as much sadly, I have been wearing the finish off of my pony though. Happy Thanksgiving!
View Quote

I must say im still shooting every week with monthly matches.
Last match i shot my m66 with mags but I shot my lw champion the month prior. They are my most shot guns but Im back to carrying my m66 the most.
Bearcamp Valley Sportsmans club
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 3:03:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: awmp] [#27]

Just something about carrying a good 1911, Guncrafter Stainless in Milt Sparks does the trick.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 3:05:23 PM EDT
[#28]

I must say im still shooting every week with monthly matches.
Last match i shot my m66 with mags but I shot my lw champion the month prior. They are my most shot guns but Im back to carrying my m66 the most.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i__rfM3TW2I
View Quote

'
Very nice, at least you're using them in a solid fashion!
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 6:17:48 PM EDT
[#29]
It's been a while since I last posted an update. I've slowed down shooting a lot lately. With the night coming earlier this time of year and the colder weather allowing me to wear heavier clothes, I've almost exclusively went back to carrying my Glock 17. I pretty much gave up looking for a Colt CCU for a few months with the market the way it is.

The wife and I went out last night and I was able to snag a pocket dump.

Hope ya'll have a blessed Thanksgiving! Stay safe out there

https://i.imgur.com/GTDvmwF.jpg

View Quote
 Nice pic @x_red_beard_x, The pipe looks like my favorite Missouri Meerschaum. I must have half a dozen or so now and they are really hard to beat for the price.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 1:04:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GingerShanks] [#30]
Bumping this. I carried a full size for years, and bought a p365 and an XCompact at the beginning of the summer. Everyday since, I find myself longing for the slab side. P365 will still be my go to for dress clothes and most summer occasions, but I’m gonna put the 1911 back on starting tomorrow.

@03RN Did I read somewhere that you sold your MC OP?!
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 1:15:38 PM EDT
[#31]
I've posted this pic in another thread but the pistol in the center is my favorite daily carry, A Lightweight Commander in .38 Super. Usual carry load is Buffalo Bore or Underwood 124 grain but the BBT dropped off 500 124 grain HST bullets last night and if I can load them up so the gun likes them they'll be the new CC choice. I really like HST's.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/9/2020 3:46:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By GingerShanks:
Bumping this. I carried a full size for years, and bought a p365 and an XCompact at the beginning of the summer. Everyday since, I find myself longing for the slab side. P365 will still be my go to for dress clothes and most summer occasions, but I’m gonna put the 1911 back on starting tomorrow.

@03RN Did I read somewhere that you sold your MC OP?!
View Quote

Yeah, used the money to buy my LW champion operatorAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 3:46:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By SmokeEater2:
I've posted this pic in another thread but the pistol in the center is my favorite daily carry, A Lightweight Commander in .38 Super. Usual carry load is Buffalo Bore or Underwood 124 grain but the BBT dropped off 500 124 grain HST bullets last night and if I can load them up so the gun likes them they'll be the new CC choice. I really like HST's.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/163873/IMG_0109_jpg-1722438.JPG
View Quote

I wonder how fast you can push them
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 4:00:57 PM EDT
[#34]
@SmokeEater2 Yes sir! Good call. I rarely smoke (maybe once a month or so). I quit drinking about 4 years ago, so my pipe is about my only 'social vice' that I have. I'm turning 30 this year and my days of staying out late with the guys are few and far between. I enjoy the corncob pipe, especially for the money.  I love those Colts you have there! I've never shot a 38 super, it was popular before my time. As cool of a caliber 38 Super is, I think I'd probably stick to a 9mm or 10mm if I was going to try a new caliber of 1911. I keep coming back to 45ACP. 45 is a great caliber for reloaders. You can load them up pretty smoking hot and yet load them down to the point where they're running stupid soft.

@GingerShanks Thanks for the bump. I just got done playing around with a 365XL. I liked it for the most part. It's a VERY shooting friendly compact gun. I would take me a long time to get used to that long reset of the trigger pull. I don't think I've shot many Sigs that I liked mainly due to the trigger reset. I'd much rather have a heavy trigger with a short clean reset, than the opposite. I'm sure the 365 will be a great sidearm for daily use. I was impressed with the quality for sure. Post your thoughts when you start carrying that 1911 again, I'd love to hear more.

I shot a match a few weekends ago that really opened my eyes on some of my kit. The match was a local two gun match. The match is a run-what-ya-brung style shoot. No classes, carry all your ammo for the entire day, each course of fire has some element to get your heart rate up (the first course of fire we had to keep our hands in a cooler full of ice water to hear the stage briefing before shooting the stage). I ran a Glock 17 w/ RMR and a 14.5” Noveseke w/ T1. Both ran flawlessly through all the courses of fire and obstacles. However, on the obstacle course, we had to crawl through some tires. Many of the competitors couldn’t even fit through them. Guys running thin plate carriers did good. Big wide belts struggled. That being said, as I was squirming my way through these tight tires, my pistol started to come out of my holster. Thankfully I caught it, but it was a close call that really got to me. I was using a TrexArms OWB kydex holster with plenty of retention, but when your pressed up against something and trying to squeeze through with a rifle, you don’t pay any attention to your pistol. I immediately wished I had a holster with some sort of retention. On the way home, I picked up a 6390RDS for the Glock and have been trying to improve my draw with it since. It’s not exactly fast and certainly requires some focus, two things I don’t really like about a holster. However, I’m excited to use it in these more physical matches. I’ll be getting another level 2 or level 3 holster for my next 1911.

My wife made a deal with me. If I lose 55 pounds, she’s buying me a Colt CCU 1911. I need to lose the weight anyhow, but now I’ve got motivation. I have a trip planned next September that I need to be in good physical shape for, so I plan to reach my goal by then. Time to embrace hunger as my friend.

