Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2018 7:56:16 AM EDT
Do any of you primarily carry 9mm in the warmer months and then switch to a heavier caliber in the winter months?

I usually carry 9mm year round but was recently thinking about carrying 40 in the colder months.  Mainly due to heavier clothing.

I have to be honest that the real reason is because I have a 40 that's been sitting in my safe and I miss carrying it..LOL.

I was looking at Underwood and they seem to have a 200gr. that looks good.

I also carry a 1911 on occasion and like 45, the low capacity isn't really ideal for my area.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:20:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Just aim for the head and stick with 9mm

Or carry whatever you want, be it 9, .40, or .45. Just use good ammunition regardless of caliber and you should be good.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:32:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think there is any "clothing penetration" difference between 9 and 40. I think the actual bullet design is much more important ie HST vs. Silvertip.

If we are talking about bullets that clog with heavy clothing and fail to expand, then 40 may be a little better. But the better, modern loads should be impervious to heavy clothing.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 10:24:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Lucky Gunner shows Golden Saber 180s to be pretty good, but I'm not sure how old that is.  I carried GS 165s back when.

In 9mm I carry 124+P Rangers.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 7:16:25 PM EDT
[#4]
In winter it is not so much a caliber change as a frame size change.

Many who carry a glock 26 will go to the 19 or 17 for winter carry.

If you pocket carry something then it might move from the front pants pocket to a jacket pocket perhaps.

If you carry decent ammo in a reasonable caliber, 9mm is acceptable, I don't see a reason to change for winter.

Some folks do go from iwb to owb depending on how many layers they wear as well.

I carry 40 cause right now you can spend $300 bucks for a police trade in glock 22, $55 bucks for 5 spare 15 rd mags lightly used, shop ammo and find some bonded hollow point ammo in 40 someplace is selling cheaper than 9mm cause most folks are going back to 9mm.

I don't have an issue with 9mm, but 40 is cheap right now.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 7:31:38 PM EDT
[#5]
.40 is good all year but I do like my G22 in winter months.  Usually carry a 9mm Shield or G19.  S&W 442 gets a good amount of time too.

Whatever floats your boat.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 3:38:29 AM EDT
[#6]
From the tests I've seen I don't really see 9mm HST not expanding through any amount of clothing.

Missing your 40 is a good reason to carry it though :)
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 5:48:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm not too concerned with winter coats stopping handgun bullets.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#8]
It was my first firearm purchase as well, so there's some sentimental there...
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 9:56:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to carry a p226 in the winter. Now I carry a g29 year round. For the 226 I carried golden Sabre and then switched to buffalo bore a few years back. 10mm I use grizzly 200gr JHP
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 10:20:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Do any of you primarily carry 9mm in the warmer months and then switch to a heavier caliber in the winter months?

I usually carry 9mm year round but was recently thinking about carrying 40 in the colder months.  Mainly due to heavier clothing.

I have to be honest that the real reason is because I have a 40 that's been sitting in my safe and I miss carrying it..LOL.

I was looking at Underwood and they seem to have a 200gr. that looks good.

I also carry a 1911 on occasion and like 45, the low capacity isn't really ideal for my area.

Thanks
View Quote
1) there are no magic bullets.

2) Shot placement > magic bullets.

3) Pick a caliber, pick a type of gun - buy ammo by the case and shoot regularly.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 10:19:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I carry a 224 in the summer loaded with 165 Rangers and in the cold months a 226 with the same. I rotate carry ammo once a year and it usually loaded with Rangers or HST.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 3:53:26 AM EDT
[#12]
A .40 and a 9mm penetrate within inches of one another. Some 9mm loads penetrate more than the .40 and some .40's penetrate more. They are all designed to penetrate between 12 to 18 inches after expansion.

Going to a marginally bigger caliber isn't going to increase penetration unless you use heavy FMJ'S or similar in which case it still wouldn't matter since even a .380 will penetrate both sides of a human chest.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 5:08:12 AM EDT
[#13]
As a generalization.. 9mm has better sectional density for penetration. Reguradless of projectile style.
Can .40 overcome that benefit with a rough 20% increase in energy delivered to target ?
Most likely. So you are even again.
Pick one !
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 6:11:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As a generalization.. 9mm has better sectional density for penetration. Reguradless of projectile style.
Can .40 overcome that benefit with a rough 20% increase in energy delivered to target ?
Most likely. So you are even again.
Pick one !
View Quote
Only the 147 grain 9mm has a larger sectional density than a 180 grain .40. Even then, it's only 3% higher.

The common 124 grain 9mm has 13% less sectional density than a 180 grain .40.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:34:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think the concern is the 9mm will not expand with the heavy clothing.

