Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2022 2:24:00 PM EDT
Anyone in the know heard if Springfield is going to release a 9mm version of the 1911 Operator?  I figured one may be coming since they released a 9mm Garrison. Wanting a 9mm 1911 and would love a 9mm version of the 1911 Operator.  Reluctant to buy something else at the moment because I know as soon as I do they’ll release one.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 9:14:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I hope so!
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:50:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Probably not anytime soon, they seem to be focusing on the Prodigy and the plastics.
I wish I had never sold my 9mm Combat Operator.

There is a nice used Pro 9mm Operator with the old style roll marks on 1911addicts, if you have the coin.

Also, the Tisas Duty railed 9mm was as nice as any production SA I've ever owned, only sold it to try and pay some debt down.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:36:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Released today

PO9229
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:13:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DOG556:
Released today

PO9229
View Quote

Well Ill be damned

Link Posted: 5/11/2023 2:51:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks good
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 2:51:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Needs front strap TRP checkering.  Why don’t they do this !!!
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 2:54:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Released today and already shipping to dealers.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 3:55:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Needs front strap TRP checkering.  Why don't they do this !!!
View Quote

Cost.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 8:37:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I which they made a trp 9mm
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I just want a Garrison Commander 9mm
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 9:52:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Well damn. Take my money please.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:08:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I picked up a new 9mm Operator this past week. I only had time to put about 100rds through it so far.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:45:43 PM EDT
[#13]
And!!!!!!  That’s all you have to say !  Cmon man
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 9:11:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GreyDuck] [#14]
View Quote

🤣

Fit and finish are excellent. I like the changes they’ve made to the old Range Officer Operator; Sights -I prefer these sights (front nightsight with white ring, rear ledge style with non-tritium white dots) over the fiber optic front on the previous model. Grips - To me, the VZ grips are much better than the wood grips. I’ll probably put a magwell on it eventually but I really like these VZ Alien pattern grips, so I’ll probably go with this pattern again when the time comes. Safety - I’m indifferent about the ambi safety. I don’t use the ambi, but I don’t mind it there.

Right from picking it up at the shop I noticed that the recoil spring seems much lighter than I would have expected. Maybe it’s just my example? I took it right to the range and put about 100 rds through it (I did not have the light on it). I did feel like the slide functioned slower than my other 1911’s and striker fired pistols, at least in my head. I had two failures to return to battery (fed the next round, but was about 1/8-1/4” out of battery). Happened in the middle of the range session and on the same mag a couple rounds apart, and never happened again. But I had no other issues before or after. The pistol shot POA and grouped very nicely, even on doubles & triples.  The recoil was slightly more than a 22lr feel.

Some googling leads me to believe Springfield uses a 9 lbs recoil spring, and a 13 lbs recoil spring is fairly standard in 9mm 1911’s, so I ordered a 13 lbs Wilson recoil spring this weekend. Hopefully that will make the slide cycle a little stronger without changing anything else.

I’m very happy with the pistol.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:31:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By MyWar:

🤣

Fit and finish are excellent. I like the changes they’ve made to the old Range Officer Operator; Sights -I prefer these sights (front nightsight with white ring, rear ledge style with non-tritium white dots) over the fiber optic front on the previous model. Grips - To me, the VZ grips are much better than the wood grips. I’ll probably put a magwell on it eventually but I really like these VZ Alien pattern grips, so I’ll probably go with this pattern again when the time comes. Safety - I’m indifferent about the ambi safety. I don’t use the ambi, but I don’t mind it there.

Right from picking it up at the shop I noticed that the recoil spring seems much lighter than I would have expected. Maybe it’s just my example? I took it right to the range and put about 100 rds through it (I did not have the light on it). I did feel like the slide functioned slower than my other 1911’s and striker fired pistols, at least in my head. I had two failures to return to battery (fed the next round, but was about 1/8-1/4” out of battery). Happened in the middle of the range session and on the same mag a couple rounds apart, and never happened again. But I had no other issues before or after. The pistol shot POA and grouped very nicely, even on doubles & triples.  The recoil was slightly more than a 22lr feel.

Some googling leads me to believe Springfield uses a 9 lbs recoil spring, and a 13 lbs recoil spring is fairly standard in 9mm 1911’s, so I ordered a 13 lbs Wilson recoil spring this weekend. Hopefully that will make the slide cycle a little stronger without changing anything else.