Here’s my motivation:

Aint she a beaut! I realize for the money there are better pistols, but I grew up shooting my dad’s Colt Commander, so this one will be special to me.

I'm planning on doing some more practice this weekend at the range.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 4:22:54 PM EDT
[#35]
@03RN Damn! Your AIWB pics were inspiration to me. That is a sweet LW though.

@x_red_beard_x I’d imagine that I’ll have the same experience I always have. I didn’t have a single 9mm pistol, and the riot threads back in the spring pushed me to buy a couple hi cap 9’s. Only reason for my switch. The P365 is a sure winner for me for the particular niche it fills. I have to wear tailored suits frequently and that pistol doesn’t tear up clothes and is easier to tote than my cell phone. It just punches way above it’s weight. Bought the XCompact at the same time, but it doesn’t do a whole lot for me and it’s wider than my 1911s are. I previously carried a G23 for a year or two also, always end up right back where I started. Going back to this guy:
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#36]
All these badass pictures are making me want to warm ol slab sides up!!! It's time, and 45 is still available so I am pumped!
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 8:19:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By GingerShanks:
@03RN Damn! Your AIWB pics were inspiration to me. That is a sweet LW though.
View Quote

I really liked the MC Operator but I dont like colored handguns. I had an beretta m9a3 that I traded away too.

The LW champion fills the role of a railed 1911 so Ive got that covered.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 10:00:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Today is a good day.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 10:13:28 AM EDT
[#39]
@GingerShanks Nice! That specialist is gorgeous, plus the Bounty Hunter Microtech is spot on!

What belt is that? Is it strong enough to carry a 1911 comfortably? I still wear my Ares Gear Aegis, but I think the buckle looks horrible.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 10:19:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 10:32:15 AM EDT
[#41]
@GingerShanks Nice! That specialist is gorgeous, plus the Bounty Hunter Microtech is spot on!

What belt is that? Is it strong enough to carry a 1911 comfortably? I still wear my Ares Gear Aegis, but I think the buckle looks horrible.
View Quote

It’s a Mastermind Tactics Specialist, f/k/a Graith Specialist. That one was a special run they did with aluminum buckles. Normally they are steel. They are definitely strong enough for appendix, strong side idk. Only belts I’ve worn in probably 5 years. This is my second one.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 12:17:55 PM EDT
[#42]
@03RN do you have experience with the Emissary Belt? I dig the looks of it, I'm just skeptical of it's strength. The Aegis Enhanced belt has 3 layers (2 thick scuba webbing, one thin colored layer).
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 2:17:37 PM EDT
[#43]
@03RN do you have experience with the Emissary Belt? I dig the looks of it, I'm just skeptical of it's strength. The Aegis Enhanced belt has 3 layers (2 thick scuba webbing, one thin colored layer).
View Quote

I'd like to know myself, My 12 year old Beltman belt has "shrunk" a bit.  Does that belt have the strength to hold a 1911 carried OWB?
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 3:22:49 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Its as strong as any double layer belt. I like it because I hate velcro. It also looks like a normal belt.

Link Posted: 12/10/2020 3:24:00 PM EDT
[#45]

I'd like to know myself, My 12 year old Beltman belt has "shrunk" a bit.  Does that belt have the strength to hold a 1911 carried OWB?
View All Quotes

Its stiffer than any of my double layer bull or horsehide gunbelts
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:23:57 AM EDT
[#46]
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/163873/IMG_0109_jpg-1722438.JPG
View Quote

I wonder how fast you can push them
View Quote

Article I like to use if I want hot rods. Long said she’s my favorite cartridge. Very under appreciated thanks to the Luke warm to cold loads the factories gave us compared to the originals.

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/super-powders-for-the-38-super/99160#:~:text=The%20Vihtavuori%20manual%20lists%20one%20outstanding%20powder%20for,barrel.%20Naturally%2C%20it%20was%20included%20in%20the%20test.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 6:47:53 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

The emissary is badass, I have been carrying with it for 2 years every day, heavy guns, gear, etc.
It is strong, water proof and doesn't look like an autistic gunbro belt.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 6:16:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doubleclaw] [#48]
Back home from Afghanistan, and just started carrying my beloved Colt Concealed Carry Government Model, and I had forgotten just how beautifully this pistol fits my hand.

I’m toting it in a Comp-Tac MTAC right now, but once I start working again, it’s going in a Milt Sparks VMII in brown leather once I find one and have the extra scratch.

The place I’m starting work tomorrow has a nice indoor range in the back, so I will be “test firing” quite a bit every time I get the chance.

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 6:55:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By doubleclaw:
Back home from Afghanistan, and just started carrying my beloved Colt Concealed Carry Government Model, and I had forgotten just how beautifully this pistol fits my hand.

I’m toting it in a Comp-Tac MTAC right now, but once I start working again, it’s going in a Milt Sparks VMII in brown leather once I find one and have the extra scratch.

The place I’m starting work tomorrow has a nice indoor range in the back, so I will be “test firing” quite a bit every time I get the chance.
View Quote

Welcome home bro.

Check out Ryan Grizzle. He makes a really good vm2 clone. He works with horsehide and gives vets/service members a discount.

I have one for 4" k frames and it is beautiful
Attachment Attached File

I like rough side out
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 7:13:40 PM EDT
[#50]

Welcome home bro.

Check out Ryan Grizzle. He makes a really good vm2 clone. He works with horsehide and gives vets/service members a discount.

I have one for 4" k frames and it is beautiful
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/20201013_121011_jpg-1740583.JPG

I like rough side out
View Quote

Excellent reading material
Page / 45
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top