I think with the modern JHPs like HST though it would have to be pretty extreme clothing to not expand. Would be fun (but not scientific) to buy a bunch of old heavy coats at a thrift store and do some extreme gel tests. I suspect the JHPs would do fine but maybe not. I'm in TX so worst clothing would be medium-heavy coats I think.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 1:43:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Bullet construction is the determining factor on whether any given bullet expands or not. It isn't based on caliber. There are .40's, .357 Magnums, ect that do not expand in heavy clothing due to poor bullet construction. The same applies to 9mm and .380.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I hope I’m still around in about 30 years to see the shooting community “rediscover” the .40 Smith & Wesson.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 3:26:11 PM EDT
[#18]
  There are .40's, .357 Magnums, ect that do not expand in heavy clothing due to poor bullet construction.  
View Quote
To be fair, there are .357 Magnums that do not expand in heavy clothing, due to the fact that they are intended for hunting game, where deeper penetration is desired.

The construction is not necessarily poor, but is intended for another purpose.

The stars are aligned against the poor .357 Magnum load designer.  The guns range from 2" to rifle length.  Things were simpler back in the days of Keith bullets, but it takes a little bit of thought to properly select a .357 Magnum load today.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:24:50 PM EDT
[#19]
If you carry a 40 S&W you want the 155 gr bullet look at the energy levels of the different ammo you are considering.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:30:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I think with the modern JHPs like HST though it would have to be pretty extreme clothing to not expand. Would be fun (but not scientific) to buy a bunch of old heavy coats at a thrift store and do some extreme gel tests. I suspect the JHPs would do fine but maybe not. I'm in TX so worst clothing would be medium-heavy coats I think.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a reason why you see most tests done thru 5 layers of denim.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:56:54 AM EDT
[#21]
I still usually carry a 9mm in the colder months.

Like others have said, I sometimes carry a larger pistol than I would if I was just wearing a T shirt.

Sometimes that pistol is my .40 P229 or G23.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 9:57:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I did.

I've warmed to .40.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 10:17:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I carry 40 cause right now you can spend $300 bucks for a police trade in glock 22, $55 bucks for 5 spare 15 rd mags lightly used, shop ammo and find some bonded hollow point ammo in 40 someplace is selling cheaper than 9mm cause most folks are going back to 9mm.

I don't have an issue with 9mm, but 40 is cheap right now.
View Quote
I'd love to find one of these mythical $300 G22 in my AO (central VA) . . . all of the GSs around here run them about $10 cheaper than the 9mm version ($460ish)
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 1:21:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I use the 135 grain 40's in the HK P30, I prefer the velocity gain.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:08:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Only the 147 grain 9mm has a larger sectional density than a 180 grain .40. Even then, it's only 3% higher.

View Quote
Which would be important if it effected performance.

But it doesn't. In handgun calibers construction and design are your limiting factors.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:10:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If you carry a 40 S&W you want the 155 gr bullet look at the energy levels of the different ammo you are considering.
View Quote
Why does energy matter when it comes to wounding mechanism of handgun calibers?

Here's a hint... once you reach the threshold needed to ensure adequate penetration and expansion, it doesn't.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 8:29:42 PM EDT
[#27]
I enjoy carrying Glock 22's in the cooler months.
Winchester 165 Bonded
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

But it doesn't. In handgun calibers construction and design are your limiting factors.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't think sectional density affects bullet performance?

Why is there a difference in penetration between heavier and lighter bullet weight for a given caliber?

I'll give you that it's certainly not the only variable, but it's certainly an important one.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 7:35:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I hope I’m still around in about 30 years to see the shooting community “rediscover” the .40 Smith & Wesson.
View Quote
I’d say more like ten years.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:16:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just wait, there will be a high profile LE shootout where the 9mm “fails” and LE will start switching back to 40 again. If we manage to avoid a magazine ban then “civilians” will follow suit when it happens. If we don’t manage to avoid a magazine ban then the 40 will be rediscovered when said ban goes into effect.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 5:52:23 PM EDT
[#31]
I carry my G19 with 147gr gold dots year round. I’m a firm believer that I’m not going to be shooting just one bullet. Unless I make a drive thru someone’s brain box and they drop like a sack of potatoes.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 4:15:19 AM EDT
[#32]
I carry .357 sig right now. Probably going to stay with it for awhile. I have 9mm and .40 also and there is nothing wrong with them. I carry them also. But 90% of the time my m&p compact is my go to gun with underwood .357 sig. no matter what gun I use, I always shoot noticeably better with the m&p compact.  I feel just fine with my choice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top