Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2023 8:32:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AndBen]
I’m new to Beretta, so excuse my ignorance.

Got a 92X RDO off EE. Supposedly has 50 rds thru it. Gun looks new. Came with G conversion. Dry fired it a bunch, worked fine.

Added the RDO plate. Still worked fine.

Few days later, added a SRO on the plate. The decocker started sticking in the up position and not docking.

After some tinkering, I noticed the safety plunger was stuck inward, not allowing the decocker lever to rotate.

If I hold the pistol up and give it a good shake/rattle, the plunger pops back out and then I am able to decock it.

If I take a tiny screw driver and push on the plunger, it has very weak pressure pushing it out. Sometimes it pushes back out, some times it stays pushed in.

Is this a plunger spring issue?

Is it possible some of the loctite I used on the SRO/RDO plate somehow got into the slide/firing pin block…and gummed it up?
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 8:38:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AndBen] [#1]
Here is a video of the plunger…popping back out, then getting stuck in, then me shaking it back out, then it getting stuck again.

Link Posted: 10/25/2023 9:24:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I’d try taking off the sight and plate maybe it’s binding something under the torque or one of the screws is hitting an internal component. I have not owned a rdo beretta so I’m not really sure what the modifications are to the slide.

It could also be sticky old lube causing the firing pin to stick, so maybe disassemble the safety and clean out the firing pin channel and safety components. You can also inspect all the parts that way maybe it is a spring issue or installation issue
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 10:27:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AndBen] [#3]
Thanks. Yeah, I’ll take it apart later.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 7:14:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AndBen] [#4]
Not sure if I’m an idiot or have a messed up gun.

Tried taking the slide apart, my first time with a Beretta. Watched a bunch of YT vids.

Got everything off, except the firing pin block, which is suppose to pop out cause it’s under spring pressure, right? Mine doesn’t.

Firing pin also appears to be stuck fwd. The pin tip shouldn’t
be exposed, should it? That might make sense since the the plunger had barely any pressure on it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 8:04:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AndBen] [#5]
Success!

Totally stripped slide now. ended up have to hammer out the pin block and firing pin. No way that was coming out otherwise. needs a new pin and spring now, but its out. found a few sand grain sized bits of metal on the spring/pin. Gonna clean it all up and order some new parts.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 8:17:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Aftermath
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 8:58:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Dam
Cleaning it out with contact cleaner would have been my 1st thing
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 9:43:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AndBen] [#8]
So this morning I had a good idea. Figured Id take the firing pin out of my other 92 since it uses the same one, because the new one hasnt shipped yet and will take a few days to get here.  

Took the the other 92 apart and got it out. The pin and spring smoothly slide in and out of the firing pin channel. I go to put it in the 92X slide, and it takes a small amount of force to shove it in. Does not move freely. Required a push with a punch to get get it back out.

I looked into the channels of both slides with a flashlight. The 92x channel looks pretty beat up.

Looks really dirty still. Will try to get it cleaner.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 11:56:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Seems to be good as new now. No clue what the gunk was in the firing pin channel.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#10]
This looked like a lot more wear and tear for just 50 rounds...
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 5:04:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Kinda my thought too. The firing pin/spring damage is from my banging it out with a punch.

That said, I have no idea where the gunk inside the firing pin channel came from. I thought at first maybe it came from loctite, since the tapped holes for the RDO plate go straight down to the channel. But, I didn’t use loctite for the plate.

Who knows, just glad I got it working. Taking to range tmw to test it out.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 4:15:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a 92X Performance that does the same thing. I noticed it when converting it to SAO with the flat trigger.
The conversion is all done on the frame and doesn't involve the slide but I saw the plunger not returning after the hammer was manually pulled back. It only returned on slide rack.
I haven't had a malfunction at the range but will try cleaning the fp channel like you did.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top