View Quote

How tight is slide/frame fit? Considering one of these for a project and everything else can be changed out but I can’t really do anything about slide/frame if it’s loose.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:

How tight is slide/frame fit? Considering one of these for a project and everything else can be changed out but I can’t really do anything about slide/frame if it’s loose.
View Quote

I'm really happy with it. It's a tighter slide to frame fit than the other production 1911's I own (Kimber TLE/RL2, Kimber Warrior, and SA Range Officer). There's no play, rattle or shake. It's not as tight as my Staccato, or a couple Wilsons or Les Baers that I've had the chance to shoot but for the price difference I didn't expect it to be.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 9:25:17 AM EDT
[#17]

🤣

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

🤣

Please let us know how the new and stronger recoil spring does. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 4:35:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Please let us know how the new and stronger recoil spring does. Thanks.
View Quote

Finally got a chance to run it today with the new recoil spring. Cycled perfectly, ran great. An easy and cheap upgrade.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 5:44:45 PM EDT
[#19]
So the  heavier  13lb spring would help also with felt recoil?
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 4:50:01 PM EDT
[#20]
I just picked one up today.  So far it looks to be a well built piece.  There are a few things like the slide not being blended with the frame at the rear very well and the mag release is a bit gritty.  The fit on mine is superb even when compared to my DW.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 5:05:17 PM EDT
[#21]
I’m just surprised that there is not more reviews and coverage on this gun!
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 11:35:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Dropped the cash for one a couple days ago, siting in jail (FU Washington St and the useless ten day crap).  Thanks for the heads up on the recoil springs will pick one up for sure.  I want a magwell as well. Need to decide between a Wilson one piece or maybe a Stan Chen.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 5:08:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Needs front strap checkering
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:50:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Needs front strap checkering
View Quote

They should make more of the Combat Operators. I wish I had kept mine.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 2:02:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sir_James] [#25]
Picked it up, very nice fit and finish but can confirm it had a few failure to return to battery as mentioned above.  Ordered the 13# flat spring from Wilson via Midwest Gun Works.  It arrived in today's mail.  Will try to get it back out on my days off this week.  Ran couple hundred through it with the supplied mags and a Wilson 10rd.  115 and 124 ball Norma, Seller, Blazer.  Good shooter, seems to be accurate hopefully the new recoil spring does the trick.  Will report back.

Sir James...
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 3:21:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Needs front strap TRP checkering.  Why don’t they do this !!!
View Quote

My biggest complaint on my TRP Operator was the checkering. It was pretty brutal for anything other than a short range outing.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 1:49:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

My biggest complaint on my TRP Operator was the checkering. It was pretty brutal for anything other than a short range outing.
View All Quotes

Thats why the combat operatot was perfect. Had 25lpi instead of the trps 20.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 2:16:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By bad2006z71:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bad2006z71:

I haven't handled the new Emissary but I've handled several with similar treatment and I really like them. I understand that some guns need agressive treatment but it sucks for most normal shooting. I did a pin match with my TRP once and my hands looked like I scrubbed them with sand papaer. For contrast I did another match with a FNP 45 in which I shot hundreds of rounds in a day and my hands were not beat up hardly at all.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 2:26:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Other than a TRP I owned a few years back, I'm not a big 1911 guy.  Always appreciated them but a Glock was my first pistol / love.  I don't know much about them.  Is there a factory option for a threaded barrel or just aftermarket?
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 3:02:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By scoutfsu99:
Other than a TRP I owned a few years back, I'm not a big 1911 guy.  Always appreciated them but a Glock was my first pistol / love.  I don't know much about them.  Is there a factory option for a threaded barrel or just aftermarket?
View Quote

There have been threaded guns and in the past Springfield had their own shop where they would install any barrel you want. Barrels require various level of fitment on a 1911 so it's not a drop in thing like Glocks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 1:30:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Got it back out after swapping the recoil spring.  Ran a box of Remington 115 through it and it had few slide not locking back issues with all three mags.  Tried Speer, Sellor and Geco both 115 and 124 and it ran fine.  Will chock it up to not liking that Remington ammo.  Ordered a Stan Chen magwell for it as well.  Will post up a glamor shot once I get the magwell installed.

Sir James...
Top Top