Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2024 1:29:00 PM EDT
I’ve recently purchased the latest trend pistol- the Tisas DS9 full-size.   I figured that a double stack 9mm 1911 at that price point was worth the gamble of ~$750 and I wasn’t expecting a prodigy.  

The gun itself runs like a champ, and I believe it punches way above its weight in terms of performance vs cost.  I’ve got close to 2k rounds through it and it’s been more than adaquate and 99.9% reliable past the first mag or two.  

My issue/ question is that the optics cut seems to be off.   Installed a new 407k and when I tried to zero it my rounds were impacting about 6” low at 15 yards.    After some internet research I discovered that ADM makes a plastic shim to help that issue which I installed.   The long and short is- I ended up installing 2 shims to have satisfactory results so I wasn’t maxed out on adjustment and I had room to go either way.      

My gun holds zero just fine but I’m concerned about the possibility of flex leading to broken screws in the slide.    See attached pic.  

I contacted Tisas and thus far their response was to send me a video of how to install an optic.    I was underwhelmed with that response.       Should I be concerned? Should I be mad?    

I don’t want to send the whole gun back, and I’d be happy to trade out a new slide if it’s a warranty issue.   I just value my time too much to screw around with the warranty process and the waiting period.  If the shims don’t pose a real issue I’d just assume leave them.  

I’d be open to the idea that maybe, just maybe I installed the optic wrong but I’ve done this tons of times and it’s honestly a pretty simple process.    Is there a conceivable way that a mid aligned optic would lead to POI bein so low at 15 yards?

What does everyone think?

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:32:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#1]
I think I’ll help you with your pic.

Attachment Attached File

Holy cow that stinks.  Either their machining is way off or the dot frame is.  I wouldn’t be happy.

If you have calipers, pull the slide and the dot and measure from the slide bottom to the optic cut, front and rear.  Hard to believe you did that just mounting it.

Harder to believe there is even a shim available.  I wouldn’t trust that mount solution, having had an optic launched once before, and I didn’t use shims.  The screws just sheared off a solid mount.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:59:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_Man] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DVCER:

Holy cow that stinks.  Either their machining is way off or the dot frame is.  I wouldn't be happy.

If you have calipers, pull the slide and the dot and measure from the slide bottom to the optic cut, front and rear.  Hard to believe you did that just mounting it.

Harder to believe there is even a shim available.  I wouldn't trust that mount solution, having had an optic launched once before, and I didn't use shims.  The screws just sheared off a solid mount.
View Quote
Remember, on a 1911 the barrel is actually pointing downward at the muzzle relative to the slide, so an optics cut on a 1911 slide needs to not be cut level with the top/bottom of the slide, but with the front of the cut a bit lower than the rear.

I thought I heard on some of the Tisas optics cut guns, the first batch went out with flat optics cuts.  People instructed them of the issue and they revised the cut to have the slope on later versions.  I have the MAC 2011, it uses an included mounting adaptor plate for RMR cut and the plate is cut to have the proper incline.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:40:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Personally id be very unhappy. I’d persist in dealing with the manufacturer and insist that defect be corrected.  I know you don’t want to send the whole gun back but if that’s what it took, I’d do it. Having to use aftermarket shims to fix a crappy machining job straight from the factory is unacceptable.  Are you doing everything through email or actually speaking to a person?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:38:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: m4nut] [#4]
Attachment Attached File

I own the very same pistol, and mounted a Vortex instead of Holosun:

Because Holosun is a 'modified' Shield RMSc pattern.

Details.

Here's the Vortex on the same pistol:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Originally I mounted the 1-degree shim under the optic, but found that it was unnecessary.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:07:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m getting up their A$$ about it. The cut is in fact level (verified with calipers). I determined that the lugs don’t correspond with the female holes on the bottom of the optic causing it to sit in a nose positive position. The length of the cut could be modified to allow the male and female lugs to align but- screw that, I want them to make right.    

I asked them by email if they’d send me a new slide and it’s been crickets.    I’m gonna take my lunch and call them tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:53:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Interesting.  I encountered the same problem with a Swampfox Sentinel on my Night Stalker DS that I picked up a couple of weeks ago.  Thought it was odd, but I was able to barely zero it with a paper shim quite a bit thinner than that picture.  The dot is bottomed out on its adjustment though.  

Sounds like a more widespread problem.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top