Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2022 7:19:31 PM EDT
Is it just me or does this stuff have a decently high frequency of semi-squib rounds?

I can't shoot through my existing pile of this fast enough, it seems I get 2-3 times per year shooting this ammo where you get a noticeably weaker "pop" and then find an empty case in the chamber still because there wasn't enough oomph to cycle the full slide.

I have several different lots from several different year ranges and I've never once experienced this with any other make.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I gave up on Winchester White Box years ago.

Dirty, inconsistent, inaccurate garbage rounds.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 10:03:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I seem to remember a time when people would exclaim "if it doesn't run on WWB, its trash".

Yet I've seen near-squibs with only this round out of the many loads that I have experience with.

Well, I guess I need to use this stuff up and never buy it again.  I want to shoot 147/158 only going forward anyway.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 10:19:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I gave up on Winchester White Box years ago.

Dirty, inconsistent, inaccurate garbage rounds.
View Quote

Bingo.  Quit using that trash back in 2013.

Began reloading in 2015 and never looked back.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 10:24:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got boxes of the trash that I use when someone wants to buy some from me for a trip to the range. Never shot a more inconsistent round.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 10:36:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I've shot tens of thousands of rounds of it. The only thing I encountered was a round with a belled case mouth. It caused a failure to return to battery. Other than that, no issues.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 11:34:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Absolute garbage. I had stacks and stacks of that crap I sold off during the last panic. Glad to see it gone. If someone likes rolling coal through their guns and correcting malfunctions wwb is for them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 1:05:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Years ago I made post about finding some quite out of spec rounds from WWB, that it would fail headspace by almost 0.020 if reloaded without a massive crimp. There were quite a few people ridiculing me for being picky. It was actually an odd bunch of responses. Almost every other post was saying it’s fine just shoot it. Yeah, well, that wasn’t the point I was trying to make.

Here’s what it was looking like, maybe 1 in every 10 rounds.  

Link Posted: 8/23/2022 1:13:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Shot tens of thousands of rounds thru all kinds of stuff with no issues.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 1:46:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Winchester Q4172 was the nypd’s first duty round
I’ve shot a lot of it without issue.  I shoot q4318 124 gr nato now
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 7:19:36 AM EDT
[#10]
We’ve burned through tens of thousands of it at the department and never had a single issue.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 1:29:41 PM EDT
[#11]
9mm 115 grain WWB for me seems to be the most reliable factory ammo that I go through. I also shoot tons of Herter's brand 115 grain ammo which is most likely the same as WWB. Never recall getting a squib load so this may be a lot specific issue like the recall they had last year.

To be fair most ammo manufacturers the past couple years have been slacking on quality control.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:18:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Years ago I made post about finding some quite out of spec rounds from WWB, that it would fail headspace by almost 0.020 if reloaded without a massive crimp. There were quite a few people ridiculing me for being picky. It was actually an odd bunch of responses. Almost every other post was saying it’s fine just shoot it. Yeah, well, that wasn’t the point I was trying to make.

Here’s what it was looking like, maybe 1 in every 10 rounds.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/86022/DF6FE4FB-332E-471A-968F-74AE4337942C-2499468.jpg
View Quote

I used to shoot a lot of the Win 100 round white box when it was around $13 at Walmart.

I generally like the ammo but I have seen the elongated 9X20mm rounds personally.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 9:07:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Never had an issue with it going BANG.

But, it shot shitty groups and made the guns really dirty with powder residue.  Could be a good source of sight black as a few rounds fired with the front sight of my rifle near the ejection port of the firing gun would blacken the front sight fairly quickly.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 11:10:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I expect I've shot over 15k rounds of this 115gr White Box in last 20+ years and I've only had one bad round.  During a training class I had one dud round that would not go off even on 2nd and 3rd hit.  Physically the round looked perfect and when I pulled the bullet there was powder inside...a bad primer.  It wasn't match quality ammo but had acceptable accuracy in my PCC and pistols.  
Never had any other problem with them.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:31:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Wwb from 20 years go was much better quality than that pumped out today.
Most all companies 9mm being pumped out as fast as possible, has suffered quality control in recent years.

Going back 30 years ago Winchester was one of the better quality ammo available domestically, it especially the 22 rimfire, has taken a huge quality dive.

Pre 2000, it was a very rare event to have a bad factory round ( misfire, bad crimp or length, variable power/ light load or squib) now it seems expected every thousand rounds or so, with Winchester seeming to suffer more frequently
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top