Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2018 12:52:51 AM EDT
I'm in the market for a 4" or 4.25" 1911.  Is there any major difference reliability wise between the two?  Is it best to stay with 45 or can 9mm run in the shorter guns.

I'm leaning towards a Colt Combat Commander.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 1:14:46 AM EDT
[#1]
4.25" is the shortest you can go and stick with the GI style setup with barrel bushing and easy taking apart without tools for cleaning. Once you go shorter, like 4" barrels, you have to go to bushing-less bull barrels and guide rods. It's a little harder to take apart, will need a tool or paper clip at least, to take apart for cleaning. Both are fine, but I think most prefer the 4.25" barrel setup. I will say 1911's run best with 45acp since it's designed for that. But they can work with 9mm as well. The Springfield EMP 9mm's aren't bad.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 1:31:12 AM EDT
[#2]
4.25 will let you use a GI spring set up.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 2:27:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I find 4.25 to be better then 4” reliability wise. Personally if buying a 9mm would go with something other then a Colt like a DW Vigil or a Springfield Range Officer compact or champion something with a ramped barrel. Colts don’t have a ramped barrel for whatever reason every other manufacturer out there just about uses a ramped barrel in 9mm. But 9mm is more reliable in the shorter action guns in my experience then a full size just the opposite of a 45.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:28:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Ruger 9mm 1911 lightweight CMD has ramped barrel. My wife has one, she has only put couple hundred rounds through it, but so far feeds fine including 147 HST and 124 Golden Saber, more shooting planned for today.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:02:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I have shot the 4.25” guns extensively. Colt steel frames and a Les Baer .  Last few years I have also put 2200 rounds thru a Springer 4” RO compact.   They have all been very reliable, except for an experience with froglube on the RO and an extractor needing replaced on a colt.

Nothing is 100%, but my 1911s are very close to it.  Any misfeed has always been attributed to a crappy reload or a mag that got weak or really dirty.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 9:38:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies.  I have a Colt Combat Officer in 45 ordered.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 9:58:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice. Give us an update after you shoot it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:45:36 AM EDT
[#8]
It's also easier to find replacement recoil springs for 4.25" guns vs 4.0" guns in my experience.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 1:06:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's also easier to find replacement recoil springs for 4.25" guns vs 4.0" guns in my experience.
View Quote
Cheaper too.  My RO compact dual spring setup is 40.00+.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 9:34:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Dang! I have an older Champion with a 4" barrel and it uses a standard bushing and spring guide setup, although the spring guide is a little shorter than one used in a 5" 1911. Wolff makes a recoil spring for the 4" Champion and can be found on Brownells for little more than $6.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:17:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Dang! I have an older Champion with a 4" barrel and it uses a standard bushing and spring guide setup, although the spring guide is a little shorter than one used in a 5" 1911. Wolff makes a recoil spring for the 4" Champion and can be found on Brownells for little more than $6.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe the dual recoil spring setups last longer. Not 6x as long though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 8:52:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I believe the dual recoil spring setups last longer. Not 6lx as long though.
View Quote
There is a “fix” to allow a standard recoil assembly on the RO compact.  Heck, the slide is even machined for a bushing.
Get a standard bbl or turn down the factory one.

But no way am I going to dick around with something so reliable as this gun.   I’ll deal with the expense.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top