Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2022 9:37:50 PM EDT
Hey guys, wondering if anyone has experience with the above ammo?  I carry a  factory Glock 17 on hikes etc.  I'm more concerned with 2 legged predators more than bears etc but I'd like a decent round that can handle both.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 7:17:38 AM EDT
[#1]
If it's just in Illinois just use your normal load.

Nothing wrong with a 147 flat point at 1100fps. I often carry hardcast. A large meplat kills really well
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 8:33:13 AM EDT
[#2]
147gr 9mm?

pppssshhh....

https://seismicammo.com/product/185-grain-9mm-single-box/

ETA: Never used the Outdoorsman, but did carry the .380 +P Buffalo Bore for the longest time.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 3:05:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I have used Buffalo Bore in the past, just not that load.  It’s pricey ammo but good ammo.

There is a documented case on BB website where Phil Shoemaker used BB Outdoorsman hardcast to stop a Brown Bear attack.  

Based on pictures it certainly want a giant brown bear but it was bigger than a blackie.

I’d buy with confidence.

Also, I’ve shot lots of hardcast through Glock barrels with zero problems.  Sometimes that’s a concern for some folks.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 3:44:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Underwood makes more or less the same round but with a coated hard cast bullet. It's also about $15 less per box.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/9mm-luger-p-147-grain-hard-cast-flat-nose.html
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 1:34:51 PM EDT
[#5]
?? Hard Cast Dangerous Animal ?? Ballistic Test - 9mm, 10mm, .38 SPL .357 Mag & .44 Mag

I still hate clear gel. Bullets will typically penetrate less in tissue than in clear gel.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 7:20:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXF5HOQz5WY

I still hate clear gel. Bullets will typically penetrate less in tissue than in clear gel.
View Quote

I'm a little surprised at the difference between the penetration depth of the 9mm and .38. I know the .38 has a little more power, but almost twice the penetration?
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 8:52:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm a little surprised at the difference between the penetration depth of the 9mm and .38. I know the .38 has a little more power, but almost twice the penetration?
View Quote

I was also surprised by that.  I really enjoy reloading for revolvers and think I’ll have to load some “outdoorsman” 38 special rounds just because.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:01:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought and received the underwood ones. Can anyone verify if they are basically the same round?  Y is one cheaper?
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 10:37:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I bought and received the underwood ones. Can anyone verify if they are basically the same round?  Y is one cheaper?
View Quote

It's cheaper because BB is overpriced. I tested the Underwood and thought it performed very well.

https://generacartridge.com/2019/06/11/underwood-9mm-40-sw-hard-cast-in-clear-ballistics-gel/
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 10:42:19 PM EDT
[#10]
That answers that. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 8:46:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I've always found buffalo bore to have faster than advertised velocity and underwood a little bit slower.

If I was buying ammo for defense I'd go buffalo bore. Their velocity is also incredibly consistent.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 3:44:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted:

I was also surprised by that.  I really enjoy reloading for revolvers and think I’ll have to load some “outdoorsman” 38 special rounds just because.
View Quote

A .355" 147 gr. bullet @ 1100 fps vs. a .358" 158 gr. bullet @ 1250 fps. It stands to reason that the heavier bullet at higher velocity will penetrate better.

One of the many reasons I carry, with complete confidence, a 4" Model 10 loaded 160 gr. cast SWC's.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 12:12:39 AM EDT
[#13]
The Buffalo Bore 9mm Outdoorsman is a heck of a good woods load for use against both 2 and 4 legged A-holes.... All my 9mm's are CZ's and CZ's all have notorious tight for spec chambers... at least they are tight forward of the case mouth. So while all my CZ's shoot and cycle this 147gr hardcast pill nicely... I have to use my gun-bench and a dead-blow mallet to unload a previously chambered round or decide to shoot it to clear the weapon once back home after the days outing. Buffalo Bore's owner Tim Sundles actually took the time to explain in an email to me about the tight CZ chambers and how the Outdoorsman hard cast profile likes to wedge itself so tightly into...

Most of you won't have this problem but quite of a few CZ owners have experienced the same aforementioned above to Buffalo Bore as well. Just putting this out there.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 12:22:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Nothing wrong with a 147 flat point at 1100fps. I often carry hardcast. A large meplat kills really well
View Quote

@03RN are you doing your own casting or are you buying the cast bullets and may I ask where you are buying them if you are?

Thank you very much!
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 12:26:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I think a lot of the reason why folks flock to the Buffalo Bore 9mm Outdoorsman cast bullet is due to well knowing grizzly bear guide Phil Shoemaker's article on killing a grizzly bear with the 9mm with multiple shots out of an old Smith & Wesson 9mm in Alaska.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 7:33:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

@03RN are you doing your own casting or are you buying the cast bullets and may I ask where you are buying them if you are?

Thank you very much!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you very much!

I get my bullets from rimrock
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top