Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2024 1:11:18 AM EDT
Been scoping rough riders out and as I got close to checking out I thought about paying the $50-60 more for the model that come with a 22 mag barrel.

I really have no use for 22 mag at all especially in a single action revolver so I'm not gonna do it but that got me thinking what do people use them for?  

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 3:37:19 AM EDT
[#1]
It's a lotta fun.  Completely different experience.

I really don't shoot LR out of the RR anymore...  22 mag way super fun
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 5:37:00 AM EDT
[#2]
It’s a hoot, mine shoot 22 LR super well so I don’t use the magnum much. But sometimes it’s just fun to pop bottles
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 2:34:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't see the point unless you need the extra oomph for hunting, otherwise it's just overpriced 22lr.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 5:11:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Blacktoothgrin:
Don't see the point unless you need the extra oomph for hunting, otherwise it's just overpriced 22lr.
View Quote

And much louder!
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:14:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: coyotesilencer] [#5]
The barrels are the same and all RR models can take the Magnum cylinder. The cylinders are easy to find for $30 shipped or less, I wouldn't pay $50 more for the magnum models.

I have a few RR's now and every one of them shoots a tighter group with magnums vs LR's. Magnums can be had with actual jacketed bullets. They also have more power for hunting or self defense.

My young son enjoys shooting water filled soda cans with his convertible 22 revolver. He asks for the magnum cylinder because they have a more dramatic effect then LR.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:23:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I will say they as a gun are complete junk. The metals are extremely weak. After the last time I had my son shooting mine he was getting it with lead fragments from the loose tolerance from the cylinder to the barrel. After that I hung it on the wall as a decoration now. It probably had 5-800 rounds thru it.  I bought a Ruger SR22 and he loves that now. Very well built gun.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:50:16 AM EDT
[#7]
puts a trapped coyote or fox down much more decisively
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:18:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't own the The Rough Rider,  but I use a Ruger Single Six with the .22 Mag cylinder.  It's excellent for putting down hogs in the trap.

I would suggest the new Ruger Wrangler deserves a look before the Heritage, they come with adjustable sights and convertible option now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top